MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

EURORACK THRUZERO COMPARISON
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author EURORACK THRUZERO COMPARISON
airfrankenstein
Wondering how the following newer models compare for analogue TZFM ?
Demos make some appear more exciting than others.

DANNYSOUND EN129 (triangle core)
vs
NLC PLAGUE OF DEMONS
vs
KLANGBAU TZVCO (saw core)

edit : looking to keep the price range under 300 euros
oudplayer
There's also the doepfer A-110-4, and the Joranalogue and SSF TZFM oscillators will be out later in the year. I've only myself heard the Dannysound of the ones you mentioned, it sounded good...
brandonlogic
theres also the Rubicon 2

i have the doepfer A-110-4's and they are great except if you put a vca before the fm input it can be tricky to not get pitch shift.
you need to apply a little offset to make it work. dosnt bother me because though, i love how they sound.
Jaypee
Omega-Phi II.... love
sir stony
I don't own it, but there's also http://www.liivatera.com/Products/Synthesisers/TZ_VCO/
And from my good experience with other Liivatera modules, that's definitely worth a consideration.
boubi
I second Sir Stony. I love Liivatera and went for theirs, as my immediate choice. Didn't disappoint. Worthy of notice, comes with a wide choice of very interesting, solid waveforms, including a rare pwm circuit (you can chose the direction for sync). Instructions could be more specific, though. Yet I managed tzfm without fuss.
My second choice would have been Omega-Phi.
boubi
Besides, I am fond of NLC, have lots of them, and have found a friend's Plague experiments very convincing. If you intend to restrict your choice to the three modules you mention, you'll probably enjoy it.
boubi
Edit : double post.
damase
dont forget the FM modulator makes a lot of difference for the sound also, same with the index vca, which is one reason why an included index vca is a very very nice feature... for me its a quality of life necessity

my personal favorite is omega phi, for the tone
rubicon 2 has an amazing feature to “lock” the tuning while adjusting the symmetry. pretty unique and seems amazing
Parnelli
I have a Rubicon and it's awesome! I'd love to get a Rubicon 2 to go with it for sure!
luchog
brandonlogic wrote:

i have the doepfer A-110-4's and they are great except if you put a vca before the fm input it can be tricky to not get pitch shift.
you need to apply a little offset to make it work. dosnt bother me because though, i love how they sound.

Anyone know if that's the same with the A-110-6? Have been considering picking one up for a while.
peripatitis
very often forgotten but Birkid's bateleur was also thru-zero
Switchzik
I just wrote about the Rubicon 2, I copy/paste here smile

I'm also really enjoying the Rubicon 2. The lock feature for TZFM is ace and its index VCA helps a lot for nice FM timber.
The 3 different types of sine and PWM are cool and the octave switch too.

On top of that I really like to put its own sine to the wavefolder (x input, warp circuit), really great sound ! With 2 CV in but also 2 modes (squish on/off) that offer different fold style, it can be tamed or not.
Put the warp output to a LPG and call it a day, lovely smooth timber out of it.

It takes up some rack space in my 6U but it's the VCO I've enjoyed the most (with Just Friend - or one modulating the other). It's super playable, easy to understand and limitless.
nectarios
EN129 and A-110-4 here. Love them both for different reasons.
A-110-4 sounds great for what it costs.
Pighood
Cyclebox II, bitches fap fap fap...
MvK
I've had the Omega phi 2 and now have the doepfer A-110-4.

Both are great. I sold the excellent Schippmann because for my LiveAct it was too much. If I could have afforded it it would still be here. Still miss the precision. The doepfer lacks that precision but sounds wonderful. I'm planning to buy the Generate3 by Joranalogue if its anywhere near the quality of the other modules by Joranalogue.
airfrankenstein
boubi wrote:
Besides, I am fond of NLC, have lots of them, and have found a friend's Plague experiments very convincing. If you intend to restrict your choice to the three modules you mention, you'll probably enjoy it.

Thanks, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the NLC modules I've tried
Regarding the PoD I was wondering if it's possible to get the more habituel TZFM tones of the other two - I like mayhem but not all the time smile
insoul8
Shapeshifter is thru zero as well when using internal fm.
brandonlogic
insoul8 wrote:
Shapeshifter is thru zero as well when using internal fm.

true, though he did say hes interested in analog tzfm

luchog wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

Anyone know if that's the same with the A-110-6? Have been considering picking one up for a while.

I believe it does have the same quirk.
smithjohn
My NLC Plague of Demons could use some calibration regarding 1v/oct tracking, but it can make TZFM noises that aren't complete mayhem. Just turn the self control off, tune your modulation osc and mind modulation depth. The built-in VCA for modulation is super handy as stated above.
I really like the sound of the PoD, especially with a nice wavefolder such as Toppo TWF SlayerBadger!
Shledge
I'm only interested in listening to serious musical applications of TZFM /s
appliancide
Shledge wrote:

Always amusing when people get butthurt about experts giving their opinions about things they have studied. /s
airfrankenstein
damase wrote:
dont forget the FM modulator makes a lot of difference for the sound also, same with the index vca, which is one reason why an included index vca is a very very nice feature... for me its a quality of life necessity

rubicon 2 has an amazing feature to “lock” the tuning while adjusting the symmetry. pretty unique and seems amazing

good point, i'm leaning towards either klangbau or nlc.
On the klangbau is the lin fm pot the equivalent of modulation index ?
I already have an a-110-4).
damase
airfrankenstein wrote:
damase wrote:

good point, i'm leaning towards either klangbau or nlc.
On the klangbau is the lin fm pot the equivalent of modulation index ?
I already have an a-110-4).

just by looking at the panel, i think the “lin fm mod” is equivilant to index vca with attenuator pot.... i believe so. very nice for small hp. the a-110-4 does not have one
Shledge
appliancide wrote:
Shledge wrote:

Always amusing when people get butthurt about experts giving their opinions about things they have studied. /s

"Butthurt" is stretch, just found the original comment to be hilariously ridiculous, almost like a sage staring intently into a bowl of water or something to make the process seem more important than it is. Since then I fondly think about it from time to time. I made this as a result lol

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2