MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Error Instruments Broken Tape Simulator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Error Instruments Broken Tape Simulator
witchonhorseback
Was surprised to see this module pop up on Modular Grid, and more surprised not to find anything about it here. I think I'm gonna order one—it's right down my street. Anyone have one yet?

https://www.errorinstruments.com/a-57321469/error-modular/broken-tape- simulator/

Secondary topic—I happened across this while looking for tape-saturation simulators. I presently use an outboard Strymon Deco for this but wondered if anyone is making one for Eurorack.
Paranormal Patroler
I uploaded the module on MG. I doubt this one will sound even remotely nice as the Strymon Deco, but I still want to grab one at some point. Sounds nasty.
witchonhorseback
Yeah I certainly don't expect a nice smooth tape sim...I did put in an order for it...thanks for posting it on MG!
taylor12k
not sure how much it really sounds like broken tape... but it sounds pretty interesting.. and look forward to what it does to subtle, gentle sounds..

ordered!
behndy
yurp. love his stuff. usuuuuually want a bit more CV inputs, but this looks FUN. also ordered.
cliffemu
What does it sound like with drums as input?
chilllwinston
cliffemu wrote:

This just popped up on my feed yesterday

Drum sounds start about halfway through
cliffemu
chilllwinston wrote:
cliffemu wrote:

This just popped up on my feed yesterday

Drum sounds start about halfway through

Thanks, I didn't see that one. Drum around 3:40. Was hoping for a drum loop like a breakbeat or something, but it seems to really destroy the original signal regardless.
bemushroomed
its so lazy of him to not get line-in audio.. i've never understod manufacturers who are year after year presenting their work on YT but couldn't care less how it sounds. It's like if a painter (who really wants to sell his paintings) would show his hard work through a really dirty window where you can only get a vague idea. d'oh! its mind numbingly stupid.
chilllwinston

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
witchonhorseback
Just got mine...in theory, I like it a lot—it is VERY lo-fi, to be sure, as advertised. The speed-up / slow-down idea is well implemented, and I like the unpredictability of the thing. It's not totally clear to me what the repeat knob is supposed to be doing...it sometimes has no effect? By design, perhaps?

I think I may have to return mine, though. When I first hooked it up, no controls had any effect at all; the signal was a little compressed and attenuated, that's it. I removed it and examined the back—the QC on this thing is very poor, the soldering's sloppy, PCB has burn marks on it, several joints seem barely connected...I did get it to work a couple of times, but not reliably or for very long. It would cost so much to return it and get it back that maybe I should just go through it with the soldering iron and re-flow everything and see if that improves matters.
witchonhorseback
witchonhorseback wrote:
It would cost so much to return it and get it back that maybe I should just go through it with the soldering iron and re-flow everything and see if that improves matters.

OK, I tried this, and it seems to be working. The power connector wasn't really soldered on completely—I think one of the leads was only making intermittent contact with the pad. Onward and upward!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1