Do you stand?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Do you stand?

Post by beyourdog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:44 pm

thelowerrhythm wrote:I recently swapped out a bunch of dual row modular cases for one big tower of seven. It's too tall for sitting, but I'm digging it. My workflow has changed so much, in such a positive way, that I thought I'd ask around and see how many others work primarily standing up (and how that affects how you work).

Being unable to disconnect from linear order, my modules cascade downwards from sound generation up top to effects on the bottom. Thinking of the signal as succumbing to gravity on some level is exciting.
Do you bang your head, have a beard and wear flannel shirts or funky t-shirts? Heard it is good for the workflow too...

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Do you stand?

Post by thelowerrhythm » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:12 pm

beyourdog wrote:
thelowerrhythm wrote:I recently swapped out a bunch of dual row modular cases for one big tower of seven. It's too tall for sitting, but I'm digging it. My workflow has changed so much, in such a positive way, that I thought I'd ask around and see how many others work primarily standing up (and how that affects how you work).

Being unable to disconnect from linear order, my modules cascade downwards from sound generation up top to effects on the bottom. Thinking of the signal as succumbing to gravity on some level is exciting.
Do you bang your head, have a beard and wear flannel shirts or funky t-shirts? Heard it is good for the workflow too...
Well, my beard just kinda grew there all by itself, but I definitely don't bang my head. :lol:

batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batch » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am

My system is about 6ft wide and 7ft high so I have to stand to patch it. It’s in a built in book case and so you can get very close to it without the need to lean forward. This has helped reduce pain in my lower back a lot as before I was reaching forward a lot.

I generally sit down to listen to the patch/ rest my feet every now and again.
FS: Metropolis $475, Intellijel Dual ADSR $175 and lots more

what gives?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by what gives? » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:41 am

I'm a bit of an ergonomics nazi: Desks are elevated to suit standing up (desktop height should allow rest of your forearm, while maintaining a relaxed shoulder posture). Occasionally i use one of those tall chairs to match the desks height, so it's a sit-stand-combination type of situation.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:46 am

I sit a lot at work, so I like to stand while making music. If I bring my modular out to the balcony however, I sit and patch!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm currently in a (horrendously overextended) period of full-studio-in-storage mode, but I'm now seriously considering that when I eventually find a place to rebuild it, I'll raise everything from its previous sitting height arrangement to a standing one.

The reason in my case are the potential health benefits for somebody on the cusp of the 6th decade of life. With increasing time available for extended studio time and hence a generally more sedate lifestyle, I can't afford to be on my arse most of the time, even though I'm generally quite healthy for my age and not averse to getting around on a pushbike - on the derriere again! If I do need to occasionally sit for any reason I'll install an adjustable tall chair. I'm guessing standing could also help with general alertness as I work.

Zifor
Common Wiggler

Post by Zifor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I sit when i play , however i would like to stand whenever i get something decent to stand my system up! I think i am use to sitting from playing drums and piano. :hmm:
Maggots Gnawing Leppers Toes

catchin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by catchin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Um yes?

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:27 am

In retrospect, I wish I had asked in the context of studio vs performance, as I was only thinking about the former. The only audience I perform for is a trio of obese cats. :help:

I think I'd need to perform upright, even if the case was full of blank panels, just to put up a safe barrier between myself and anyone who might witness me screwing the pooch.

chiasticon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by chiasticon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:52 am

both. I have enough crap that it's at various levels. some of which I couldn't reach while sitting, and others I'd have to crouch/sit on my knees if I wasn't in a chair.

I like this. standing a good bit and getting up/down is much better for me than just sitting the whole time. I have a desk job and a half hour commute. I sit enough already.

thelowerrhythm
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:17 pm

chiasticon wrote:both. I have enough crap that it's at various levels. some of which I couldn't reach while sitting, and others I'd have to crouch/sit on my knees if I wasn't in a chair.

I like this. standing a good bit and getting up/down is much better for me than just sitting the whole time. I have a desk job and a half hour commute. I sit enough already.
I work on my feet, so when I get home, if I don't stand to wiggle, I'd run the risk of sitting somewhere else first and not have the energy nor will to stand back up. :lol:

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 pm

authorless wrote:I sit on the floor.
Steve Roach used to do that.
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 01235813 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:08 am

I play an easel and I'm still figuring out a comfortable way of playing.

I prefer standing but if I'm playing for hours at a time I need to find a comfortable way to play sitting. As of now that hasn't been working out too well, my desk is a little to high up. I find myself totally hunched over the easel in a manner that cannot be healthy.

I just put out an order for a stand.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:10 am

My workflow is set up 'cockpit' style: in front of me is my desk (Middle Atlantic with meter bridge), JV-1080, interface, and large monitors; to my right is my modular and guitar pedal board as well as a pair of small monitors; behind me is an x-stand with a 10 channel mixer, MC-500 and TX7 or some other small poly synth.

I am seated for most studio work; my chair is a Secret Lab Omega.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:32 pm

^ I am cockpit style too. Mine os fairly large so I mostly stand to get around. That is primarily predicated on me recording 'live' in the studio. No overdubs. Multiple parts done live, so I am bouncing around. I do have nice Yamaha X style seats (cheap and last many years - thick padding) for when I mix or can sit. I sit commuting and working most of the day, so standing is nice anyway. I also sit on the floor for certain parts when I bring additional keyboards or percussion into the cockpit.

But mostly stand on a nice thick rug over padded carpet in the cockpit.

FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:33 am

[video][/video]

Pelsea
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Alas, standing for long periods is not an option. I perform standing though. I have some high end chairs for my various workstations.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Perfection is the enemy of the good.
pqe

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:04 pm

I designed things so the upper and lower reaches were accessible while sitting, and I roll around back and forth as needed. Standing tends to make me impatient for results.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”