Polyend Poly 2 users?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

thiagozt
Wiggling with Experience

Polyend Poly 2 users?

Post by thiagozt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Hi,

Anyone here using a Poly 2? Looks very versatile to me but I am wondering how it is in day to day use.

thanks

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

it's not out yet... i've had my eye on it as well and i sent them a message over the weekend and they said it should be shipping next week

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

thiagozt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thiagozt » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:44 pm

oopsy, I swear I made a search about it before posting. I thought it was already out there. Wells, lets keep an eye out for it.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:17 pm

freqout wrote:it's not out yet... i've had my eye on it as well and i sent them a message over the weekend and they said it should be shipping next week
I talked with them 5 days ago and they said they had just started sending them but on the same day I've received a notification from Sweetwater telling it's in stock.

Apparently Vintage King has it too.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:18 pm

thiagozt wrote:
oopsy, I swear I made a search about it before posting. I thought it was already out there. Wells, lets keep an eye out for it.
No problem, man!

maxilla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maxilla » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:21 pm

Hello all, I'm new to the modular world and have a little starter rack that I'm trying to integrate with my existing rack gear, MIDI controllers, and Ableton.

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the Poly 2 vs. the FH-2 as the bridge to make these things happen. Besides the onboard arpeggiator for the FH-2, they seem to do similar things. The FH-2 seems deeper and more customizable where the Poly 2 simply has more outputs, plus the note filtering per key.

Without more info, deciding would be difficult. Currently, my setup doesn't have a single envelope generator or configurable LFO (I can technically send LFO out from my Sherman Filterbank), and I saw something about the FH-1 being able to send LFO's out on its own.

Anyway, excited to hear back, enjoy the wiggling,

Pete

grape tony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grape tony » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:04 am

I picked mine up yesterday. Very nice looking, feeling, and build quality.

I bought this for the channel mode, mostly to run 4 independent voices from computer or ipad. Plugged it in, turned it on, immediately showed up in my DAW and ipad, and immediately worked the way i imagined. I don't use MIDI/CV much at all, read no manual, and this was remarkably easy/up and running in minutes.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:15 am

grape tony wrote:I picked mine up yesterday. Very nice looking, feeling, and build quality.

I bought this for the channel mode, mostly to run 4 independent voices from computer or ipad. Plugged it in, turned it on, immediately showed up in my DAW and ipad, and immediately worked the way i imagined. I don't use MIDI/CV much at all, read no manual, and this was remarkable easy/up and running in minutes.
What are you using to send MIDI messages?

And is there some kind of settings interface you access through PC or something like that?

grape tony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grape tony » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 am

Using ableton to send midi on 4 channels. ipad the same. no need to set up any interfacing or system settings

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:18 pm

grape tony wrote:Using ableton to send midi on 4 channels. ipad the same. no need to set up any interfacing or system settings
Man, I read you saying DAW and iPad on the previous message and still ask what you are using :doh:

Placid Mouse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Placid Mouse » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm definitely getting one, I spoke to Polyend and you can use the ableton envelopes with them (not cv tools as it's not an audio io)

Couple more things here...

viewtopic.php?t=217199&highlight=

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Placid Mouse wrote:I'm definitely getting one, I spoke to Polyend and you can use the ableton envelopes with them (not cv tools as it's not an audio io)

I still need to see some review to decide between this and Expert Sleepers FH-2 with expanders.

maxilla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by maxilla » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:06 am

guigui wrote:
Placid Mouse wrote:I'm definitely getting one, I spoke to Polyend and you can use the ableton envelopes with them (not cv tools as it's not an audio io)

I still need to see some review to decide between this and Expert Sleepers FH-2 with expanders.
Guigui, that’s what I’m saying! As it turns out, all 12 of the Poly 2’s CV outputs are configurable to send multiple kinds of CV (pitch, gate, LFO, envelopes). The unique thing I see that the FH-2 has is the arpeggitor, which is detailed in this video:

While I’m mainly looking to have Ableton send signals to my rack with the module I choose here, I have to admit, this is a feature with some depth.

sillyhatsclub
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sillyhatsclub » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 am

i just picked one up yesterday. enjoying it a lot but wish i could figure out a way to get a stable sync out of ableton from it (though, i suspect thats more ableton's falt than the module)
Geo = Earth
Hell = Hell

sillyhatsclub
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sillyhatsclub » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 am

whoops, double post and i have no idea how to delete comments lol
Geo = Earth
Hell = Hell

thiagozt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thiagozt » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 pm

sillyhatsclub wrote:i just picked one up yesterday. enjoying it a lot but wish i could figure out a way to get a stable sync out of ableton from it (though, i suspect thats more ableton's falt than the module)
Hey, what do you mean? the clock from Ableton is not stable?
I was going to use it with Ableton.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:55 am

Among Poly2 users has someone had a slow response from the module when played on the keyboard?
In note mode the triggers seem fine but whenever I play poly mode (first or next), the second note cannot be fast-triggered, notes are missed.
I tried also with a sequence from the DAW and I don't have the same problem so I also assume it could come from the keyboard not releasing immediatly the note with note off or subtle overlaps in the release of the note and new press that prevent having a "blank"?? It's a Korg Micro Key.
Any idea?

sylvainstg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sylvainstg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 pm

@jee, have you updated to the latest firmware? I also had missed notes and other odd behaviours. The update fixed it.

Accent
Common Wiggler

Post by Accent » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:41 pm

I got one this week and really like it. I’m using it with the Squarp Pyramid, which is a great combo because Poly 2 powers the Pyramid from the Host port, and the USB midi output from the Pyramid can be used for the modular, freeing up the physical midi ports for other gear. Considerably better for me than my previous setup of Yarns and Mutant Brain, especially with the additional CV ports so I can send CC to CV from the Pyramid for automation.

grape tony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by grape tony » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Hey All,
I've been enjoying this module but blanking on how to do a few things since there isn't a ton of documentation.
I'd LOVE to map this to my Korg Nano Controller, but can't for the life of me understand how I would do so. Any ideas?!
:despair:

Jee
Common Wiggler

Re: Polyend Poly 2 users?

Post by Jee » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:57 pm

I updated to latest firmware but meanwhile I lost the MIDI adapter... I tried with the 0-coast one and also with the ones sold with Expressive E Touché but none worked.
I then tried to plug my little Akai LPK25 keyboard directly in the USB A plug: not working.
Tried USB B : Poly2 recognized in my DAW but nothing seems to reach the module and no CV/gate out.
So all my 3 inputs seems dead.
I wrote to Polyend who kindly responded me while in vacation but without proper solution except send back to my retailer (which is not possible any longer I bought it 2 months ago).
Sooo I'm a bit annoyed here...
Jacek from Polyend said I should buy a compatible MIDI adapter and specified the expected wiring on the adapter but I have no clue which one on the market responds to these requirements... :s
And all in all I'm surprised it doesn't work in USB.
Maybe my slow response issue has been solved by the latest firmware update but I can't try it :( :( :(
Did someone had the same issue?

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Re: Polyend Poly 2 users?

Post by morgulbee » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:04 am

Regarding MIDI adapters, check out https://minimidi.world/ which gives more detail than you'll ever need about TRS MIDI adapters, but more importantly, it says the Poly 2 uses a Type B adapter, and there are links at the bottom of the page where to buy them.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”