MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Going Ahead with Sequarallel MIDI CV Sequencer!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Going Ahead with Sequarallel MIDI CV Sequencer!
Sandrine
Hi! This is Sandy from SDS Digital with a brand new module called Sequarallel. It is to be part of the Accord series the upcoming Melisma module inspired.

I have decided to go ahead and produce the Sequarallel smile (and to stop hi-jacking the Melisma thread~)
It started out as a MIDI to CV solution for the Melisma, but has turned into a 16 channel MIDI recorder/sequencer that I have been testing for the last month and it keeps getting better!

It's not complicated to use and has the Melisma's great display UI which is incredibly fast to use thanks to "quick boxes" that are one click state/parameter changers.

Here's the main points of the module


(edited Sept 19, real module prototype)

Other stuff it can do:

Record Live MIDI from a keyboard or controller, whatever, and loop it after a set amount of time (bars) immediately. Anything with MIDI output.
Option to just play with it or save it to one of 100 Sequence Slots.

Record MIDI Layers to a running sequence with option to save

All Settings saved with Sequence, global settings saved by user

Up to 8 Loop/Jump markers can be added per sequence/song/composition. All settings are saved with the sequence and can be edited and saved.

Automation Recorder up to 64 bars that records all of the panel changes then plays them in sync but independent of position in sequence (unless Jump or Loop is played with) Transpose, Switching Channel modes and chord order etc.

Responds to MIDI Play/Stop messages to record complex DAW sequences plus a special note to set Loop and Jump Markers (controllable from Clock out jack when is switched to be analog input, or CC5 or CC6 jacks)

Dedicated MIDI I/O back panel link bus for other MIDI I/O modules that have MIDI behind the panel (+SDS Reflex LiveLoop, Melisma of course!)
Fully isolated MIDI In also responds to T-S plug trigger input to Play/Stop/Reset sequence

Clock OUt, when module is being clocked via clock in, can be a CV JumpTo controller or a transposer at 1Voct (+ 0 to 48 notes)...hence the added arrow

Totally sync'ed with modular clock which produces MIDI clock for keeping synth delays and arp's in sync.

4 Channel modes (organizations to jack rows) each have settable MIDI channels, so they can bring any part of a recorded (or live) MIDI sequence to the panel Gate/Velocity/CC/CV outputs

3 Chord order Types for groups of jacks called Cycle, Range, and Time

Select Bus Slave (the PSU bus) for switching Sequences

Master CV +/- 100 cent tuning box with individual CV tuning behind it for quick VCO tuning. This is a real plus.


I figure it'll be well under the $250 mark but will do the introductory thing for starters. Slated for this fall sometime.

Hope y'all like it it!
sutekina bipu-on
Yessssss, so excited for this, I will be ordering as soon as possible
Paranormal Patroler
w00t w00t w00t
tiger001
what about sync/collab/tandem with RiTM?
why VEL out if there are so many (more) MIDI parameters that are (more) interesting ? (poly - AT for one)
like your other modules range -5V -> +5 V ?

tuning in steps/intervals ? (like receive C-> output B)

any way to store sequences or to load/save (pre) recorded MIDI sequences ?
e.g. i have a MIDI sequencer that can output MIDI files type 0 or type 1, can i load/get these onto onboard storage?

this would pair excellent with ZAQUENCER
Sandrine
tiger001 wrote:
what about sync/collab/tandem with RiTM?

That would require a specific header as the RIT_M's link is in a proprietary format (not MIDI). I use the Sequarallel with the RIT_M with standard patching, mostly clock related. It's an interesting proposal worth having a look at though. What did you have in mind?

Quote:

why VEL out if there are so many (more) MIDI parameters that are (more) interesting ? (poly - AT for one)

I am familiar with MPE and by all means this would work great with Channel Mode 1+1+1+1. Sequarallel can easily be responsive to the MPE poly message to switch in a selected function (I'm thinking pitch bend, but the others can be an option to bring to the velocity jacks) to the Velocity outputs. Never thought of it thanks for the suggestion!! It's in.
Not familiar with AT though...

Quote:

like your other modules range -5V -> +5 V ?

I had 0-10V but removed it. -5 to 0V might not be as popular but at this stage it can be added as an option no problem. I used the module with the Reflex LiveLoop's RATE input and did consider it. So consider this a yes.

Quote:

tuning in steps/intervals ? (like receive C-> output B)

There is per CV & Master (quick box) fine tuning +/- 100 cents and in that same menu a Zero Volt Note offset. i.e. my SDS_VCO's are all set to "A" at zero volts, so the Sequarallels ZVnote is set to -33. (36-3) for those.

Quote:

any way to store sequences or to load/save (pre) recorded MIDI sequences ?
e.g. i have a MIDI sequencer that can output MIDI files type 0 or type 1, can i load/get these onto onboard storage?

Yes, recorded sequences are stored in memory permanently, up to 100.
Parameters for the sequence(i.e. Loop/jump Markers, Channel Mode and channels, chord order type, clockDiv, original BPM, 14 character name) can be edited and saved with the sequence.
Type 0 or 1 are only differentiated by the channel handling, so that would be up to the sequencer you're recording from. Like a "raw" MIDI would fall to channel 1 because all of the data is sent as channel 1

Quote:

this would pair excellent with ZAQUENCER

That FW looks somewhat like a Beatstep pro, and yes I think it would


Thanks for posting these really useful ideas we're not worthy
tiger001
Sandrine wrote:
tiger001 wrote:
what about sync/collab/tandem with RiTM?

That would require a specific header as the RIT_M's link is in a proprietary format (not MIDI). I use the Sequarallel with the RIT_M with standard patching, mostly clock related. It's an interesting proposal worth having a look at though. What did you have in mind?


storing of sequences you'd play on the RIT_M ?
using the RIT_M as a sequence/loop selection tool?
using the RIT_M as a start/stop trigger?
Sandrine wrote:


I am familiar with MPE and by all means this would work great with Channel Mode 1+1+1+1. Sequarallel can easily be responsive to the MPE poly message to switch in a selected function (I'm thinking pitch bend, but the others can be an option to bring to the velocity jacks) to the Velocity outputs. Never thought of it thanks for the suggestion!! It's in.
Not familiar with AT though...


i was not specifically referring to MPE, any MIDI control/breath/aftertouch/poly-aftertouch (each AKAI MPC can send poly at from it's pads) etc hold a lot of possibilities , whereas MIDI vel is just one value at the start of a note...

Sandrine wrote:
tiger001 wrote:

like your other modules range -5V -> +5 V ?

I had 0-10V but removed it. -5 to 0V might not be as popular but at this stage it can be added as an option no problem. I used the module with the Reflex LiveLoop's RATE input and did consider it. So consider this a yes.


-5 ->0 might not be as popular but i think -5 -> +5 is more & more (all Rossums modules, Vermona, Flame, Percussa, ...)


Sandrine wrote:
tiger001 wrote:

any way to store sequences or to load/save (pre) recorded MIDI sequences ?
e.g. i have a MIDI sequencer that can output MIDI files type 0 or type 1, can i load/get these onto onboard storage?

Yes, recorded sequences are stored in memory permanently, up to 100.
Parameters for the sequence(i.e. Loop/jump Markers, Channel Mode and channels, chord order type, clockDiv, original BPM, 14 character name) can be edited and saved with the sequence.
Type 0 or 1 are only differentiated by the channel handling, so that would be up to the sequencer you're recording from. Like a "raw" MIDI would fall to channel 1 because all of the data is sent as channel 1


i was fishing @ a way/possibility to access the onboard memory other than through the MIDI input
(more modules you can insert an SD card that you can easily remove ) if i'd recorded/have a lot of MIDI sequences on sort of storage, how to get them easy/fast onto the SEQUARALLEL - other than just recording it
-maybe a loaded memory with useful preset sequences when shipped would be an extra/added sales argument/value?-

Sandrine wrote:
tiger001 wrote:

this would pair excellent with ZAQUENCER

That FW looks somewhat like a Beatstep pro, and yes I think it would


Thanks for posting these really useful ideas we're not worthy


thanks for you fiery, swift reply
btw, SEQUARALLEL sounds like a post-modern aquarel painter/painting
Sandrine
SD Card was going to be added but that would bring the module up to 10HP and bring deeper SD Card related menus and such into play, so it was dumped early in dev.
Recording the MIDI in is straight forward and duplicates exactly what is auditioned (it needs to be played anyway during composition, or I would hope so hihi ) so the final play would be into the Sequarallel

I have changed the panel a bit though as per your suggestions/ideas and am updating the "real" prototype (used in the videos) right now!

Notice the M in & Mout dedicated jacks and the CC's flow through to 6.
Everything else is the same.

Quote:

i was not specifically referring to MPE, any MIDI control/breath/aftertouch/poly-aftertouch (each AKAI MPC can send poly at from it's pads) etc hold a lot of possibilities , whereas MIDI vel is just one value at the start of a note...


Indeed I will include those into the CC# list (i.e. 0-127, then MPE stuff, and those) good idea!
tiger001
ok, no problemo

with what resolution is recorded?
if i play 192 ticks pqn, would that be recorded?
Sandrine
tiger001 wrote:
ok, no problemo

with what resolution is recorded?
if i play 192 ticks pqn, would that be recorded?

Yes, but:
Bar quantization (used for Jumps/Loops if there's no Loop markers in the sequence) would be halved as the ranges are 24/96 @60 to 240 BPM.
The resolution is the PPQN. I could probably add another parameter for the upper range of ppqn's too wink

Quote:

..-maybe a loaded memory with useful preset sequences when shipped would be an extra/added sales argument/value?-


I do plan on adding some starter sequences for sure. I have one fun sequence I like to use called "popcorn" (yep that song!) I DL'ed somewhere years ago. It's fun to transpose it around by CV.
tiger001
or you could name cc(1)/Vel - > Val ?

bar Q for jumps / loops is super interesting, always.

48 ppqn was the reso for EMU SP12/1200 hiphop flagship
96 ppqn for the original AKAI MPC 60

nowadays a decent MIDI seq can output 192 ppqn which adds a whole level of live/human feel (contrary to all those comp-temporary (16) step sequencers the stores are flooded with)

3 (??) MIDI cc to CV outputs ?

clock out could be trig out for EOS/EOL ? (end of sequence, end of loop)
diffrentstrolks
Very excited for this, Sandy

My "select bus alert" went off; happy to see that protocol made it in! applause
sutekina bipu-on
I personally would heavily appreciate a selectable ppqn parameter. Some mpc's had this as a feature and it was a wonderful addition to change the feel of a sequence on the fly.

I'm starting to realize this could replace any other midi sequencer I have and that is giving me a few other thoughts. Please forgive me if i missed some details that were in the videos or elsewhere.

-can you use a trigger sequencer into the clock in? this is one of my bigger concerns, some gear happily take trigger sequencers to create a start/stop rhythm but some don't like when you output a trigger sequencer to its clock input. if this could be converted to midi & sent thru the midi out i'd be ecstatic.
-that also reminded me that my drum machine has a eurorack clock out. i often plug it into a clock divider as it's too fast by itself. can the clock input divide the signal coming in if necessary?
-would there be headers on the module to allow for use of a midi breakout module? (making a 5 pin din MIDI connection). if i decide to use this as a master sequencer i would become worried about clutter of 5 pin midi cable adapters coming off the front panel.
- I noticed the auto-rec mode. It looks like what i'm looking for, however is this only for panel based changes? Can you record in loop mode like with the RIT_M, it seems like you can use it like an old school midi sequencer where you play in real time over a loop?
-you can dump the stores sequences as sysex or something?
-is it capable of concurrently looping midi tracks of different lengths? (if i have a 4 bar drum loop and a 8 bar rhythm and a 32 bar melody for example all looping) - or is it not an issue because the sequarallel sees everything as 2 bars?
-is there a "performance mode" where you have a list of all your sequences / songs and can select the next one to play after the current one is finished?
-lastly - this might be a lot (too much?) to ask but what if one of cc5/cc6 could be switchable to cv input in software? my idea is using a separate cv sequencer i have to modulate the sequarallel while it's playing. I have a setup where one step sequencer on a very slow clock playing a note into another step sequencer which has a cv/transpose in connector. Then you could pick which track 1-4 you want to be affected by the transpose CV input. i think would be great for playing improv too...
my idea is really just stolen from here https://youtu.be/_lnve907PVs?t=88
Sandrine
tiger001 wrote:
or you could name cc(1)/Vel - > Val ?

I figure for the most part those CC 1-4 will be either control CC's or MPE (CC(AT)/note or pitch bend) or velocity. "Data" would also work but CC continues to 5 & 6 so looks nice ...

Quote:

bar Q for jumps / loops is super interesting, always.

48 ppqn was the reso for EMU SP12/1200 hiphop flagship
96 ppqn for the original AKAI MPC 60

nowadays a decent MIDI seq can output 192 ppqn which adds a whole level of live/human feel (contrary to all those comp-temporary (16) step sequencers the stores are flooded with)

I have used 96 and yes there is a finer feel to it, especially when recording from piano etc.
Quote:

3 (??) MIDI cc to CV outputs ?

clock out could be trig out for EOS/EOL ? (end of sequence, end of loop)

Good idea. It can be either transpose input, Jump control, or channel mode selector, so that could just be another option in that list.
Yes I replaced the 3rd CC-CV with deedicated MIDI in. That took a lot of complexity away believe it or not. There is a way to make that input auto-detect a non-midi plug so could be a trigger input for something when not being a MIDI input I might implement (requires another optical isolator though to keep it 100% isolated as per MIDI protocol)
Sandrine
diffrentstrolks wrote:
Very excited for this, Sandy

My "select bus alert" went off; happy to see that protocol made it in! applause

Ha ha! Yep! The hardware is in place, the implementation is another thing.
The thing I see for Sequence selection (outside of using the Matrix) is a SelectBus list of sequences you want to load... There may be more (like parameter control etc) but that's the most obvious...



sutekina bipu-on wrote:
I personally would heavily appreciate a selectable ppqn parameter. Some mpc's had this as a feature and it was a wonderful addition to change the feel of a sequence on the fly.

I'm starting to realize this could replace any other midi sequencer I have and that is giving me a few other thoughts. Please forgive me if i missed some details that were in the videos or elsewhere.

Wow! Lots of questions, thanks!

Yes input Clock Div is there /1 to /16, /24, /32, /64, /96.

Behind that quick box is ppqn /1 to /8 to *2 to *16 and *24 for MIDI to Clock Out jack. The Clock:/x quick box is in one of the videos but I haven't shown it yet.

Quote:

-can you use a trigger sequencer into the clock in? this is one of my bigger concerns, some gear happily take trigger sequencers to create a start/stop rhythm but some don't like when you output a trigger sequencer to its clock input. if this could be converted to midi & sent thru the midi out i'd be ecstatic.


With the present clock algorithm varying clocks cause a "swing" which is oddly entertaining, but the old "nobody knows the future, but we all know the past" axiom is true here. The rate will be based on the last 2 clocks minimally, so a missing clock will only yield a slow-down after the expected clock time has passed.
This isn't a step sequencer in that respect, more of a sample player really, with events that happen between clocks.

Quote:

-that also reminded me that my drum machine has a eurorack clock out. i often plug it into a clock divider as it's too fast by itself. can the clock input divide the signal coming in if necessary?

yes, as above, the clockDiv can be set to whatever clock division.

Quote:

-would there be headers on the module to allow for use of a midi breakout module? (making a 5 pin din MIDI connection). if i decide to use this as a master sequencer i would become worried about clutter of 5 pin midi cable adapters coming off the front panel.

There is a simple backplane header for MIDI I/O. This is primarily for interfacing with our other modules (or others) like the Reflex LiveLoop or the upcoming Accord Melisma.
These are configurable to act as MIDI splitter and merger to/from the front panel, Channel separation/isolation splitter, etc. so could also be a front panel mirror with these options. smile

Quote:

- I noticed the auto-rec mode. It looks like what i'm looking for, however is this only for panel based changes? Can you record in loop mode like with the RIT_M, it seems like you can use it like an old school midi sequencer where you play in real time over a loop?

Those two are totally different functions.
Yes Auto-Rec is "automation recorder" and record all panel changes over a set number of bars (up to 64) before switching to play the automation.
The ClockOut, when not being used with a MIDI clock input, becomes an analog input (hence the upward arrow) that can offset the transpose, select jumps around the sequence by markers or bars (if no markers), switch Channel Modes, or Chord Order. These are also recorded by AUTO-REC.

One quick box I removed was "OverDub" but that's being replaced with REC-LAYER eventually. when turned on, all incoming MIDI (notes, CC's, Program Changes, etc) will be layered onto the playing track whether looping or not. This was proposed by Paranormal Patroler with the idea that a track can be built up.

This layering is only temporary and can be removed selectively, but also can be saved permanently with the SAVE EDIT box.
The channel used is the channel the new tracks are recorded onto so it's a pretty powerful addition.

Quote:

-you can dump the stored sequences as sysex or something?


On the Pedal 7 sequencer I designed and loosely based this design on I can do that. It's more of a backup dump scenario and works fine with MIDI-Ox software to save/load up the on-board memory, but it's god-awful slow. It would take almost 2 minutes to dump/load.
That said, I will probably still add it as it does add possibilities, especially for performing vs. experimenting canvasses.

Quote:

-is it capable of concurrently looping midi tracks of different lengths? (if i have a 4 bar drum loop and a 8 bar rhythm and a 32 bar melody for example all looping) - or is it not an issue because the sequarallel sees everything as 2 bars?

I don't fully understand the latter part but no. That would require splitting tracks into arrangements and would become really complicated to use.
In your example, that would just be the sequence as arranged in DAW or being sent out by another piece of hardware.
Loop points are added to the sequence (either by special note in sequence or post recording from the panel) that Loop on/off and JumpTo will respond to, or just single bar loops if there are no markers.

Quote:

-is there a "performance mode" where you have a list of all your sequences / songs and can select the next one to play after the current one is finished?


Interestingly the Pedal 7 has this and I have been trying to resist the temptation of adding it here, but any more comments on that and it will be ha ha!
I personally like it because
a) It can queue up the next after a stop and wait for a Play arm, or change in clock, whatever
b) can be set for which sequences auto-load in order
c) can just play out all sequences (self clocked to original BPM if no clock)

Quote:

-lastly - this might be a lot (too much?) to ask but what if one of cc5/cc6 could be switchable to cv input in software? my idea is using a separate cv sequencer i have to modulate the sequarallel while it's playing. I have a setup where one step sequencer on a very slow clock playing a note into another step sequencer which has a cv/transpose in connector. Then you could pick which track 1-4 you want to be affected by the transpose CV input. i think would be great for playing improv too...
my idea is really just stolen from here https://youtu.be/_lnve907PVs?t=88


At this point only the Clock Out jack, as mentioned above, and possibly the MIDI in trigger alternate are the only inputs (other than actual MIDI input) that can control the sequence. But never say never wink
The Clock jack can CV control the transpose. Right now it's under CLOCK:/xx box with transpose, Jump, ChanMode as options. I suppose an "ALL" or "CHAN:xx" could be an extra transpose option easy enough

2 easy ways to do what you are suggesting (I have already done it) is to either turn on REMOTE quick box and transpose all via MIDI (I use a keyboard) or just use a MIDI controller to send Pitch wheel data to specific channels that will change while playing the sequence.

Thanks for all of the questions, I enjoyed answering them all! I'm sure everyone is a bit more (or lot) informed about the Sequarallel now thumbs up
sutekina bipu-on
Thanks so much for your detailed replies, Sandy! I have a much better idea of how i can plan out having fun with this module thumbs up Also I am super excited because i think it can work as the long awaited and very much needed replacement for old style midi sequencers like the mmt8.

The length of time for a sequence backup scenario is not too concerning to me. I don't see myself using it often, just when i want to be absolutely sure if i ever have to re-initialize the module for whatever reason or accidentally delete something.

I also totally missed the arrow coming from the clock out connector, so that is awesome to hear. applause

Sandrine wrote:

Quote:

-is it capable of concurrently looping midi tracks of different lengths? (if i have a 4 bar drum loop and a 8 bar rhythm and a 32 bar melody for example all looping) - or is it not an issue because the sequarallel sees everything as 2 bars?

I don't fully understand the latter part but no. That would require splitting tracks into arrangements and would become really complicated to use.
In your example, that would just be the sequence as arranged in DAW or being sent out by another piece of hardware.
Loop points are added to the sequence (either by special note in sequence or post recording from the panel) that Loop on/off and JumpTo will respond to, or just single bar loops if there are no markers.



I apologize for the confusion lol

I had the Elektron Octatrack in mind when i was asking this. You can assign each track a different length however when i was going through the videos of the Sequarallel again I noticed, at least for the 2nd test video, all the loops were 2 bars long. Hence me asking if the sequarallel sees everything as 2 bars. But now I think that may just be because your demo song was made up of 2 bar loops and I was thinking faster than I could type lol

It's cool even if the Sequarallel can't do that. I've never actually had / used a sequencer myself that has this feature. But i always thought it was cool.

Quote:

-is there a "performance mode" where you have a list of all your sequences / songs and can select the next one to play after the current one is finished?

Interestingly the Pedal 7 has this and I have been trying to resist the temptation of adding it here, but any more comments on that and it will be ha ha!
I personally like it because
a) It can queue up the next after a stop and wait for a Play arm, or change in clock, whatever
b) can be set for which sequences auto-load in order
c) can just play out all sequences (self clocked to original BPM if no clock)


I've never heard of the pedal 7 so dang. I really gotta check that out. But my favorite hardware sequencers all had this sort of mode and I use it exactly the ways you do. And so I would be so very grateful if i could bug you to work that in applause

So so so hype for this. There has been lots of desire for a MIDI sequencer that is a spiritual successor of old school sequencers which had a minimal interface. The fact that this is not only that, but it's in Euro format, is really exciting to me and I think when more people become aware of this module a lot of people will see it's what they've been waiting for. thumbs up
Sandrine
Update!
After experimenting with the new layout (MIDI in/out, 6 CC's) with the above thoughts in mind I have decided to add these panel changes:

MIDI in jack:
When used with standard TS patch becomes a Reset/trigger for Play/Stop. The thinking here is when used with MIDI, a MIDI Play/Stop and clock will control the module's sync etc. and Clock Out will have the clock for everything else.
When used with a trigger and constant clock, sequencing begins. Subsequent triggers will restart the sequence according to the present JumpTo setting. So if JumpTo is set (via CV or quick-box button) to 0 then the sequence will re-start from the beginning, if JumpTo is 1, then sequence will go to 1st marker (or bar) etc.
If the S button is pressed, then full Stop is armed for the next trigger.

Starting a sequence playing can still be hitting P button if there's no clock at the time, which will arm for the 1st clock pulse. If there is no clock at all it can be forced to start (under self clocking @ original BPM) by hitting P a second time.

CV 5 & 6 jacks:
After much deliberation I have decided to make both of these jacks bi-directional. I see the need for more simultaneous control. These inputs (CV) can be configured to select JumpTo points, transpose, CV ChannelMode, MIDI controls (modulation, PW, PC etc).
They can be set, along with most other parameters, per sequence. They will drive <40mA so not a disaster if patched against another output by accident.

MIDI Out:
If a regular T-S style plug is patched in, the MIDI out will send Loop Triggers instead. The advantages of this are obvious, to sync up other sequencers or step to select a different JumpTo or transposition or whatever else

Clock Out will still maintain it's I/O ability.

These I/O settings can be made and left as global default settings for all new sequences at which point they will be saved with the sequence, but can be edited afterwards. That's how it is now.

This will make the sequencer so much easier to sync and offer a lot more control over sequences! Not sure how to graphically represent this yet though he he


@ sutekina bipu-on
-on the multi-tracking, I can't really think of an easy way to present that to the interface (i.e. starting/stopping individual tracks) but switching channel modes not only select which channels go to the Gate/CV outputs, but also which channels are blocked, so in effect acts in a similar way to multi-tracking. For example (here I go!):

Channel Mode 1+1+1+1:
MIDI channels 1,2,3,4 but 1&2 are MIDI blocked
Channel Mode 3+1:
MIDI channels 1 and 2, but 1 is blocked
Channel Mode 2+2:
MIDI channels 1 & 2, but 2 is blocked
Channel Mode ALL4:
MIDI channel 3, but is blocked

So switching between these 4 would send over MIDI
1+1+1+1: all but MIDI channel 1&2
3+1: all but MIDI channel 1
2+2: all but MIDI channel 2
ALL4: all but MIDI channel 3

These 4 configurations could be expanded to block any of the 16 channels really, just a longer list to select from wink
tiger001
if i understand correctly, this plays 1 sequence at a time, with up to 16 MIDI channels simultanously

those 16 MIDI ch can be directed -more & less- to 4 full ch & 2 cc outs
1 MIDI ch goes to 1 ch/cc so there is a Bijection (relation) with the possibility to block/mute MIDI ch (why not merge MIDI ch to ch/cc ?)

but loops points etc are always per sequence, not per MIDI ch ?

if you replaced the third cc out with a dedicated MIDI in, please update the feature list

love the overdubbing possibilities, please add punch in/out (?)

what i found very neat in (old) MIDI sequencers was the possibility to add/cut/copy/randomize/move MIDI notes and/or values (cc etc) as percentages, not only as hard values or minus or pos
Sandrine
tiger001 wrote:
if i understand correctly, this plays 1 sequence at a time, with up to 16 MIDI channels simultanously

those 16 MIDI ch can be directed -more & less- to 4 full ch & 2 cc outs
1 MIDI ch goes to 1 ch/cc so there is a Bijection (relation) with the possibility to block/mute MIDI ch (why not merge MIDI ch to ch/cc ?)

That's right. But I guess I need to be more clear on the Channels Modes.
1 channel can be fed to all 4 for chords, or 2 channels fed to 3 and 1, 2 and 2, or 4 channels individually.
In the channel selector<-->jack /mode, presently there is 1-16, so merging would add "global" or "all" so all channels have access to the jacks at once?
The CC's can be any channel, but if assigned to AT function then the channel is locked to the note's channel
For per channel notes (MPE) only CM 1+1+1+1 would be useful (assigned ch2+). MPE PW on the CC's would apply, but could be on the 1st jack's row but CC74 (cut) on the rest so single note keying would be bendable (to the CC jack) while others not. I wonder if some MPE controllers can send mod (CC1)?

Quote:

but loops points etc are always per sequence, not per MIDI ch ?

Also right. I would love to split them up but how would one control multiple loops?
There would still need to be a way to turn each on/off, jump to markers etc. From the panel, OK, but via CV's one needs to select to channel, while the other the marker, then a trigger to make it happen...
Intriguing to say the least!

Quote:

if you replaced the third cc out with a dedicated MIDI in, please update the feature list

love the overdubbing possibilities, please add punch in/out (?)

Yep, indeed it is now as shown, way better too. MIDI in can also be a trigger input for reset, start/stop if used with a T-S plug.

The overdubbing is in the works, and yes it can be left in record or turned on/off at will. I like the "build" capability of this. I also plan to provide access to layers on/off with a LAYER quick box, and CV control to toggle a layer on/off sequence-wide. I think this would be amazing for jumping around in a sequence and adding layers in loops without having to hit record, and have CV toggling them on/off.
Then layers can be saved if you want. So basically you could just have a percussion sequence with some loops, record whatever you want on top of it, then jump elsewhere, making a whole composition.

If the keyboard/controller has capability to switch channels easily, then multiple channels will be recorded.

Quote:

what i found very neat in (old) MIDI sequencers was the possibility to add/cut/copy/randomize/move MIDI notes and/or values (cc etc) as percentages, not only as hard values or minus or pos

Really? Are we talking DAW sequencers or...
There's chop, randomize and quantize in FL Studio + other stuff but that doesn't really make sense here.... without a large display he he
Switching around note orders randomly would be cool, as well as inversions, but again how to control? within a loop?
"NOTE EDIT" quick box--> INV:+2-->RANDOM-->REVERSE
OMG that looks good!!

You're an idea guy aren't you Dead Banana
tiger001
hey, i'm merely the declarant

select notes in a seq (maybe in a/the loop, or bar/beat markers), then inverse/reverse/mirror around an imaginary line (the middle to make it easy, could be any -'drawn'- line, horizontal or vertical) full/all, or 50%, or 25% etc
same with random, copy, move etc - even play
-what's important when editing is to keep the selection active, not 'deselecting' when the processing is done
-when all is done on 1 sequence but possibly 16 MIDI ch, it is important to be able to distinguish between MIDI/ch so that processing is selective, not global on all notes/MIDI (messages) in the sequence
-there are a lot of fun things you can do with (only) notes, or (only) MIDI cc, or (only) velocity/pressure

MIDI cc has everytime a MIDI channel tied with it, these are not global messages, but channel ones, like channel aftertouch etc
so i hope i understand you right : if i play MIDI CC 27 values 0-> 127 in a 2 bar sequence on channel 2, i can direct/play those through sequarellel ch 2, or 5 or 6, to my choosing and that will output CV -5->+5V, or 0->10V, as chosen/setup/configurated

channel AT locked to ch output sounds logic
poly AT too - btw, this is a MIDI 1.1 protocol, not MPE
if you send MIDI cc1 over from a traditional instrument, it will influence the whole sound
if you send MIDI cc1 over from a MPE instrument, this can influence every tone/note apart

still, a merge with/between particular channels would be awesome (e.g. MIDI ch 1-3 play sequarellel ch 1, MIDI ch 4-6 output ch 2, MIDI ch 7-9 play ch 3, MIDI ch 10-13 play ch 4, MIDI ch 14-16 play ch(cc) 5)
-why give all MIDI ch access to all ch at once ? then all ch would output the same ? (unless you can select particular MIDI ch, or mute some per ch)
Sandrine
tiger001 wrote:
hey, i'm merely the declarant

select notes in a seq (maybe in a/the loop, or bar/beat markers), then inverse/reverse/mirror around an imaginary line (the middle to make it easy, could be any -'drawn'- line, horizontal or vertical) full/all, or 50%, or 25% etc
same with random, copy, move etc - even play
-what's important when editing is to keep the selection active, not 'deselecting' when the processing is done
-when all is done on 1 sequence but possibly 16 MIDI ch, it is important to be able to distinguish between MIDI/ch so that processing is selective, not global on all notes/MIDI (messages) in the sequence
-there are a lot of fun things you can do with (only) notes, or (only) MIDI cc, or (only) velocity/pressure

Ah OK! So that wouldn't follow musical rules of an kind, interesting. I had thought about inversions +/- and random but within perceived chord parameters within a single bar... Seems it might be a bit intense with the UI as it is, but always a possibilty.
On that note (ar ar) I am considering a bar-by-bar display of notes on any selected channel. That's always cool. Maybe could go from there...

This might still be of interest to some (myself included):
I had implemented a special MIDI record (overdub) that, when a keyboard is plugged into the MIDI in, would set all of the notes to the last notes played live based on their previous relationship with each other both pitch-wise and positionally of course, eg
An arp sequence of C2,E2,G3,E3,C4 with an EMaj at octave 2 would become E2, Ab2, B3, Ab3, E4.
But it was super hard to control! I may give it another try with Arp timing rules or some other algorithm...
If it worked right, this would be amazing. Then parameters such as inversion or random could be set.

Quote:

MIDI cc has everytime a MIDI channel tied with it, these are not global messages, but channel ones, like channel aftertouch etc
so i hope i understand you right : if i play MIDI CC 27 values 0-> 127 in a 2 bar sequence on channel 2, i can direct/play those through sequarellel ch 2, or 5 or 6, to my choosing and that will output CV -5->+5V, or 0->10V, as chosen/setup/configurated

Of course.
I was thinking, as per below, that perhaps rather than a single channel for the CC /AT value, have a range declaration i.e.
CC1:AT CH:02 TO CH:CH:05 so that range of channels would be present on jack CC1. In the Channel Modes List (under 1+1+1+1) channels could be set 2,3,4,5 for individual gates or just one jack CH:02 to CH:05

Quote:

channel AT locked to ch output sounds logic
poly AT too - btw, this is a MIDI 1.1 protocol, not MPE
if you send MIDI cc1 over from a traditional instrument, it will influence the whole sound
if you send MIDI cc1 over from a MPE instrument, this can influence every tone/note apart

Yes, but the MPE option is there anyway
I'm still learning the MPE format, but wouldn't each channel be set to the same instrument for use with regular GM MIDI synth?
I understand that each note played is organized into which-ever order (that's the crux of the issues with bringing that to the panel) over separate channels, so accompanying CC's or AT/PW messages apply per note per channel. It's a cool concept, but for the panel jacks this polyphony would need to be limited to 4 if that's do-able with this MPE hardware...

Quote:

still, a merge with/between particular channels would be awesome (e.g. MIDI ch 1-3 play sequarellel ch 1, MIDI ch 4-6 output ch 2, MIDI ch 7-9 play ch 3, MIDI ch 10-13 play ch 4, MIDI ch 14-16 play ch(cc) 5)
-why give all MIDI ch access to all ch at once ? then all ch would output the same ? (unless you can select particular MIDI ch, or mute some per ch)

Yes true, channel ranges would take care of that. SO I'll set it up that way.
My logic was that ALL channels would follow the CC1-4's setttings, but it's more logical to just also have ranges in ChanMode's.

for single channel operation settings would be like CV1:CH:01 TO CH:01

Good!
Sandrine


In this video, I create a simple sequence, record it in, then modify it with MIDI input, panel, and CV inputs.
The Sequarallel is slowly changing into the release version and this video marks some decent changes that make more sense:
+Velocity Jacks now assignable to CC, Velocity,AT, and MIDI MPE compatible
+Old CC1 jack is now "dedicated" MIDI input. (Korg TRS)
+MIDI input can also accept Sequence Reset trigger if normal T-S plug used
+CC's 5 & 6 are bidirectional configurable per sequence
+Added Clock Out arrow to show it is bi-directional for Analog controls as well

Time stamps:

New! 0:50
Composing Sequence (with loop markers) 2:10
Recording! 4:55
Play it! (looping, Jumping) 5:30
Transposing and Modifying Instrument via MIDI Inputs 6:45
Transposing with panel, then with MIDI Remote 8:15
Clock Out Jack, CC 5&6 jacks 9:50
AUTO-REC Automation recording 10:28
Bad Loops! 14:10
CV Controlling Jumps 15:53

More advanced features are also in the works but won't be explored until the new design (for the bi-dir CC5&6 mostly) is ready.
Manufactured PCB design is also being updated.
Sandrine
I have updated the original image at top of thread to the real prototype and made up this panel description for a one-shot look at the main features of the sequencer.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group