MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Some interesting new chips for DIYers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Some interesting new chips for DIYers
electricanada
What say you?

http://nomni.com/

I know nothing about it beyond what's on the webpage. The 5-limit chips looks especially interesting.
looks interesting, in particular the stanley, which seems like a lot of stuff in one package, although it looks like you still have to apply an external oscillator, which is often the hard part for modular. in particular, some of them require a x120 frequency so youre left with the tricky business of having an accurate tracking 2MHz oscillator.
EATyourGUITAR
8MHz max input clock will deliver a 66.6KHz sine wave at 1x Flamey
jorg
The top octave generator is interesting - great for string ensembles.
nvining
Are these "chips" in the same sense that the Electric Druid stuff is "chips" - PICs flashed with clever firmware? Or is he actually fabbing stuff?
it looks like its being fabbed. as all the chips do very similar functions (divide down counters, etc), im wondering if there are a whole bunch of functions available, and the fuses are set to create different chips from the same die. sort of FPGA, but specific to these particular audio needs. the thing that makes me think its not just an FPGA is the PPM sine generation at multiple frequencies.
megaohm
Very cool to see top octave chips!
JimY
After my own efforts, I found this amusing...
"...top octave and clock dividers without the complexity and jitter of a microcontroller solution"
But I still haven't finished building my own Stringer with an MCU TOG

Speaking of top octave generators, I'm burning to know what Behringer used in their VC-340. I've seen some gut shots and it looks like it has the x6 CD4520 dual 4 bit counters for the octave dividers that the Roland original did, but what did they use for a TOG?
fingerfarbensound
So they all are basically digital building blocks for generating waveforms from a clock. To be useful you'd have to have some sort of VCO that feeds them.

If they'd be able to output a buffered -10 to +10V they would be something to be considered. But as it stands meh.

Doing all that stuff on a fast microcontroller is not only possible but also more convenient.
And of course you can still use an external oscillator and an interrupt to archive the same behavior.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1