IKEA Jerker desk sliding keyboard stand conversion

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

IKEA Jerker desk sliding keyboard stand conversion

Post by zedius » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm moving soon and am going to have less space to sprawl out my keyboards so I modified an old IKEA desk to stack 4 keyboards on slidable shelves. I didn't worry too much about looks on this one but it works well, isn't too heavy, and can easily be moved to the new house :)

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Nice, how far out do the shelves come out?
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:51 pm

The shelves are 16" deep and they extend their full length!

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:01 pm

:rast: :75: :cat:
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 am

But why is the top-shelf also made to slide out? :eek:

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm

Grumble wrote:But why is the top-shelf also made to slide out? :eek:
It probably doesn't need to but I had the slides and thought if I want to have a couple slide out at the same time it might still be handy to be able to pull the top synth closer.

The feet stick out as far as the shelves so I think I can have multiple shelves out without it tipping, and slide others back if they're in the way.

If I play with it for a while I'm sure I'll find things I'd change for version 2.

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Very cool mod. If these desks were still available, I'd be looking at this pretty closely. I'm also moving house soon and will have a smaller studio space, at least temporarily. I'd love to find a similar sliding shelf solution.

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Jerkers come up used pretty frequently. I paid about $50 for this. All in after hardware and wood I probably spent $250 on this stand and much more time than my wife wanted me to :)

I'm gonna try to assemble a BOM and some basic details around the plans at some point, but basically I used 8x 16" drawer slides from Princess auto, got 2 16" deep 8ft shelves, cut them down to 2 16" X 45.5" shelves each.

Each junction is a 16" 1x6 with a slide positioned about an inch from the bottom, then on the other side of that slid is a 16" 2x2.

I bought thread inserts to fasten the bolts to for holding the junction to the metal Jerker bar and for holding the shelf to the 2x2.

Sliders:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8587743e

Thread inserts:

For the thread inserts, I used a bolt with two nuts backed onto each other to help position them, used wood glue to help hold them in place, and I would strongly advise using a template for your drill holes to ensure all 4 bolts fit smoothly. Getting the bolt holes correct for attaching to the Jerker frame was by far the hardest part and was aided greatly once I realized I could use the mount from one of the swing shelves from my desk as a template for the bolt holes.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”