MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Erica Synths Pico System III
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Erica Synths Pico System III
red
Erica Synths Pico System III

via gearnews.com

EUR 450 !

in Eurorack format for EUR 400

cool
nolongerhuman
That is strangely intriguing. I don't even know why but I want it... if only to support the concept. If Noise Engineering would design something similar to this it would be my favorite thing ever made. I like the idea of small self contained "somewhat modular" systems by manufacturers. Pittsburgh has the Microvolt and now the VRL, Make Noise has the 0 coast, now this.
jjsynth
Looks great, I'm still sceptical about the price though. 450 eur sounds too cheap compared to what a Pico System II costs.
nostalghia
Pico System III section starts at 5:30.
For me, the patch programming card feature is the most interesting aspect. Factory "style" cards like" LPG Techno", plus a user programmable card (6:50 in the video). Similar concept to the Buchla Easel program cards?

batch
This is cool. You have to tip your hat to Erica Synths for the innovation.
mdoudoroff
nostalghia wrote:
Pico System III section starts at 5:30.
For me, the patch programming card feature is the most interesting aspect. Factory "style" cards like" LPG Techno", plus a user programmable card (6:50 in the video). Similar concept to the Buchla Easel program cards?

Seems very similar, indeed—and oddly unmentioned. Were those Easel cards ever very successful at their original purpose? Seems to me Easel’s card socket has proven far more useful as a host to additional electronics.
Hovercraft
Love the concept and the cards. Especially nice for people starting out with modular. I know a number of people starting with the Volca modular, but I think this is a better way to start.

tomatoes
For me the lack of drums, a better, longer sequencer (like the old-seq and trigg pair from its younger siblings), and that great little digital effects unit ruined everything the old system had going. I get they needed to cut down a lot to get the price this low, but it seems they've turned a funky little weird experimental techno system into just another bland semi-modular voice.

Anyways that's just an opinion. Maybe if looked at it on its own merits it might fair better, so don't let me sour it for anyone.
Hovercraft
tomatoes wrote:
For me the lack of drums, a better, longer sequencer (like the old-seq and trigg pair from its younger siblings), and that great little digital effects unit ruined everything the old system had going. I get they needed to cut down a lot to get the price this low, but it seems they've turned a funky little weird experimental techno system into just another bland semi-modular voice.

Anyways that's just an opinion. Maybe if looked at it on its own merits it might fair better, so don't let me sour it for anyone.

The system is fully modular, not semi-modular. Sequencer is short, but you also have sample and hold--so lots of possibilities with mixing. Berlin school artists did amazing work with short sequences. If you watch the video above, Girts specifically mentions wanting people to create their own drum sounds. Don't understand the bland comment--because of the lack of macro oscillators? The system is meant for building patches from core functions--like Buchla or Serge. I see lots of goodies--voltage controlled envelopes, LPGs, random pulse, noise, lots of mixing. Plus he's even going to throw in stacking cables. BBD delay--yes, but I can tell you from my experience with the Lyra 8, how a funky little synth with a BBD can be amazing. For the price of a single fancy module you're getting a hell of a lot here. My 2 centavos.
tomatoes
Hovercraft wrote:

The system is fully modular, not semi-modular.

Sorry, I meant more semi-modular in the sense of it acting as a standalone voice first, little modular second. For me it's really more of a difference in philosophy, but I can see where you're coming from.

Hovercraft wrote:

Sequencer is short, but you also have sample and hold--so lots of possibilities with mixing. Berlin school artists did amazing work with short sequences. If you watch the video above, Girts specifically mentions wanting people to create their own drum sounds.

I don't deny you can do incredible things with incredibly limited tools (hell, we're all hanging around here as opposed to on some daw forum), but that doesn't remove those limits. It's not that I loved sampled drums or anything, but giving away a little freedom let the system ii compact things enough to have really everything you need right there. From what I can tell of the system 3 you just have fundamentally less room to experiment in making music and grooves, even if the sonic space is a bit wider.

Also a note on the change from the DSP to the (great sounding) bbd. It might be a better effect, but it definitely doesn't give you nearly as much ability to actually sculpt a groove as the four delays, two reverbs, and two others on the DSP.

I think this just boils down to a difference in how you would use a system like the pico 2. I suppose for people who saw it as just a funky voice with a few extras this is a great next step. I saw it as something more. It really was this close to the dream minimal hardware techno jam-box, just add in a second sequencer and some way to sequence structure (like a sequential switch), and it would have been perfect. Oh well, I guess the beauty of modular is there's nothing stopping me from putting it together myself smile
Hovercraft
Yeah, probably not the best techno/groove box, but I see a lot of possibilities. I’ve got the Pico DSP-which is great. I think part of the appeal for me is not seeing things I already have recycled into a different product. But you’re right, a dsp with a few more options would’ve been welcome. I had the Pico sequencer, and never got along with it-probably too much in 3hp. This looks more playable at least. Sorta wish it had a quantizer, but hard to complain much at that price. It does look like 1964 Bell Telephone testing equipment, though.
Henfield
I played with it a little bit at Knobcon. It is a great sounding little box, and the program cards will help a lot in live performance!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1