MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Fantom of Truth as revealed by Roland
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author The Fantom of Truth as revealed by Roland
Koekepan
I just had a massive insight in the wake of the latest releases from Roland.

Obviously, the Ju06A is kind of a synth, but also at least partly a groovebox, what with its sequencing capabilities. Not all the way there, though.

The MC101 is definitely a small groovebox - not as full-featured as its big brother, but it's groovy.

The MC707 is a large, powerful groovebox.

The Fantom is a megagroovebox.

No, really, I'm serious.

Check this out:

The Fantom will pattern sequence itself.

The Fantom will pattern sequence outboard gear.

The Fantom will do drums and synth sounds.

The Fantom doesn't have linear sequencing, and doesn't have audio tracks, so it's not an audio workstation and it's not a classic synth workstation.

It's just a huge, very fully-featured groovebox.

The Fantom is the bigger, meaner, steroid-chomping answer to the MC707.

It's a groovebox.
Panason
Roland is the fuddy-daddy turning up at a party in 2019 wearing 90s rave swag. And probably white socks and a belt bag.

These new releases are a desperate rehash of all their dated tech and over-used sounds, all thrown in along with the kitchen sink... Apparently the new Jupiters have drums and piano sounds... lol
Koekepan
I'm not actually against Roland from a synthesis perspective. Their sounds work, and they work well. The Integra-7 is a solid sound module regardless of your background, and is in fact a favourite of film composers.

My real gripe with them is that they seem to be losing on the workflow side of things by retreating to the pattern side, whereas the simple addition of a linear sequencing module to the AIRA line would turn it to a massive production powerhouse.
tehyar
Panason wrote:
ll their dated tech and over-used sounds, all thrown in along with the kitchen sink... Apparently the new Jupiters have drums and piano sounds... lol

Yeah, seriously lame, right?

goes back to fiddling with Prophet X
tehyar
I watched the in-depth demo by that Roland guy for Guitar Center. Gotta say the OP is totally correct. It's even more than that. It's a groovebox with a keyboard and huge sound engine attached, and a little bit of Live workflow in it. It's actually pretty damn brilliant. There's nothing out there quite like it for loop stuff.
anselmi
Koekepan wrote:
I just had a massive insight in the wake of the latest releases from Roland.

Obviously, the Ju06A is kind of a synth, but also at least partly a groovebox, what with its sequencing capabilities. Not all the way there, though.

The MC101 is definitely a small groovebox - not as full-featured as its big brother, but it's groovy.

The MC707 is a large, powerful groovebox.

The Fantom is a megagroovebox.

No, really, I'm serious.

Check this out:

The Fantom will pattern sequence itself.

The Fantom will pattern sequence outboard gear.

The Fantom will do drums and synth sounds.

The Fantom doesn't have linear sequencing, and doesn't have audio tracks, so it's not an audio workstation and it's not a classic synth workstation.

It's just a huge, very fully-featured groovebox.

The Fantom is the bigger, meaner, steroid-chomping answer to the MC707.

It's a groovebox.

I believe the word you're looking for is...
tehyar
hihi

Did you see the part where you can switch to a totally new sound while still holding the keys from the old sound, with no interruption?
mome rath
Panason wrote:
Apparently the new Jupiters have drums and piano sounds... lol

which is pretty cool imo
Koekepan
Groovesynth. Yeah. Ga-roovy.

I agree with tehyar. Sonically, the new Fantom is clearly a beast. It has a nice keybed attached to a nice sound engine, but when you're not playing it live, it's a clippy, patterny groovebox.

Unfortunately, in a world that contains an MPC X (much cheaper than even the cheapest new Fantom), the Synthstrom deluge (now in v3, and cheaper yet), and the Elektron family (you can buy a digitone keys and a digitakt for less than the cheapest new Fantom), I can only conclude that the Fantom is a kitchen sink groovebox - sorry, groovesynth - with an oversized pricetag.
h4ndcrafted
Save a fantom will sound a 1000 times better than the elektrons , yes I did the math.

As much as Roland cash in on their long in the tooth tech, it does work well. I always say this is the last Roland, yet I go back.

At least now they seem to have updates , this new range of gear will make a lot of good music.

If I wasn’t set on getting an Argon , I’d almost certainly be getting a Jupiter xm. I listen back to track ideas every now and then, and the ones that really stick out of late are when I had my system 1m.

How much automation can you record into a pattern I wonder ? Is it like Ableton whereeach clip can contain its own automation ?
ranix
I would never buy any Fantom after they dropped all support for Fantom X only a few years after it was released. The computer aid software is totally derelict and there's no way to get it to even run on a modern Mac.

Here's a timeline of events:

2004: Roland introduces Fantom-X
2006: Apple announces new Mac computers will use Intel chips, software will need to be recompiled to run on new MacOS
2007: Apple ships first Macs that can no longer run the Fantom-X software
2008: Roland releases Fantom-G, no software updates for Fantom-X

Imagine paying $2000+ for a synthesizer workstation that's obsolete within 4 years. 4! I have synthesizers from the fucking 1970s. NO THANKS
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1