MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Problems with Erbe-Verb: Humming and High-Pitched Noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Problems with Erbe-Verb: Humming and High-Pitched Noise
Herr Rausch
Hello folks,

I've bought an Erbe-verb from ebay and experience two problems with it. Maybe some people have the same issues and can help me with that.

Firstly, it introduces quite a loud mid-frequency humming noise (nothing patched). It goes away as I unplug a few other modules, especially my 4ms wav recorder. I thought the problem here might be that everything together is too power hungry. But my Doepfer A-100 DIY PSU provides up to 1200 mA + 12V, 1200 mA -12V and the overall power consumption is 1176 mA +12V, 750mA -12V. So the power consumption is still below the possible maximum. Could it still be a power problem?

Secondly, the module makes this annoying really high-pitched noise, which sometimes different electronic devices, like power chargers oder cheap Behringer Mixers make. Is that the case with every Erbe-verb, or is it just mine? And can something be one about it?

Thanks a lot help
macs4music
The latest firmware helped with the noise floor: http://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/erbe-verb

Neil
lohacker
Can't help with your problem but a safe limit for power consumption is around 80% of your PSU specs. Try removing some digital or power hungry modules to see if this noise disappears.
Herr Rausch
lohacker wrote:
Can't help with your problem but a safe limit for power consumption is around 80% of your PSU specs. Try removing some digital or power hungry modules to see if this noise disappears.

thanks, so I guess I have to get a more powerful psu
Herr Rausch
macs4music wrote:
The latest firmware helped with the noise floor: http://www.makenoisemusic.com/modules/erbe-verb

Neil

thanks, I did that and it helps with the noise floor audiowise. but the high-frequency whine stays there. I think it's the same thing some other (cheaper) electronic devices do as said. I'm wondering if that's normal and maybe some or most people don't hear it because the frequency is so high, or if my unit is faulty
macs4music
Hmm I hear a whine from my Morphagene so it probably is digital in nature. I tune it out.
Herr Rausch
thanks for your opinions. I can't get rid of it and it's just too annoying. Gonna send it back seriously, i just don't get it
cheers
PompeiiRuler
Had the same issues a while back and somehow able to rectify it.
Update the firmware for a starter.
I moved it around cases, changed modules around it and removed modules until the noise and hum vanished. It seems it really doesn't like a power supply >80% capacity.
I sometimes now have the same issues of hum and clock noise with the morphogene but that's for a different thread.
hinterlands303
Definitely try moving it around in the case if you haven't already (or to another case if you've got one). I've had problems caused by troublesome (usually digital) modules which have caused high pitched noises in otherwise well behaved modules. Also as said I would never go higher than 80% of recommended power - some manufacturers aren't accurate with their power specs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1