MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Solina String Synth DIY - hex from .ino?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Solina String Synth DIY - hex from .ino?
stekme
Hi.
Find interesting DIY midi synth
https://moroccodave.com/2017/09/13/diy-modular-synth-solina-string-syn th/

I open in Arduino solina_code.ino
But can't convert it into HEX to upload with AVISPmkII.
Because have error:
solina_code:24:18: error: MIDI.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

As I understand - there man include this external MIDI.h file into .ino
I not work before with Arduino (and now need just classical HEX to use). Cant find this midi.h

Also project is unclear to me about how to add firmware to ATMega328P?
I think to use just 2x14 legs IC. But as understand J1 and J2 not for firmware upload?

If anybody interesting - it can be helpful for me. Thank You
Starspawn
I think you need that midi library to compile.
https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/MIDILibrary/
quarterturn
Interesting, but a long way from the Solina sound. It needs a proper ensemble chorus. Sounds like maybe it can do the Randy Neuman vox humana sound though.
JimY
Get it working on an Arduino Uno or compatible board that uses the 328 chip but find one with the 28pin DIP version of the chip in a socket (you can get it in kit or barebones versions). Upload the compiled sketch via the Arduino USB. The pre-programmed bootloader in the Arduino 328 will take care of that.

Remove the programmed 328 and fit it in your own board that provides the 16Mhz crystal and 5v power for the 328. In the Arduino board, the 328 UART is used for the USB interface, but you will need the UART for the MIDI interface instead.

It ought to be possible to compile to HEX and program a bare 328 chip using 6pin ISP serial connection. But I think it's better to program an Arduino sketch in a complete Arduino environment in order to reduce uncertainty.
stekme
Thank You. Found localised version of UNO in my country.
Does I need to use boot loaded versions of ATMega?
JimY
The Arduino method does require a chip with the bootloader in it.
You can get cheap UNO type boards without USB with which you also need a separate USB to Serial adapter which you only need to program it with, but it still needs a bootloader in the target chip.

A big advantage with Arduino AVR's is that they should also have the option fuses set to run from the 16Mhz clock crystal. A raw chip from Atmel is set to run from the internal clock at 1Mhz. This causes a lot of trouble for those wishing to program directly with compiled code unless they know how and when to set those fuses.
Grumble
I have built this solina some time ago, and it sounds realy good, especially when playing three notes simultanious.
Different from moroccodave I just used an arduino board I bought for less than 2$ from one of the chinese stores.
stekme
Thank You for HEX. But now I not understand where to connect programmatic pins on board)) pins marked at J1 and J2 for other connections... Already buy UNO to program ICs with DIP slots. Try to build it at near time.
JimY
I do not know which J1 or J2 you are referring to. If you want to program a standard Mega328 directly with the AVRISP device, I think you have to use the 6pin ISP cable and connect to the appropriate chip pins. I use an AVR Dragon programmer and that's the method I usually use.
Grumble
you can also use an arduino to program the chip using isp pins.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Program-ATmega-328-Using-Arduino-Ardu ino-As-ISP/
JimY
Unfortunately, many programming tutorials don't work for one reason. The author worked with target chips that had already been programmed and forgets that that means the clock fuses have already been set for the external 16Mhz clock crystal.

A brand new Mega328 chip...

1: Program flash memory blank and no bootloader.

2: Set to use the internal 8Mhz RC oscillator clock.

3: Have the Div8 fuse set and will, therefore, only run at 1Mhz (1/8th of 8Mhz).

4: The maximum programming speed will be 250Khz (1/4 of 1Mhz).

5: At 1Mhz, the onboard UART communication speed settings will not work for an application expecting a 16Mhz CPU clock.

So on connecting an AVR chip to a programmer, the first thing to do is assume a 250kHz programming speed and then read the device signature and fuses. If you cannot get it to do this then something is wrong and you must fix that before attempting to program anything.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1