MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do you pander to the crowd or do your own thing?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Do you pander to the crowd or do your own thing?
Daisy
So you do a song. It's not your thing and you do it as a mess about. But it becomes popular. So do you give in and create similar songs to "pander to the crowd", or do you do what's right for you and remain free from the main stream, ignore the chance to make money by selling your soul to the in thing.

So do you do your own thing, and do what's right for you and ignore the chance to make easy money, but doing what's demanded of you rather than what you like to do?

Pick one or the other seriously, i just don't get it
slicetwo
We do what we want since it's not our day jobs. Makes it easier to have fun with the music.
tehyar
I pander to the do your own thing crowd. We all respect each other because we hate each other's shitty music.
MARK27
In my teens/20s/30s, I wanted to be a rock star and musically pandered like a corporate lobbyist.

Then I gave up wanting to be a rock star and aspired to be a better human being and live for my family.

Now, my music panders to no one.

The music business is evil!
DiscoDevil
Do my own thing.
SyndieBot2000XL
I think if you have the talent to make music that you don’t really *feel*, but still makes other people feel things, then why not?

Someone with that kind of ability in my experience can easily do both and have time, energy, and ideas to spare.
authorless
Hahaha, don't kid yourself. My music will never be popular.
ranix
what crowd
starthief
Daisy wrote:
So you do a song. It's not your thing and you do it as a mess about. But it becomes popular. So do you give in and create similar songs to "pander to the crowd", or do you do what's right for you and remain free from the main stream, ignore the chance to make money by selling your soul to the in thing.

If I do something that's not in my normal domains, it probably sucks. So I not only don't pander to the crowd, I mock their poor taste until they go away.

As far as souls go, it's a buyer's market. I'm better off sticking to my day job and making music for myself and my spooky muse.
crawling wind
Yeah, that's what I want to know.

ranix wrote:
what crowd
bwhittington
crawling wind wrote:
Yeah, that's what I want to know.

ranix wrote:
what crowd

Hey, speak for yourself! There were like eleven doods at our last show. And three of them jumped up the second we went on. They only wanted to snap pics of our synths, but still. Throngs of fans.

My objective in my spare room is to please myself (tee hee). My objective playing or sharing music is to connect with the crowd. Poor me, it’s never really happened. lol I just make a poor assumption that everyone must be into the same stuff I’m into.

But the OP is talking about making money. I'm talking about making a few people stop and be into the music for a second. That's how low the bar is over here.
commodorejohn
The "crowd" in my case mostly consists of friends and family members, but regardless, I've always tried to make the kind of music that I enjoy listening to. Sometimes that's short, fairly conventional synthpop; other times it's long-form proggy space-rock suites - but it's always me trying to make the kind of music that I love hearing.

authorless wrote:
Hahaha, don't kid yourself. My music will never be popular.

And yes, also this. The music that most speaks to me has been an obscure little niche market since the mid-'70s, 'nuff said.
Pugilistas
Watched Harry Belofante tell a story about how his grandmother sat him down after he decided he wanted to be a singer. She told him to never sing a song he didn't like, because as sure as he did, it would become a hit, and he'd have to sing it every day for the rest of his life.

With a wry grin, he launched into the Banana Boat Song....
Muff McMuff
chaocrator
Daisy wrote:
So do you do your own thing, and do what's right for you and ignore the chance to make easy money, but doing what's demanded of you rather than what you like to do?

Pick one or the other seriously, i just don't get it

why pick one or the other?
i pick both in this kind of situation.
i could earn money with more popular project to sponsor less popular.
and i know some people who did exactly this successfully.
tehyar
Something today made me think of this thread.

Showed a friend of mine a pic of my studio, that I've been reorganizing and reassembling this weekend.

Response: Why do you need all that? Just buy an old fax machine and call yourself, sounds like the same shit.

hihi
h4ndcrafted
Say wut ?
Muzone
I would 'pander to the crowd' if it earned me enough cash to quit the day job, as someone said above you could then use the income to sponsor your own thing smile
cscairney
I do my own crowd and often pander to myself.
Panason
The crowd panders to me. They literally beg me to play but I 'm too busy in the studio.
h4ndcrafted
Panason wrote:
The crowd panders to me. They literally beg me to play but I 'm too busy in the studio.

It’s ok , we don’t mind really, you’re quite the performer here hihi
gentle_attack
What does this have to do with General Gear again?
Rost + Licht
In the words of Mike Banks:

"Are you playing the music,
or
are you getting played?"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1