Stuff you couldn't afford but now can.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Stuff you couldn't afford but now can.

Post by jdaddyaz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:03 am

I remember being young and looking at old music gear magazines and always wishing I could get my hands on an MPC, and some Roland stuff. Now a lot of that stuff which is to cost a good amount of money is going for peanuts on various sites. What are some things you've bought, or could buy, that you dreamed of having growing up.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:22 am

Andromeda, Modular.
But the most important thing I managed to get, is time to spend in the studio.

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:52 am

nectarios wrote:Andromeda, Modular.
But the most important thing I managed to get, is time to spend in the studio.
I've now got the money to buy pretty much all of the things I lusted over when I was a teenager but now with 2 young kids and business to run I don't have the time to use it.

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:59 am

Now a lot of that stuff which is to cost a good amount of money is going for peanuts on various sites.
On the other hand: a lot of that stuff costs way more than when they were new :roll:

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:26 am

The scales have fallen from my eyes somewhat. I have a JX-3P and SH-101, but I rarely use them because my Euro blows them, and anything else that was around at the time, out the water. I'm more pragmatic than I am romantic. :despair:

Having spent long stretches without two pennies to rub together I like to keep in mind that it's an immense privilege to own the gear I do have. Helps keeps things in perspective. :party:
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Skiff, Waveform Laboratory, Funboat

paperCUT
Veteran Wiggler

Post by paperCUT » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 am

Liddlepud wrote: I've now got the money to buy pretty much all of the things I lusted over when I was a teenager but now with 2 young kids and business to run I don't have the time to use it.
Same here, no kids but a job that involves long days creating art has meant a healthy bank account. Spending it takes time, and the last few purchases have barely been touched :waah:

One thing I am gonna get soon is a nice case, it's furniture after all:
http://www.addacsystem.com/product/adda ... ster-frame
8-)

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:30 am

In the late nineties, all I wanted, with every fiber of my being, was one of those Emu E4XT Ultra samplers. They were thousands of bucks and then by the time you added on the RFX32 card and additional memory, etc. even more.

I still haven’t bought one, but you can grab one for like $500 these days. It’s really interesting to me to see the turnaround in hardware prices on digital stuff from that generation.

Unfortunately, all of the vintage stuff I wanted has gone up up up up up up in price. Fortunately, I bought a LOT of what I wanted when it was a LOT cheaper. SH-101 for $250. Juno 6 for $300. SP-1200 for $1000. TR-606 for $200. Etc. etc. etc. etc. The few things I thought I’d wait until later on are now permanently out of reach due to price inflation.

I still love the feeling of buying something luxurious from yesteryear, like an Eventide 3000 or a massive Emulator, complete with manuals - this was TOP OF THE LINE luxury at one point.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Grumble
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Grumble » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:46 am

[video][/video]

I remember drooling when attending a demo of the Fairlight Sampler/synthesizer.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

We are in our lean times now so there is no getting anything new. Fortunately, when times weren't so lean i was able to get a few things that i've always wanted (an honest to goodness Moog for crying out loud) so i'm so happy to have what I do. To be completely honest I've gotten stuff from trades that I never thought I would. Thanks MuffWigglers!

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:29 pm

My financial situation has gone up and down, feast and famine, throughout my life. The last few years have been feast, so I have been buying gobs of euro, assuming that in another few years I won't be able to buy anything.

Back in the 80s I never imagined I would own any modular. It was a total fantasy. I did everything with just Juno 106, an ESQ-1 and various drum machines.

Currently, I am building the music machine of my dreams out of euro and I expect to be exploring it for the rest of my days.

I remember being stoked to buy an A6 Andromeda when they first came out. I thought it was the synth of my dreams. Now, I haven't touched it in years.

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Bath House wrote:In the late nineties, all I wanted, with every fiber of my being, was one of those Emu E4XT Ultra samplers
Yeah. back then I borrowed money to buy one, then quickly realised I didn't like the UI and wasn't going to spend time on it because the PowerMac G3 came out and could do it better... so I bought that too. :guinness: It's been a long learning process.

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:39 pm

still can't afford these...
:party: :lol:
https://pinelectronics.com/ or a Macbeth EL2.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:56 pm

When I was younger and had no money I made music using my computer. Now I’m using a $20000 eurorack setup. It’s all good.

I also have two kids and a high stakes job but I do manage to find time for my number one hobby.
My attempt at dodecaphony, following all of the twelve-tone serialism rules but still fashioning it the Lisa style that you all know and love. ;)

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:42 pm

All of it, really. Starting when I first got back in to synths 10 or 15 years ago, I went nuts on eBay and bought a Wavestation A/D, Xpander, SEM, Prophet VS, Prophet VS rack (had to have a back up), Yamaha TX816, TG33, Ensoniq DP/4 Synthi, Serge, etc, along with Buchla and other new modular, Minimoog, etc. Almost every purchase I made had something to do with something I had seen in a magazine or a musical hero's rig back then.

A few of them bored me pretty quickly (Wavestation, TG33), though a lot of them ended up being good choices. And it's not so different now, since walls of modules were in magazines, too. Just different formats.

Still wondering when I get to have the things I want now that I can't afford. :lol: Synthi 100, SSL console, Prophet 10, CS-80, PPG everything . . . :waah:

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 pm

It's funny that a lot of what people are mentioning lusting over can now be done on $500 laptops or tablets.

Now that I can afford more things I'm actually trying to simplify things and rely on Ableton more to avoid clutter and lust for new shiny things.

MARK27
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MARK27 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:54 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:It's funny that a lot of what people are mentioning lusting over can now be done on $500 laptops or tablets.
Eurocat wrote:hookers and cocaine
Even cheaper than that if you aren't picky!

Revok
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Revok » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Nothing too special but I still would like to get an MS2000 at some point.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:50 pm

That limited edition gold-plated Moog.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 pm

...oh but also.......all those synths and samplers from the 80's and 90's that I don't even want anymore but I could now buy for a couple hundred bucks.

Came so close to drunk-buying a Wavestation EX a couple of weeks ago, but started to question my nostalgia...

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:01 am

I dunno, I have bought and sold many physical things I wanted as a kid. Now what I really want is time, energy, health, and peace of mind.
----------------------------------------

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:00 am

Not music gear, but ten years ago I couldn't afford a used digital Hasselblad. Now you can find really good ones for around $3k. There are so many for sale now, I'm waiting for the right camera and seller in my city.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:36 am

I’m still in full on lust mode for a big Oberheim polysynth. I’m going to pay off this years acquisitions first, and go hunting for an Obie in the new year!

I still also want a Fizmo.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:27 pm

lisa wrote:Now I’m using a $20000 eurorack setup
Wtf?!! :woah:
a high stakes job .
Ah! I see. :party:

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm

ObsoleteModular wrote:
lisa wrote:Now I’m using a $20000 eurorack setup
Wtf?!! :woah:
a high stakes job .
Ah! I see. :party:
It’s not that crazy. With the piecemeal nature of eurorack, shit adds up before you know it.

cscairney
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cscairney » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Buchla 200e ,but now I’ve heard it enough to know it’s not really what I’m after. I love listening to what people do with their systems. If I were to own any it would be a VERY small system.

A good piano. But I don’t want to care for one so I’ll go to a studio and pay for the time if I need.

The things that inspire me most these days are fairly cheep and limited in functionality.

Seems I’ve gotten more practical as I’ve increased my income...

Return to “General Gear”