which module next?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

which module next?

Post by tuj » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm

Can anyone tell me how to make sound with this? I want to make trance like Paul Oakenfield. What modules do I need? What should I add for maximum big room techno?

:deadbanana:

PietroC
Common Wiggler

Post by PietroC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Is this really your set-up??
There's even modules lying face down on top of the cases thats nuts
and You want more Modules???
:tu:

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm

Your music will never be good until you get a fidget spinner module.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 pm

ha, but really all those unracked cases stacked on top of one another are anxiety inducing.....

i know its a joke, but......

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:really all those unracked cases stacked on top of one another are anxiety inducing.....
Seismic activity at a minimum around here. Zip-ties keep me humble.
Is this really your set-up??
Yeah man, it's not photoshop. :hihi:

I've been playing the game for a little while. No I don't really need more modules but of course I have some already on pre-order and my eyes on others, and some that won't fit in my rack (look on top).

The whole point was to make a joke about the plethora of 'what module next' threads that are currently dominating the Eurorack discussion. Sometimes maybe we need to *look* at others to learn, not just rely on the community to decide your rig for you. Just today I had someone asking me which was the ultimate sequencer (because he said he had narrowed it down to two..), which were Circadian Rhythms and Eloquencer. I was like 'dude, they essentially are two completely different feature sets considering the CR is a *trigger* sequencer'. :despair:

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:09 pm

To be fair to new people (I’m less than 6 months in with 10U/104HP), there’s a zillion modules out there and it’s such a fun format to make music on. Easy to get sidetracked by shiny stuff and forget what’s priority for one’s musical goals. Most of us pull our heads out eventually :)

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: which module next?

Post by MarcelP » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:17 am

tuj wrote:
What should I add for maximum big room techno?

A big room, you got plenty of techno.

three86
Common Wiggler

Post by three86 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:03 am

tuj wrote:I've been playing the game for a little while. No I don't really need more modules but of course I have some already on pre-order and my eyes on others, and some that won't fit in my rack (look on top).
I don't see your phonogene or DPO but it might just be my eyes

helix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by helix » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:58 am

You've got two identical rows of 4ms PEG maths etc! Can i ask what you do with these two rows that necessitates two identical sets of modules? Very intrigued! :mrgreen:

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:47 pm

helix wrote:You've got two identical rows of 4ms PEG maths etc! Can i ask what you do with these two rows that necessitates two identical sets of modules? Very intrigued! :mrgreen:
So yeah, you're right that one case has two absolutely identical rows: PEG, Maths (OG), A-143-1, 2xA-132-4, uVCA. So if you think about it, having 6 VCA's and 8 EG's or LFO's in the row really works well as a VCA hub. That's why it's right in the middle too, because I'll use those envelopes for filters and other modulation duties. Not to mention you can make the A-143-1 into a giant 8-stage crazy envelope or switch on any of the 4 segments to LFO mode, just like with PEG or Maths.

Maths, well you know how good it is.

PEG, I love me some clock-synced envelopes, so having four is quite useful in the big system, especially at different multiples.

A-143-1, this guy doesn't get enough love, it's a great module, it's just a little wide.

A-132-4, the new design Dieter has cleaned up the audio path and it sounds much better than the old A-132-2. It also normals the CV to all the VCA's so you can use 1 source to control 4 if you want without multiples.

uVCA, tons of gain, variable response, silent at 0v, makes it pretty much one of the best VCA's in Euro, aside from my Intellijel HexVCA's that I love to death.
I don't see your phonogene or DPO but it might just be my eyes
Sharp eyes. I don't have either. I have a TWO59 that pretty much covers the analog-complex-dual-oscillator thing, sure it's not the same as the DPO but to my ears, well, the DPO and STO just don't sound that great. They're ok, nothing wrong with them and once you throw them through a filter it's not going to matter.
Last edited by tuj on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

a773
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by a773 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:09 pm

tuj wrote:Can anyone tell me how to make sound with this?
I think that colored spaghetti on the floor goes in the holes. :tu:

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:30 pm

tuj, man... I love you, but seek help.

https://www.onthewagon.org/get-help/

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Is that an OG screen printed color Hadron Collider in there !? As well as a fresh black/silver version. What a beast!

I'm just gonna go out there and say I don't see a WMD Crucible. Might go well with your healthy spread of other WMD modules. :nana: :sb:
A-143-1, this guy doesn't get enough love, it's a great module, it's just a little wide.
So true. No other envelopes have such perfectly dialed ranges, and the attack behavior is my favorite. I made a modded Mutable Stages firmware so it has similar ranges and the same attack behavior.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:00 pm

Hey dude, shout-out to WMD from MODULAR HOUSTON! :yay:

Yeah the Crucilble and the new Crater kick are on my short list. Pretty happy with the Chimera and the Fracture tho. I like the approach on those modules, a lot like what NE is doing, which is funny bc I believe you do production for them right?

Yeah the WMD screen pint with the red. I swear to god that it sounds different than the silver/black only production run. I have *two* of those (yes, that's 3 uHC's total...) and I have to say the red one sounds better. I don't know why, but there's something different about it, maybe a parts value or tolerance or something.

Phitar
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phitar » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:01 am

MarcelP wrote:
tuj wrote:
What should I add for maximum big room techno?

A big room, you got plenty of techno.
+1
My first thought was a bigger room too! :hihi:
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Never bring a spork to a gunfight. - Guns Akimbo

Bionecteur
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bionecteur » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 pm

can't see a Magneto or Morphagene ...:-)

PietroC
Common Wiggler

Post by PietroC » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:20 am

Buffered Mult???

ggillon
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ggillon » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:43 am

tuj wrote: Yeah the WMD screen pint with the red. I swear to god that it sounds different than the silver/black only production run. I have *two* of those (yes, that's 3 uHC's total...) and I have to say the red one sounds better. I don't know why, but there's something different about it, maybe a parts value or tolerance or something.

It's because of Ork magic :deadbanana:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ork
Orks are commonly believed to be stupid and superstitious by the other races of the 40k world, but they can also be cunning and quick on the draw. Orks are always ready for a fight and while you can trick them, they quite like the idea of tricking people back.

Their philosophy of DA RED WUNZ GO FASTA is the ultimate truth: because of the aforementioned gestalt field, Ork vehicles painted red will ultimately go faster than Ork vehicles that are not painted red, because the Orks believe that Red makes everything go faster:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”