MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Why not filter after VCA/dynamics?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Why not filter after VCA/dynamics?
Bath House
I ended up doing a few “filter last” patches recently and was surprised that it didn’t really make a difference or even gave an interesting new flavor since the filter was now working on different dynamics and doing things like resonating differently depending on the dynamics of the incoming VCA output. In 20 years of modular I’ve somehow never explored this.
sduck
Of course! Why not? That's the beauty of modular - you can put anything anywhere.
ranix
I do occasionally. It's good to have a gate or a second VCA after the filter since filters are noisy. Also, you'll get a DC component in your output signal when using a low pass filter as the final module in your signal chain. It's actually just very slowly oscillating, but it looks and acts like DC and can wreak havok when mixed with other signals.
jakobprogsch
I guess this will become more common with the recent proliferation of stereo filters. Having one VCA in front of the filter is easier than having tow after. QPAS even has a VCA built in like that.
Taylor
The modular filter I use most is a DIY Polivoks, which has a very nice distortion character to my ears. I put the VCA before that filter all the time, since it sounds very different with a dynamic input.
Blairio
I have a TipTop Z2040 Eurorack filter. Mine is the V2 model. Earlier or later versions may differ from what I describe below.

Aside from being a great sounding filter with resonance-gain-compensation, my Z2040 has a built in VCA. Three three jumpers on the rear of the PCB determine its behaviour.

1.Removing jumper 1 disables the VCA.
2. Depending on the positions of jumpers 2 and 3 the VCA stage is placed before or after the filter,

Note that with the VCA configured to come after the Filter, unless you apply a CV to the VC-Gain input, no sound comes out of the filter. This caused me much puzzlement until I RTFM.

So TipTop fully understood the value of giving the user the choice of whether the VCA stage should sit before or after the filter stage.
MindMachine
I like to put a staccato voice via VCA into my EMW Triple VC Bandpass Filter and sweep each BP channel's CV input with three different LFO speeds.
Dcramer
I do this fairly often to get some range and control of the filters drive characteristics. thumbs up
R.U.Nuts
You can also ping a filter by applying a very short envelope to the VCA in front of your filter. With a voltage controlled envelope you could then sequence the envelope lenght and thus switch between filtered audio and pinged filter.
tito_tunes
The reason why it’s not typically done is that if you have high res on your filter it’ll just drone on and not be gated with the notes. That said I like to use filters on almost everything when mixing, not just synth sounds, but I won’t go into self oscillation with the resonance
chvad
this is generally my preferred way to patch!
Bath House
tito_tunes wrote:
The reason why it’s not typically done is that if you have high res on your filter it’ll just drone on and not be gated with the notes. That said I like to use filters on almost everything when mixing, not just synth sounds, but I won’t go into self oscillation with the resonance

I actually thought this was cool on a recent patch - like a guitar feeding back when not played. You’d articulate the notes and then let it ring until the next notes.
jorg
I usually put the filter last. My VCAs tend to distort and I'm not a big distortion fan. Plus, pinging is very useful to me. With my Doepfer triple filter I can get some nice drum/percussive sounds.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1