MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

scarlett 18i20 latency performance and use as ADAT
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author scarlett 18i20 latency performance and use as ADAT
wahee
hello

I currently record with a 2nd Gen Focusrite scarlett 18i20 and octopre. I use Cubase 9 and have been finding the performance not so great. Clicks and pops galore. Even disabling the processing VST's on the stereo output bus makes no difference

With a few virtual instruments and some midi data the best latency I can get is 512 samples at 48k. Results in 22ms.
This even just using two inputs.

My PC is pretty meaty with i7 processor high end graphics card and 32GB ram m2 SSDs

Latency Mon is all in the green

I have tried all the unusual tweaks but have come to the conclusion that either Cubase / USB or the Focusrite is just not up to it.

So

I have decided to look at RME. I was thinking of getting the Digiface USB device and using my OCtopre as an ADAT

My questions were.
Can I also use the Scarlett 18i20as an ADAT device
Has anyone had any experience of the RME Digiface USB under Cubase?

many thanks
Kennymester
The USB driver on Focusrite just aren't that great no matter the product you use. Their Thunderbolt products are much faster. RME however has some of the best USB drivers out there. You should have a much better experience. Have no idea if you can use your Focusrite as an ADAT. I'd email them and ask.
tehyar
Check this out.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360001374299-Connectin g-a-Scarlett-18i20-to-a-Scarlett-18i8-via-ADAT

Follow the 18i20 setup but sync it to adat and you're probably good.
ranix
I've noticed some significant latency when just using the device's internal routing to send signals from an input to an output, through an fx processor, and back to an input. I don't use any software processing, I only record when using my 18i20

I only record in 44.1khz, I've had issues with USB disconnects when using 48 or 96khz on both Mac and Windows.

I do attach an 8 channel ADAT expander to the 18i20. The device has both inputs and outputs. The Scarlett has 8 channels of input from an ADAT device and 8 channels of output to an ADAT device, so I have two cables going between my expander and my Scarlett. There is some latency (unsure how much) as noted above when directing an input to an output. It is only possible to send 8 channels of output to ADAT as far as I know.

I believe I sync to the device by a 75Ω BNC World Clock cable and I do not use the digital signal from either ADAT cable to sync
wahee
Many thanks for the suggestions and info. I just ordered the Digiface USB so I shall see how it performs VS the Focusrite.

Kennymester yea the Focusrite was never good, even compared to my old UR22 as far as latency goes. Such as pity.

I was maybe going to get a new PC with thunderbolt and all that but it's quite a big step.

That guide tehyar was good and hopefully it will get me in the right direction. The Scarlet sounds pretty good and I like the dual headphone outputs. Hopefully the RME will quicken the interface considerably. There may be some added latency with the ADAT but hopefully minimal

ranix very interesting about the delay. I was considering going down this route. I have 20 plus analogue synths and was going to add them all to ADAT with loops for the external FX I have. Currently they are in a 16 channel mixer and the output just into the analogue inputs 1&2. This works ok so I may wall just keep this arrangement
ranix
wahee wrote:

ranix very interesting about the delay. I was considering going down this route. I have 20 plus analogue synths and was going to add them all to ADAT with loops for the external FX I have. Currently they are in a 16 channel mixer and the output just into the analogue inputs 1&2. This works ok so I may wall just keep this arrangement

Yep that's what I'm doing. It works well since I record each return separately and can time shift them after the fact as-needed. For live effects on voice when I'm streaming something it's noticeable but not terrible, and some of the latency is from my cheap FX unit anyway. If you're also applying live fx from VSTs that would sure be an awful lot of latency though.

I'm using a Behringer ADA8200 for the 8 additional inputs and outputs over ADAT. Some people complain the preamps are bad but I don't notice any issues with the stuff I have plugged into it.
mojopin
Well, I use a lynx aes16 with Cubase 10 and latest pc. I too can't really run it past 512 (half that for a light session) but I get along with the latency. I record at 44k. However, I can really load down the computer which is awesome.
wahee
hello all and thanks for posting back.

Well I went ahead and bought a RME Digiface USB last week. I must say it's great. Small dinky device but really well made. I plugged it in and downloads the drivers. When I rebooted, it had automatically installed the control panel and the Total mix program.

I tried it with Cubase 9 and with 48k/24bit I was immediately able to get 256 as opposed to 512 with just the focusrite. I did get the occasional pop and stutter at 128 but it was not that bad. I also put the RME on it's USB internal hub, sharing no other resources.

I found the total mix and the focusrite monitor programs a little confusing to get to work together, but basically it seems that once setup the focusrite software is rarely needed again. I just used a custom mix, with all inputs and outputs available. If one doesn't do this then the focusrite seems to act as 'closed' with inputs/outputs inactive.

The Octopre was added to the RME 2nd ADAT channel. At first it wouldn't 'lock' but kept bouncing between 'sync' and 'lock' but I used the wordclock BNC instead of the fibre optic connection and all was well. The failure on optical may be due to the Octopre only having ADAT out optical connection

So just to complicate things further, I ordered a Behringer ADA8200 ADAT front end, so we will see how that plays with the rest of the kit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1