Filter for drone

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Filter for drone

Post by Gyroscope » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:24 am

I've tried a couple of filters in the last couple of years and got rid of them all because none of them seemed adequate. I'm now filterless (except for Optomix and Resonant EQ) and would like to add a "real" stereo filter.

I think one of the problems is that I don't have any oscillators in my case, only samplers. Is there a type of filter that excels for more complex waveforms than simple sine or square waves?

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 8:49 am
Contact:

Post by johny_gtr » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:52 am

I can recommend Stereo Dipole. I use it on live performances for filtering loops and samples. Great resonances work, good for stereo effects. Not so coloring (even with drive pots at 5) as many vintage filters (like precise Moog 904 clones)
It's very important to modulate freq, resonance and spread to achieve fresh sounds.

I think that QPAS can do the same but I don't have it to compare.
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

vailsy
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by vailsy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:15 am

you didn't mention which filters you've already tried but I would recommend the morpheus, it pairs very well with something like a nebulae for example since there are so many filter types. I normally have a dual looping delay in between them. with a 2hp trim as well it makes a very good 60hp pod btw since all the modules are shallow enough

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Thanks both of you. I had the Dipole on my list and had never heard about the Morpheus.

User avatar
Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"
Posts: 1601
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 am
Location: Albany, New York
Contact:

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:18 pm

+1 on the Morpheus.
If that doesn't give you cool drones, no filter will.

User avatar
Chopper
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:17 am
Location: London

Post by Chopper » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Mutable instruments shelves.
For real.
When heavily modulated it brings layers of movements to the most common static oscillators. Very underrated.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 pm

Yes Powder wrote:+1 on the Morpheus.
If that doesn't give you cool drones, no filter will.
Yes agree with Morpheus. The trick is finding the sweet spot of attenuverter settings and modulation CV for all three Freq, Morph and Transform dimensions, for the particular Cube being used.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:48 am

dubonaire wrote:
Yes Powder wrote:+1 on the Morpheus.
If that doesn't give you cool drones, no filter will.
Yes agree with Morpheus. The trick is finding the sweet spot of attenuverter settings and modulation CV for all three Freq, Morph and Transform dimensions, for the particular Cube being used.
Ish, that sounds a little complex :despair:

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 7016
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 am

Gyroscope wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Yes Powder wrote:+1 on the Morpheus.
If that doesn't give you cool drones, no filter will.
Yes agree with Morpheus. The trick is finding the sweet spot of attenuverter settings and modulation CV for all three Freq, Morph and Transform dimensions, for the particular Cube being used.
Ish, that sounds a little complex :despair:
Well I think the thing about drone is good drone comes from a lot going on that sits in the background behind the feedback, reverb and delays. But the underlying content is rich. Anyone can do drone, it is quite obviously the simplest structure, but good drone requires richness, subtlety and finesse. Drone is not minimalism. And even then minimalism is not simple.

User avatar
mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by mskala » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:10 am

Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Genome Jazz

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 am

mskala wrote:Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
Yeah but it absolutely needs to be unfortunately.

User avatar
chilllwinston
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 pm
Location: the couch
Contact:

Post by chilllwinston » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Not sure how it is with complex oscillators, but the ADDAC 601 might be worth a look. Odd and even outs, wet and dry outputs, and sounds great when the different frequency bands are modulated. Awesome kill switches and envelope followers are also included. Potential downsides include size, price, and the fact that it’s a fixed bandwidth design.

ADDAC 601 on modular grid

User avatar
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design
Posts: 6660
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Post by ersatzplanet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:26 pm

I have dumped almost all of my VCOs in my rig and replaced them with wave players (Nebulae and 4ms STS) and since these modules are stereo, I use dual filters as the main filters following them. I use WMD Micro Hadron Colliders mainly. You can get a fairly animated sound from a simple mono drone from them by running it in its different modes (serial or parallel) and using the separate outs (one for each side and a mix out).

I have recently added a WMD Overseer stereo filter and may get a second. It is a dual filter with a unique control scheme that is modeled after the filters in DJ mixers. It does a great job and had a lot of different output sounds.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

User avatar
southberry
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:56 pm
Location: Toulouse

Post by southberry » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:33 pm

It's not the most obvious but Qpass is great for drones ... just add few peaks with a bit of resonance and you can do nice thing to animate a drone

User avatar
cavidim
Common Wiggler
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 am

Post by cavidim » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:53 am

i guess Mannequins - three sisters would be a good option

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:59 am

ersatzplanet wrote:I have dumped almost all of my VCOs in my rig and replaced them with wave players (Nebulae and 4ms STS) and since these modules are stereo, I use dual filters as the main filters following them. I use WMD Micro Hadron Colliders mainly. You can get a fairly animated sound from a simple mono drone from them by running it in its different modes (serial or parallel) and using the separate outs (one for each side and a mix out).

I have recently added a WMD Overseer stereo filter and may get a second. It is a dual filter with a unique control scheme that is modeled after the filters in DJ mixers. It does a great job and had a lot of different output sounds.
Wow, never heard of these. I think the Micro Hadron Collider is what I was looking for!

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:00 am

cavidim wrote:i guess Mannequins - three sisters would be a good option
This is one of the filters I tried. It was in the beginning though so maybe I was too inexperienced to get good results with it.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:02 am

southberry wrote:It's not the most obvious but Qpass is great for drones ... just add few peaks with a bit of resonance and you can do nice thing to animate a drone
Yep, I'll have to decide between Qpas, Hadron Collider or Stereo dipole.

uebl
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Germany

Post by uebl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:48 am

mskala wrote:Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob, simply use some offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.

uebl
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm
Location: Germany

Post by uebl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:49 am

mskala wrote:Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob on both filters at the same time, simply use an offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.

User avatar
mskala
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:33 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by mskala » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:45 am

uebl wrote:
mskala wrote:Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob on both filters at the same time, simply use an offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.
I agree, but that doesn't seem to satisfy some of the people who want a "true stereo" module that they say is different from just having two channels. I'm not sure where the original poster of this thread stands on that point.
North Coast Synthesis Ltd.
Latest Web log posting: Genome Jazz

User avatar
Groundloop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:40 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by Groundloop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:02 am

Gyroscope wrote:Yep, I'll have to decide between Qpas, Hadron Collider or Stereo dipole.
Mylar Melodies put up a QPAS demo that was about 33% ambient/drone, which is right up my street. It might only be on his Patreon page for now though, but I was very impressed with the QPAS. That said, I've never used any of the filters in your list.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:56 am

mskala wrote:
uebl wrote:
mskala wrote:Requiring it to be "stereo" really limits your options.
Well, any filter can do stereo if you have 2 of them and then simply mult your CV. If you'd like to control a knob on both filters at the same time, simply use an offset module, mult its CV and patch to both filters.
I agree, but that doesn't seem to satisfy some of the people who want a "true stereo" module that they say is different from just having two channels. I'm not sure where the original poster of this thread stands on that point.
I'm not sure me neither loly! Was only looking at stereo but this could be an option.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:57 am

Groundloop wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:Yep, I'll have to decide between Qpas, Hadron Collider or Stereo dipole.
Mylar Melodies put up a QPAS demo that was about 33% ambient/drone, which is right up my street. It might only be on his Patreon page for now though, but I was very impressed with the QPAS. That said, I've never used any of the filters in your list.
Thanks, I'll try to track this video down!

User avatar
guigui
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Post by guigui » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Groundloop wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:Yep, I'll have to decide between Qpas, Hadron Collider or Stereo dipole.
Mylar Melodies put up a QPAS demo that was about 33% ambient/drone, which is right up my street. It might only be on his Patreon page for now though, but I was very impressed with the QPAS. That said, I've never used any of the filters in your list.
Is that one?

[video][/video]

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”