MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternative to Alpha 9mm pot?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Alternative to Alpha 9mm pot?
Lemmy
I have a project which requires quite a few pots. I was looking for pots which a) fit the same footprint as Alphas b) have 6mm shaft for narrower knobs c) are cheaper than thonk Alpha 9mm vertical pots, and d) are still of good quality.

Has anyone tried this one in an Alpha footprint?
https://uk.farnell.com/alps/rk09k1130c94/pot-rotary-100k-17mm-20/dp/11 91742

The snap-in parts' footprint is slightly different - wondered it might still be useable.

Any other suggestions welcome.
Noodle Twister
Not sure if this is useful but

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/100k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometer-r ound-knurled-plastic-shaft-pcb-9mm.html

It does has 6mm shaft, wonder if the micro knobs could be fitted to them ?

If not you can use a uni paint marker to paint your own stripe in the notch.

I'm assuming the pots are quite close to each other ?
Lemmy
Noodle Twister wrote:
I'm assuming the pots are quite close to each other ?

Yep. I also have some existing modules where space is really tight and would like to replace the existing 6.35mm shaft pots with 6mm ones, so that I can use micro knobs or similar.

That looks like a pretty good option. A bonus would be one with a thread for mounting to the panel.
SyndieBot2000XL
I built out a hexinverter sympleseq and a York modular matrix mixer using those tayda plastic shaft pots. They fit the cheapo 6mm knurled shaft knobs I got on amazon really well. The shaft length is a bit short, so press-on knurled shaft knobs may not have quite enough to grab onto depending on how thick your faceplate is. The sympleseq has an aluminum faceplate, and I can use knobs there, but the YoMo module has a thick Perspex faceplate that doesn’t quite leave enough for a knob to grab on to.

Knocked off around a third/half of my build cost for both modules though, so there’s that.

None of those plastic shaft pots have panel mount threads as far as I can tell.
Lemmy
Thanks, useful to know
Noodle Twister
SyndieBot2000XL wrote:
I built out a hexinverter sympleseq and a York modular matrix mixer using those tayda plastic shaft pots. They fit the cheapo 6mm knurled shaft knobs I got on amazon really well. The shaft length is a bit short, so press-on knurled shaft knobs may not have quite enough to grab onto depending on how thick your faceplate is. The sympleseq has an aluminum faceplate, and I can use knobs there, but the YoMo module has a thick Perspex faceplate that doesn’t quite leave enough for a knob to grab on to.

Knocked off around a third/half of my build cost for both modules though, so there’s that.

None of those plastic shaft pots have panel mount threads as far as I can tell.

Thanks for this, I have a YoMo matrix mixer in the build queue, so will probably go for the Song huei tall trimmer pots. The shaft length of the pots I linked definitely aren't the longest. They would however have plenty of room around them in tight pot cluster.

Credit to Rakits for the uni paint marker information if you don't mind cheap and cheerful.

Jazz up your knobs with a white line – the easy way! I found one on ebay for £3
SyndieBot2000XL
Great tip on the paint pens. I just swabbed a little white-out on the tops of the knobs - that left me with a white top with a black indicator line. This looks like it will give better results in pretty much every way. Thanks for that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1