MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

mini Peaks w/ DMC
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author mini Peaks w/ DMC
rayultine
Hi all,
From the Dead Man's Catch github:
"Warning! It has come to my attention that hardware version 3 or later of the Peaks module uses firmware calibration of the null point output voltage, rather than two physical trimpots as used in earlier versions. None of the firmware code required to support firmware calibration has been incorporated into the current version Dead Man's Catch. Therefore installation of Dead Man's Catch on versions of the Peaks module which lack a trimpot (on the back of the PCB) is NOT recommended. If you have installed DMC v0.7 or earlier on a version 3 Peaks (without trimpots), you may wish to re-install the factory Peaks firmware."

Does one have to worry about this with the 4hp mini-Peaks (Pique) ?
Thanks!
Zymos
I'd heard someone wrote an alternative fw that fixes this.

It's really only an issue if you are using Peaks as an ADSR into a VCA - it might not close all the way. I don't know if any of the other apps are affected in any way you'd notice.
forestcaver
Yes - done. I’ve also added a lorenz attractor (adapted from streams easter egg) and will get around to adding more chaotic equations soon! Basically it adds nlc’s sloth functionality. The chaotic stuff isnt stable, the calibration stuff is stable. (Boom boom! No pun intended....)
rayultine
forestcaver!!!
Do you have a dedicated thread for updates on such lovely features?
forestcaver
rayultine wrote:
forestcaver!!!
Do you have a dedicated thread for updates on such lovely features?

Umm - no. I need to upload my changes back to github at some point though.
forestcaver
This is the sloth-like strange attractor....

[/img]
EPTC
forestcaver, is this an enhancement (extras added) of Tim Churches' DMC? If so, awesome awesome!

If not, awesome too! Just curious.

We're talking Peaks FW that could add sloths? That'd be wonderful.
forestcaver
EPTC wrote:
forestcaver, is this an enhancement (extras added) of Tim Churches' DMC? If so, awesome awesome!

If not, awesome too! Just curious.

We're talking Peaks FW that could add sloths? That'd be wonderful.

Yes - it is an enhancement to DMC (as is the calibration code)
Yes - Peaks doing sloths essentially - an extra mode in the lfo section of DMC (there was one slot free ! So all the led mode indicators are flashing apart from the solid lfo led indicator !). It’s essentially just adding the easter egg from streams, but I want to add more strange attractors, selectable from the knobs. I also added more controls to the attractors. Adding more attractors (chaotic time series) will be easy (Halvorsen and Rossler are the obvious ones to add immediately). The idea is that you would select them in the same way you select LFO shape.
EPTC
forestcaver wrote:
Yes - Peaks doing sloths essentially - an extra mode in the lfo section of DMC (there was one slot free ! So all the led mode indicators are flashing apart from the solid lfo led indicator !). It’s essentially just adding the easter egg from streams, but I want to add more strange attractors, selectable from the knobs. I also added more controls to the attractors. Adding more attractors (chaotic time series) will be easy (Halvorsen and Rossler are the obvious ones to add immediately). The idea is that you would select them in the same way you select LFO shape.

Man consider me a happy beta tester if you make that available. Tremendous!
forestcaver
EPTC wrote:
forestcaver wrote:

Man consider me a happy beta tester if you make that available. Tremendous!

Do you have a programmer (and know how to use it) ? (I’d be comfortable letting you have the hex to play with. I’d be uncomfortable with the wav as there is the (admittedly small) possibility of bricking the module - the same with any firmware. A programmer makes it pretty easy to recover it and program it quickly.
EPTC
Thanks for the suggestion! - Regret I don't have a programmer, or know how to use - I'm an end user with the alternate peaks firmware. I'm comfortable with coding though, what's the programmer based on? Is this? https://medium.com/music-thing-modular-notes/how-to-get-started-writin g-your-own-firmware-for-mutable-instruments-clouds-a08173cec317

I'll gladly wait for a public file and hear you about risk, thanks for the work on this!
JakoGreyshire
Forestcaver you are awesome! I have a few piques to build soon and this is great news indeed...
Maybe someday you could look into the parasites for plancksII troubles?

J.
forestcaver
EPTC wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion! - Regret I don't have a programmer, or know how to use - I'm an end user with the alternate peaks firmware. I'm comfortable with coding though, what's the programmer based on? Is this? https://medium.com/music-thing-modular-notes/how-to-get-started-writin g-your-own-firmware-for-mutable-instruments-clouds-a08173cec317

I'll gladly wait for a public file and hear you about risk, thanks for the work on this!

The programmer I use most often is the bog-standard stlinkv2. There are cheaper ways to do it and hackier ways. But that is probably the simplest way to start.
forestcaver
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Forestcaver you are awesome! I have a few piques to build soon and this is great news indeed...

J.

Dont know what that problem is with plancks II and parasites ????

(I know parasites doesnt compile currently for frames straight from the github - it needs a few code changes that are pretty simple though - iirc stmlib has diverged.... but easy to add the bits back).
JakoGreyshire
I'm ordering up all the parts I need to finish my piques soon... I use an ST Link v2 as well, So In a while I could try some DMC on them...

forestcaver wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:

J.

Dont know what that problem is with plancks II and parasites ????

(I know parasites doesnt compile currently for frames straight from the github - it needs a few code changes that are pretty simple though - iirc stmlib has diverged.... but easy to add the bits back).

Off Topic: the PlancksII issue was touched on lightly at the unsuccessful thread...:

Altitude909 wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Even then the compiled frames parasites still doesn't load into plancks II? See when I tried to upload the parasies for frames into plancks, it would load untill half way through the wav file... so, it was loading... whereas the twists just wasn't getting any signal whatsoever...

Anyway... I'll see what I can do...

Thanks..

It doesnt work, I dont think it worked on plancks 1 either. There is something about the hardware that's preventing the audio bootloader from working but it was never a priority when we were designing it to have it working so it never really got looked into. The weird part about that is planks 1 was a 1:1 clone of Frames parts wise and II there were some small changes made here and there but both devices suffered from the same issue

seeing as Altitude909 thought it was a hardware problem but couldn't get it to work on plancksI which was a part for part clone, I thought it might be a software issue...

Maybe someday It'll get sorted... It would then be another alt firmware to remember "what the heck is going on under the hood module?"

If it is a firmware issue I figured that you would be the one to be able to make it work forestcaver.

EDIT: so maybe it will work with the " it needs a few code changes that are pretty simple though - iirc stmlib has diverged.... but easy to add the bits back)." thing you said??
forestcaver
JakoGreyshire wrote:
I'm ordering up all the parts I need to finish my piques soon... I use an ST Link v2 as well, So In a while I could try some DMC on them...

Just added the rossler and halversen attractors....
Yeah - when it’s ready, I’m happy if you want to play with it - it needs some work on controllability and getting the different spot/dual modes working nicely.

Quote:

EDIT: so maybe it will work with the " it needs a few code changes that are pretty simple though - iirc stmlib has diverged.... but easy to add the bits back)." thing you said??

I’ve got a parasites frames I built with the changes - you can try it if you want.... (when you have an stilnk :-) I dont want the responsibility of anyone bricking a module !)
forestcaver
Split mode and dual/expert mode working. Rossler working and lorenz and rossler selectable on the knobs:

Timmy
@forestcaver, send me a PR or your GH name and we can merge all the code and/or update the docs.

A second-order harmonograph (a pendulum on a pendulum) would be cool. That requires computing floating point trig functions, but I think there may be optimised STM library functions for these? (Googles) Hmm, maybe not.
forestcaver
Timmy wrote:
@forestcaver, send me a PR or your GH name and we can merge all the code and/or update the docs.

A second-order harmonograph (a pendulum on a pendulum) would be cool. That requires computing floating point trig functions, but I think there may be optimised STM library functions for these? (Googles) Hmm, maybe not.

Will do... (but it’s “forestcaver” on gh as well)

I’ll add a double pendulum - needs some thought though about damping/striking. I’m piggy backing on the lfo code in DMC so will add a few extra chaotic functions....
TINRS Wobbler does a double pendulum on a cortex m0+ (nxp freescale)...
(I’m also messing about with the wobbler - to add chotic stuff as well - and tuesday code)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1