MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Filter for drone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Filter for drone
Gyroscope
I've tried a couple of filters in the last couple of years and got rid of them all because none of them seemed adequate. I'm now filterless (except for Optomix and Resonant EQ) and would like to add a "real" stereo filter.

I think one of the problems is that I don't have any oscillators in my case, only samplers. Is there a type of filter that excels for more complex waveforms than simple sine or square waves?
johny_gtr
I can recommend Stereo Dipole. I use it on live performances for filtering loops and samples. Great resonances work, good for stereo effects. Not so coloring (even with drive pots at 5) as many vintage filters (like precise Moog 904 clones)
It's very important to modulate freq, resonance and spread to achieve fresh sounds.

I think that QPAS can do the same but I don't have it to compare.
vailsy
you didn't mention which filters you've already tried but I would recommend the morpheus, it pairs very well with something like a nebulae for example since there are so many filter types. I normally have a dual looping delay in between them. with a 2hp trim as well it makes a very good 60hp pod btw since all the modules are shallow enough
Gyroscope
Thanks both of you. I had the Dipole on my list and had never heard about the Morpheus.
Yes Powder
+1 on the Morpheus.
If that doesn't give you cool drones, no filter will.
Chopper
Mutable instruments shelves.
For real.
When heavily modulated it brings layers of movements to the most common static oscillators. Very underrated.
dubonaire
Yes Powder wrote:
+1 on the Morpheus.

Yes agree with Morpheus. The trick is finding the sweet spot of attenuverter settings and modulation CV for all three Freq, Morph and Transform dimensions, for the particular Cube being used.
Gyroscope
dubonaire wrote:
Yes Powder wrote:
+1 on the Morpheus.

Yes agree with Morpheus. The trick is finding the sweet spot of attenuverter settings and modulation CV for all three Freq, Morph and Transform dimensions, for the particular Cube being used.

Ish, that sounds a little complex seriously, i just don't get it
dubonaire
Gyroscope wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Yes Powder wrote:
+1 on the Morpheus.

Ish, that sounds a little complex seriously, i just don't get it

Well I think the thing about drone is good drone comes from a lot going on that sits in the background behind the feedback, reverb and delays. But the underlying content is rich. Anyone can do drone, it is quite obviously the simplest structure, but good drone requires richness, subtlety and finesse. Drone is not minimalism. And even then minimalism is not simple.
mskala
Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
Gyroscope
mskala wrote:

Yeah but it absolutely needs to be unfortunately.
chilllwinston
Not sure how it is with complex oscillators, but the ADDAC 601 might be worth a look. Odd and even outs, wet and dry outputs, and sounds great when the different frequency bands are modulated. Awesome kill switches and envelope followers are also included. Potential downsides include size, price, and the fact that it’s a fixed bandwidth design.

ADDAC 601 on modular grid
ersatzplanet
I have dumped almost all of my VCOs in my rig and replaced them with wave players (Nebulae and 4ms STS) and since these modules are stereo, I use dual filters as the main filters following them. I use WMD Micro Hadron Colliders mainly. You can get a fairly animated sound from a simple mono drone from them by running it in its different modes (serial or parallel) and using the separate outs (one for each side and a mix out).

I have recently added a WMD Overseer stereo filter and may get a second. It is a dual filter with a unique control scheme that is modeled after the filters in DJ mixers. It does a great job and had a lot of different output sounds.
southberry
It's not the most obvious but Qpass is great for drones ... just add few peaks with a bit of resonance and you can do nice thing to animate a drone
cavidim
i guess Mannequins - three sisters would be a good option
Gyroscope
ersatzplanet wrote:
I have dumped almost all of my VCOs in my rig and replaced them with wave players (Nebulae and 4ms STS) and since these modules are stereo, I use dual filters as the main filters following them. I use WMD Micro Hadron Colliders mainly. You can get a fairly animated sound from a simple mono drone from them by running it in its different modes (serial or parallel) and using the separate outs (one for each side and a mix out).

I have recently added a WMD Overseer stereo filter and may get a second. It is a dual filter with a unique control scheme that is modeled after the filters in DJ mixers. It does a great job and had a lot of different output sounds.

Wow, never heard of these. I think the Micro Hadron Collider is what I was looking for!
Gyroscope
cavidim wrote:
i guess Mannequins - three sisters would be a good option

This is one of the filters I tried. It was in the beginning though so maybe I was too inexperienced to get good results with it.
Gyroscope
southberry wrote:
It's not the most obvious but Qpass is great for drones ... just add few peaks with a bit of resonance and you can do nice thing to animate a drone

Yep, I'll have to decide between Qpas, Hadron Collider or Stereo dipole.
uebl
mskala wrote:

Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob, simply use some offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.
uebl
mskala wrote:

Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob on both filters at the same time, simply use an offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.
mskala
uebl wrote:
mskala wrote:

Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob on both filters at the same time, simply use an offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.

I agree, but that doesn't seem to satisfy some of the people who want a "true stereo" module that they say is different from just having two channels. I'm not sure where the original poster of this thread stands on that point.
Groundloop
Gyroscope wrote:

Mylar Melodies put up a QPAS demo that was about 33% ambient/drone, which is right up my street. It might only be on his Patreon page for now though, but I was very impressed with the QPAS. That said, I've never used any of the filters in your list.
Gyroscope
mskala wrote:
uebl wrote:
mskala wrote:

I agree, but that doesn't seem to satisfy some of the people who want a "true stereo" module that they say is different from just having two channels. I'm not sure where the original poster of this thread stands on that point.

I'm not sure me neither loly! Was only looking at stereo but this could be an option.
Gyroscope
Groundloop wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:

Mylar Melodies put up a QPAS demo that was about 33% ambient/drone, which is right up my street. It might only be on his Patreon page for now though, but I was very impressed with the QPAS. That said, I've never used any of the filters in your list.

Thanks, I'll try to track this video down!
guigui
Groundloop wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:

Is that one?

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2