How to measure power consumption of a module?

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

HZR
Common Wiggler

How to measure power consumption of a module?

Post by HZR » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am

Hi, i have recently build a diy kit from errorinstruments (raw data) and i have no idea how much power it use from my uzeus.

Is there any way of measuring this?

AndreasD
Common Wiggler

Post by AndreasD » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:25 pm

I built a Joranalogue Test3 DIY for that job.

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 pm

With a high spec multimeter measure the resistance of the power cable to supply and then measure the voltage drop across that cable.

tardishead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tardishead » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Both readings will be very small

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Amperage measurements are typically made with a meter that is in series between the power supply and the powered modules. The meter has to be able to handle the range of current passing through it. I use a Jorananalogue Test3 module myself which is more convenient than the probes of a standard meter -

It can test up to a Amp if you want to, but I use it when testing modules before shipping.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

HZR
Common Wiggler

Post by HZR » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:30 am

Thank you all for the answers, i see that the Test3 is a common utility for measuring modules.

So, i think i should get a new module :despair:

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:29 am

HZR wrote:Thank you all for the answers, i see that the Test3 is a common utility for measuring modules.

So, i think i should get a new module :despair:
If you aren't doing this regularly, and assuming you have a multimeter already, it might be quicker and more cost effective to make/adapt a power lead so you can insert the meter to directly measure the current draw from each supply line.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:04 pm

MarcelP wrote:If you aren't doing this regularly, and assuming you have a multimeter already, it might be quicker and more cost effective to make/adapt a power lead so you can insert the meter to directly measure the current draw from each supply line.
Before I got the Test3 module, I used a standard power cable with the voltage lines broken by normalizing jacks. I made a test lead for my multimeter that just plugged in, break the normalization and placed the meter inline, in series, between the PS and the module the cable was connected to. That worked but was a bit clumsy. It would be simple to put it in a small project box with jacks and the cable running in and out the ends.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”