MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Your favourite Polysynth?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Your favourite Polysynth?
StrangeAttraction
Hi,
Lots of new polysynths came out in the recent years, so here's a thread to get MW view on what you fav poly is.
p.s. I'm looking to buy my first poly, so also looking for advice. I like both subtractive and FM though...which is a conundrum what to get (e.g. Prophet Rev2 or something like Digitone).
nectarios
The newest poly I got is the Minilogue XD.
The main con is the 4 voices, but I have other polysynths for more voices.

The main pro is that it combines analog and digital and sounds rather good for the cash and the features. EVen the effects are very decent and the interface is a joy to use.
Corrupt
Deckards
unclebastard
Sledge 2 Black and Dreadbox Abyss
slumberjack
I like the P8 mk1 that in got for a steal last christmas pretty much tho gotta say that 8 voices can be limiting in a positive way.
rauch
prophet 6 and ob6. not the most versatile synths out there but they sound so good. followed by abyss and perfourmer.
Panason
Novation Peak for life.

Digitone sounds like flat and cold ass.
mmp
I love the Rhodes Chroma, the Novation Peak & the Prophet VS.

Runners up: Korg PS3XXX series, Roland V-synth/Varios, and the polyphonic physical modeling of the Korg OASYS-PCI card.
StrangeAttraction
Novation Peak..huh? What do you like about it?
mmp
I like the filters, the ease of programability, the poly aftertouch capabilities, the price, the wave tables, the mod matrix and how easy it is to map gestural performance to responses in sound.

I have two polychained (using a MIDIPal) for sixteen voices hooked to a Roland A-80 with poly aftertouch and it sounds great. The whole system cost less than $2300 US used and is very expressive. It is my attempt to create a system better than the new Summit, by having 88 keys and poly aftertouch.

So far, I am extremely happy.

Short answer: very easy to program and get expressive music out.

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Novation Peak..huh? What do you like about it?
Struggle
I recently got a Parva for the 2nd time. I experienced issues with some of the voices on the 1st one I had and gave up on it. This time around I got a used one that I was sure was working 100%. I think it sounds fantastic. 8 voices, 3 osc, lots of character, multitimbral w/8 outputs, MPE, 4 lfos/envelopes, easy to navigate, small footprint. Does everything I want and nothing that I don’t want. Seems this synth made some people angry, but I’m loving it.

Tasty Chips GR-1 is great too.
wechard
I couldn’t pick just one, but the two I keep coming back to are the Prophet 6 and the FM side of the MODX. I also regret selling my Blofeld and might get another at some point, so it almost counts as another favorite.
mamsk
think the upcoming hydrasynth will take that spot from my rev2 (which i still like quite a bit)...that thing is unmatched at the price:features intersection
Sir Ruff
This is kind of like asking what everybody’s favorite ice cream flavor is. In no way is it going to be informative or helpful to you as far as helping you decide what to buy.
acidbob
I dont really have a favorite as such, as I believe that it's a combination and years of trial and error combining different equipment that suits the sounds that I like. However I have to say that I am really surprised by the Novation Peak, it sounds really good. For many years one of my secret weapons has been the Oberheim M1000 combined with a ASOL Semblance.
But also I really like the TX81z and the Digitone.

If I had to choose one it would be the Blofeld or Nordrack2, they both sound good, but not as good as the Peak, but I would choose them because they are multitimbral and have good midi implementation - So in that regard you could make an entire tune using only one of these machines.

The Matrix1000 (in my case, 2 white faced) It's a matter of it being my first poly that I really liked, and in recent years they had good OS upgrades that makes them super easy to use, in the beginning it was all sysex and baaaad response to the little midi they had. So actually I have been looking at the OB6 but for the price I paid for my M1000s I could have bought 8 of M1000's vs. 1x OB6, the fact that it's not multitimbral puts me off, but the sounds of the OB6 is there for sure, but it would only make one small part of a tune in my case. Let's see about the UB-XA wink
slicetwo
I feel like I'll never sell my Digitone. The amount of crazy different sounds i can get out of it is fantastic. Warm and crunchy, cold and clean, deep and smooth, it just never ceases to amaze me. It has a few design flaws that make it a bit wonky under certain use (the way it uses voices when playing the same note, for example) but it's the only Elektron box I have left (had the A4, MM, MD, and OT).

I also still love my Virus C and have played with the TI a bit. It's so deep that, even after 13 years of ownership, I feel like I'm still learning new shit on it.
Jaypee
Ob-6!!!
CF3
Jaypee wrote:
Ob-6!!!

In terms of pure sound: OB-6 (m)

In terms of programmability: Peak

There’s no shortage of good choices currently.
chaocrator
Blofeld.
rauch
peak is a great synth but the sound left me cold. i prefer pure sound over programmability. if i had to choose only one poly with lots of possibilities tho, it probably would be the peak. or an andromeda.
mmp
I will say the initial presets shipped with the Peak left me cold. But, once I got into it, I found I could get some wonderful sounds out of it. I think it has a very versatile filter.

But, everyone’s taste is different. I never liked my Oberheim Xpander’s sound and I know that puts me into some kind of whacked out group.

rauch wrote:
peak is a great synth but the sound left me cold. i prefer pure sound over programmability. if i had to choose only one poly with lots of possibilities tho, it probably would be the peak. or an andromeda.
rauch
if you want both analog and fm on a small budget, i‘d go for a minilogue or deepmind and a dx7
rauch
mmp wrote:
I will say the initial presets shipped with the Peak left me cold. But, once I got into it, I found I could get some wonderful sounds out of it. I think it has a very versatile filter.

But, everyone’s taste is different. I never liked my Oberheim Xpander’s sound and I know that puts me into some kind of whacked out group.

rauch wrote:

the xpander wasn‘t my thing either smile the peak filter is really nice no doubt, but there‘s something about its overall sound that i didn‘t like. can‘t really put my finger on it. maybe it‘s just that i compared it with synths like the ob6, which is instant gratification.
coolshirtdotjpg
I haven't tried many modern polys, have a few 80s analog/hybrid polys though, and comparatively the sound of my Prophet '08 is a bit thinner (especially compared to my Juno 106), but the flexibility makes up for it (although the Juno isn't going anywhere).

Given that the sound is very similar, I'd say the Rev2 is a great option for everything that you don't need the most fat/vintage sounds for. For those cases the OB6 and Prophet 6 are, to my mind, the best options out there. Personally, I think I'd get a vintage Polysix instead of those, but that's all personal preference.

The Korg stuff sounds great, but seems offer less in the way of modulation routing. Never connected with elektron interfaces so haven't owned them.
ObsoleteModular
+1 for FM-X on MODX and Blofeld as mentioned above

Two analog favourites (of what I own) OB6 and Juno 6
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5