MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

R*S Stereo Mixer Questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author R*S Stereo Mixer Questions
luketeaford
I have been considering getting the R*S Stereo Mixer for a couple of years now, but I was wondering if someone could help me understand how it works:

Possibly this is particular to the Eurorack version...

1. AUX L and AUX R inputs are audio inputs, but what does the arrow under them mean? I would guess IN 2 is normalled to AUX L and IN 1 is normalled to AUX R?

2. How much difference do the THAT2180B (or A or C) ICs make? The manual says A is "better, more $$$"

https://randomsource.net/docs/RandomSource_StereoMixer_Euro_1.3.pdf

3. Does anyone use it with the low pass filtering CV mode and if so can you comment on that? I think I would tend to prefer the "plops" and "abuses" the manual references. It seems using an SSG or DUSG to slew the incoming CV slightly would solve that externally without needing to opt-in to the more difficult trimming procedure.
JesperP
Aux L and Aux Rare external inputs that bypasses the gain and pan controls. Aux L being hard panned to Out L and Aux R to Out R.

1: the arrows indicates the direction the pan moves for the two channels. In the L ch the pan moves from L to R with positive cv’s and the pan pot all the way ccw. The R channel you need to turn the pan pot all the way cw to get the same response.
2: not much difference soundwise as I understand it. I think I put type B in mine.
3: I didn’t do that option on mine. I prefer just to slew my cv’s if I want smooth movements.

It’s a killer module capable of busting your speakers if you’re not careful combining manual gain with cv control. The only thing you have to be aware of is that the inputs bleeds a tiny bit through the aux inputs so you won’t get complete silence. There’s an easy mod that you can do that eliminates this.
Corrupt
I think it sounds pretty crappy at any setting beyond cleanish normal VCA gain, so not a great distortion or drive or anything like that. And somehow the CV ranges don't work anything like as nicely as the STS X Fader (don't have an UAP but have heard a friend say that sounds better too). The panning is fine.

That module was the only disappointment on my La Bestia II, much as I hate to admit it.
syncretism
I’ll echo Corrupt’s sentiments, here. Apart from the balanced outputs, I’m somewhat underwhelmed but this module. I really don’t like the sound of it overdriving, either.
luketeaford
Thanks for the responses -- I am a little afraid of the speaker breaking aspect of it since I'm hoping to put my Serge system in my living room and let whoever drops by play with it, but I might have to be careful with that.

In light of this it seems non-essential since I really like the top section of the VCM and the Active Processor used as a VCA sounds good to me.
Biom
luketeaford wrote:
I am a little afraid of the speaker breaking aspect of it

That's pretty normal serge vca's behaviour. Lots of gain, which is more good than bad, I think.

May I ask you, if you are considering the 4u or the 3u module?

I've been puzzled with the same question regarding the 3u serge and came to conclusion (by playing with the 4u) that serge vca's have no "magic". That is just an auditory/subjective observation and I'm very interested, what option you went for finally.
harolddonnelly
Corrupt wrote:
I think it sounds pretty crappy at any setting beyond cleanish normal VCA gain, so not a great distortion or drive or anything like that. And somehow the CV ranges don't work anything like as nicely as the STS X Fader (don't have an UAP but have heard a friend say that sounds better too). The panning is fine.

That module was the only disappointment on my La Bestia II, much as I hate to admit it.

Are you experiencing any bleed from the outputs when using just using the normal ins when the volume is all the way off?
warnton
no bleeding at al in the 3U version
MindMachine
Biom wrote:
luketeaford wrote:
I am a little afraid of the speaker breaking aspect of it

That's pretty normal serge vca's behaviour. Lots of gain, which is more good than bad, I think.

Do not let folks just diddle with a Serge output VCA. You will lose speakers, hearing or cats. Huge gain. Huge sound. Put a governor on it.
Corrupt
harolddonnelly wrote:
Corrupt wrote:

Are you experiencing any bleed from the outputs when using just using the normal ins when the volume is all the way off?

No. I actually never use this module without one or two scaling processors. Feels so wasteful but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
luketeaford
Thanks for the advice, folks-- I will stick with APROC and VCM in this system. I never thought I'd say it, but I think the serge is raw and loud enough as is lol
ilya.n
So, just to confirm, if I put Gain to maximum (without VCA modulation plugged in) it sounds MASSIVELY QUITER comparing to the piercing loudness of it when being modulated by a DUSG output... this is correct behaviour?
Thank you.
syncretism
That’s how mine works.
mestlick
I think of the gain knob more as an offset to the modulation, and not a control of it's own. With a full DUSG modulation I have gain at 9:00, and make small adjustments from there.

I patch a constant voltage to the gain cv if I want to hear something w/o modulation.

(this is on LW 4U, but I'm guessing all the circuits are similar)

(I've also found similar behavior on the 73-75 gate. It requires that the gain knob be about 9:00 for normal use, and does not really get very loud w/o modulation)
woodster
warnton wrote:

My (v1.3 PCB) 3U version bleeds very noticeably.
I think I saw a Logan Erickson post on Farcebook about a 10k Resistor to ground on the Aux inputs fixing it.
I hope to try out that modification soon as it's a simple thing to try and the bleed is indeed very irritating.
harolddonnelly
woodster wrote:
warnton wrote:

My (v1.3 PCB) 3U version bleeds very noticeably.
I think I saw a Logan Erickson post on Farcebook about a 10k Resistor to ground on the Aux inputs fixing it.
I hope to try out that modification soon as it's a simple thing to try and the bleed is indeed very irritating.

Anyone experiencing bleed with the 4U V1.2?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1