MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla 100 Series is officially back!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Buchla 100 Series is officially back!
deltaphoenix
This was unexpected, I just saw a post on BUSA’s Facebook page . The gist is in conjunction w/Morton Subotnick and the San Francisco Tape Center the 100 Series is being released as kits and built. This is a BUSA collaboration with The Human Comparator. Also, Todd Barton is involved.

They are showing the system at Knobcon so I expect more details and videos soon.
LVU
In the facebook comment they also wrote:

"We are re-releasing the 200 series as well." woah
reverberation

I was lucky enough to get a short demonstration by The Human Comparator of his 100 system 1.5 years ago. BEAUTIFUL!
sempervirent
Spotted this on Instagram earlier. Seems like a good move by BUSA. Bug-free 200-series reissues would also be welcome. Hopefully there will be some (optional?) mods to get closer interoperability between 100/200 control voltages.

Original FB post is here for reference:
https://www.facebook.com/BuchlaUSA/photos/a.579749198748262/2460760323 980464/

And here's a shot of the system from a Knobcon visitor. This appears to be the same system by zthee/THC posted above.

mutierend
Looks like it's time to sell some stock.
Peake
Congrats to Human Comparator!

Standard questions apply: Will the new modules and kits co-exist with other modules and kits not from BUSA or will there be a Declaration...imagine if access to the 200 Series became solely production modules in an expected price range.
LVU
I am curious if they also have a partner for the 200 series.
Being a clones user buying from builders, this looks interesting. Also curious about pricing. At the moment I am expanding into 200e, hope they don't forget about their flagship with all this new stuff happening.
JesperP
Very interesting and imo welcomed move of Buchla to team up with THC on this one. It’s gonna be interesting to see what the diy prices.
blw
Keeping me on the edge of my seat now. Enjoy the show!

Don might never have done this, but it is a logical direction for Buchla USA, I think. Honor a legacy and meet obvious demand for the classic lines. If all they ever did was offer the 100 and 200 series and perhaps refine 200e, that would be an amazing catalog of modules.

As mentioned above, interoperability seems critical to me. I'd be into adding a compatible raw and gutsy 158, say, but not really a full 100 system. Unless they were priced like the basic modules they are, perhaps.
misa
I'm *so* looking forward to the new 259...!

and a reliable 248?
revtor
Isn’t this basically the red panel modules? So they’re slapping their name on two clone systems of the same modules?

Confuse
cygmu
The Human Comparator managed to put together clones of quite a few more 100-series modules than the Red Panel range, so there's a chance that Buchla will be able to put out a very full range here without much effort. You can see what he built at
http://www.theonehundreds.com/

The 4U 100-clones run on the original power supplied (0 - 15V and 24V) while the Red Panel are Euro +/-12V so I guess there's a small amount more effort needed to put the Red Panels together, but only a bit.
Peake
Dave Brown has just posted mods to the Roman 245 and 246, one mod specifically eliminating the +24V rail so Catalyst must have had to redesign that part of the 180 etc. as well to work with a maximum +12V Euro rail. Some redesign must have occurred.

The original Buchla 100 power supply featured a smoothed but unregulated +24V rail. Anyone building a system can use the original supply if it's cloned as part of the system or a good +15V unipolar supply plus a simple 1A or 2A +24V wall wart. Only a few modules used +24V (190, 180, etc.)
snufkin
can't wait to buy a cover album of silver apples of the moon released on really thin vinyl! hihi
levelhead3
I wonder if these are going to be through hole or surface mount? Weren't the Catalyst 100 modules redesigned as surface mount before their release as Red Panel?
njdoyle
levelhead3 wrote:
I wonder if these are going to be through hole or surface mount? Weren't the Catalyst 100 modules redesigned as surface mount before their release as Red Panel?

Through hole: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194298&sid=235938232 ef642405ab3fb253926aaf8
vgermuse
Catalyst Audio partnered with BuchlaUSA to do the Red Panel.
The Human Comparator partnered with BuchlaUSA to do this one-to-one
replica of the 4U Buchla 100 with original components and yes, through hole.
w00t
levelhead3
Excellent!!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
Fuzz
misa wrote:
I'm *so* looking forward to the new 259...!

and a reliable 248?

Lotsa Love I'll also take a side order of a 219 and a 288 without the noise.
djangosfire
I wish Muffwiggler Mike was here to see this... he would have been so excited waah .... Thank you for sharing.... this is epic and awesome news we're not worthy SlayerBadger!

vgermuse wrote:
Catalyst Audio partnered with BuchlaUSA to do the Red Panel.
The Human Comparator partnered with BuchlaUSA to do this one-to-one
replica of the 4U Buchla 100 with original components and yes, through hole.
w00t
Prunesquallor
This hasn't stopped existing kits being sold by lasesentaysiete.com, just sayin'.

Any advantage other than the Buchla endorsement?
beyourdog
Prunesquallor wrote:
This hasn't stopped existing kits being sold by lasesentaysiete.com, just sayin'.

Not much, appart for paying a premium...The sun is rising on the nothing new...
blw
Prunesquallor wrote:

Something conceived as a system vs. multiple builders, consistent design, presumable retail availability, support. Can’t speak to the 100 but all of the 200 clone builds are not of the same quality. Hopefully they differentiate prebuilt vs diy somehow.
polyroy
Having just dipped my toes into the DIY world and loving it, the prospect of kits for this is exciting - especially given my euro system generally being based around Buchla modules.
shoegazer86
This has been a hard secret to keep, but now I can speak a bit freely about it. With all the research I've completed on 100 and 200 recently, Ive been speaking to Eric directly since March. So it was hard not to spill a single bean.

Only nitpick from me, mainly that the 155 is a Buchla Associates module and not SFTMC. But that's me being a pain in the butt.

Overall I am very impressed with how receptive Buchla USA has been to those in the DIY community and its a breath of fresh air to see that from a company.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3