MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I need a pretty simple PCB made, anyone for hire?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author I need a pretty simple PCB made, anyone for hire?
ambrohski
I'm looking for someone to hire for laying out a PCB. If you can have a few manufactured, even better. It consists of a couple basic circuits, the first being a V/O routing segment- 5 channels buffered mult, that feed 6 outputs selectable with rotary switches. This is based on the 1 to 3 segment of Mutable's Links, but each channel expanded to 6 outputs instead of 3. The other segment consists of a trigger routing section with rotary switches to route 1 of 12 inputs to a bunch of outputs. One of the MFOS LED driver circuits (or similar) would be on the inputs. There is a little more to it than that, mainly a couple breakout modules that would have the trigger signals sent on ribbon cables under the panels...

Please let me know if you've got the skills, and the time, I don't want to wire this one by hand! Smash!
djs
Do you have a preliminary schematic, or just "get the circuits for these and piece them together"?
whoop_john
I can do this and organise PCBs, but to avoid too much to-ing and fro-ing you should cut and paste the schematics you desire into some coherent form. A BOM would be an added bonus but not really necessary. If you have preferred switches, sockets etc. the spec. sheet should be supplied for these.
cackland
Agreed, a collective schematic would be very helpful along with specific component information. Do you have a timeframe and estimated budget?
Jaytee
Before you pay someone to do this, realize you can probably teach yourself how to lay out a PCB and have it manufactured over the course of a weekend.
TheMentat
Jaytee wrote:
Before you pay someone to do this, realize you can probably teach yourself how to lay out a PCB and have it manufactured over the course of a weekend.

... and then learn to troubleshoot, revise and re-order. A whole lesson in the product development lifecycle! hihi
TheMentat
I kid of course... I’d say go for it. Playing with KiCAD is actually pretty rewarding.
ambrohski
Thanks all for the replies. I'll address them in order they arrived-

djs- Here is the schematic for the MI Links, but the buffered mult piece of it needs to be expanded. It is 1 to 3, I would need 5 ins, each buffered to 6 outs.

A rotary switch then choosing which of the buffered signals go to each of the respective outputs. The rotary switches are Alpha SR2612F-0112-18R0B-D8-N-

This BMC circuit seems great for the buffered mult need, as it can be 2 to 6, as the circuit is exists now. It is missing missing the bi-polar LED the MI circuit has though, which is needed. BMC037. Euro Buffer.

The other circuit is simply passive trigger routing, but adding a circuit at the 12 input jacks to show what is going on. Maybe a circuit like one of these MFOS-

whoop_john- please see above, the functional routing I can lay out in more detail, when needed. I'm looking to put this mess under a 108HP x 2U panel, with some other stuff. Here is a preliminary mock-up. The QPLFO and Microbe MAY go under the panel too, not finished deciding on that yet, but the PCB would be in the center section. The On/Off/MOM switches on the trigger circuits, and On/Off for those trigger stretching across the bottom right. I can gather spec sheets...

cackland- time frame is flexible. The box I had made by Thoman for this project has yet to ship. Once I have it, more accurate dimension will be available- I fudged a little more room than 2U for this, but will need to see exactly how much upon it's arrival... Not knowing how much time would be needed to do the work, I don't know what the fair cost would be. My time is valuable to me, thus I'm willing to pay for someone else's time to do this work. If with the detail I'm providing makes this seem worth while to tackle, we can discuss compensation.

Jaytee & TheMentat- with 2 small kiddos, and other shit going on, I don't have the bandwidth to spend on learning how to do it myself, as much as I'd like to. Dead Banana
J3RK
Quick note. If you're routing V/Oct control signals, you may want to move those output resistors inside the feedback path of the op amps. It looks like that circuit uses really low values (51R? hard to tell) so maybe not a huge deal, but it might be a touch more accurate with them on the inside. Only one is needed this way too, and just go straight to the jacks.
forestcaver
J3RK wrote:
Quick note. If you're routing V/Oct control signals, you may want to move those output resistors inside the feedback path of the op amps. It looks like that circuit uses really low values (51R? hard to tell) so maybe not a huge deal, but it might be a touch more accurate with them on the inside. Only one is needed this way too, and just go straight to the jacks.

They’re opa4171 opamps. You need the resistor to prevent oscillation with capacitive load.... (this circuit is identical to the datasheet where it is discussed in detail)
whoop_john
I am in Spain right now. Home late Saturday. Will take a look at your docs on my return, unless someone else picks up the gauntlet.
ambrohski
Thanks Much whoop_john. I am speaking with EATyourGUITAR off Muffs, and if we can't figure out something mutually beneficial, I'll reach out to you.
EATyourGUITAR
we are leaning towards abandoning the rotary switches in favor of illuminated momentary buttons. trying to avoid a microcontroller so we will probably just use CMOS CD4000 for everything. it is in the early stages of discussion. nothing is decided yet. this will make it low power, asynchronous instant response, no USB programmer no coding required. after I get approval, if I get the job, I will probably post something interesting to look at. I would be fine with open source but I might not have ownership of this design after it is all said and done.
cackland
EATyourGUITAR wrote:
we are leaning towards abandoning the rotary switches in favor of illuminated momentary buttons. trying to avoid a microcontroller so we will probably just use CMOS CD4000 for everything. it is in the early stages of discussion. nothing is decided yet. this will make it low power, asynchronous instant response, no USB programmer no coding required. after I get approval, if I get the job, I will probably post something interesting to look at. I would be fine with open source but I might not have ownership of this design after it is all said and done.

Curious to see what you come up with, if you are permitted to share smile
J3RK
forestcaver wrote:
J3RK wrote:

They’re opa4171 opamps. You need the resistor to prevent oscillation with capacitive load.... (this circuit is identical to the datasheet where it is discussed in detail)

Two of the three circuits list TL072. I didn't notice the OPAs on the first circuit. I also wasn't thinking about capacitive loads for this application, (I guess beyond the cables) but yeah, I just checked out the datasheet, and saw what you're talking about. w00t

Also, a few interesting threads on this. (posts by Neil Johnson, Dave Jones
and Graham Hinton specifically) You can still drive capacitive loads with the resistor internal to the loop. Not sure if there's any implications with this particular op amp though.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157779&highlight=
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1129644&highlight=#1 129644
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=81108&highlight=
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1