New Sequential Pro-3 in the horizon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

New Sequential Pro-3 in the horizon

Post by anselmi » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:59 pm

Via Synthanatomy

Sequential has recently registered a new trademark for a Pro-3 synthesizer

I´m waiting for something similar to the Prophet-X in a Pro-2 format...less synth for keyboardists, more for sound designers

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Sequential Pro-3 in the horizon

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 am

anselmi wrote:Via Synthanatomy

I´m waiting for something similar to the Prophet-X in a Pro-2 format...less synth for keyboardists, more for sound designers
I would be surprised if it was that. If they did a synth like that, I think it would appear in the Prophet line, because that's how Dave does things.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:32 am

dubonaire wrote:

I would be surprised if it was that. If they did a synth like that, I think it would appear in the Prophet line, because that's how Dave does things.
I mean a "Pro" version of the Prophet-X, like the Pro-2 and the Prophet-12

The Prophet-X sample-based oscillators with 4 paraphonic voices with a couple of analog filters

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:23 am

anselmi wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

I mean a "Pro" version of the Prophet-X, like the Pro-2 and the Prophet-12

The Prophet-X sample-based oscillators with 4 paraphonic voices with a couple of analog filters
I guess it is possible. I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design. So a sound design synth would be a Prophet. But I'm just guessing.

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 am

dubonaire wrote:I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design. So a sound design synth would be a Prophet. But I'm just guessing.
That's interesting. You should check out the specs on the 12 vs the 2. The Pro 2 may be the most complex synth engine they've ever made. It was created as a "sound designer's dream".

https://www.sequential.com/wp-content/u ... rt-4.6.pdf

This is why I would have to agree: you take that beasty and give it granular synthesis as well? Holy moly, batman.

edit: If I'm making my wishlist, I'll just go ahead and add a stereo signal path and dual state variable filters that can switch between serial and parallel, thanks. :hihi:

Panason
is banned
is banned

Post by Panason » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:22 am

tehyar wrote:
edit: If I'm making my wishlist, I'll just go ahead and add a stereo signal path and dual state variable filters that can switch between serial and parallel, thanks. :hihi:
Absolutely! No svf, no deal!
No wave shaping/ wave folder, no deal...

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:54 am

dubonaire wrote:
I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design. .
huh? :hmm:

digitalganesha
Ultra Wiggler

Post by digitalganesha » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 pm

dubnspace wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design. .
huh? :hmm:
Yeah, I found that a strange one too.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm

tehyar wrote:
dubonaire wrote:I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design. So a sound design synth would be a Prophet. But I'm just guessing.
That's interesting. You should check out the specs on the 12 vs the 2. The Pro 2 may be the most complex synth engine they've ever made. It was created as a "sound designer's dream".

https://www.sequential.com/wp-content/u ... rt-4.6.pdf

This is why I would have to agree: you take that beasty and give it granular synthesis as well? Holy moly, batman.

I hope they add those beautiful PX filters too

Stereo is kinda the star today, and the PX have true stereo signal path so I think they don´t should include this in the new synth as well

Sanys
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Sanys » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 pm

dubonaire wrote:I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design.
i wonder if u own the synth. it's pure sound design synth for me.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 am

Sanys wrote:
dubonaire wrote:I thought the Pro 2 was a stage synth and not really for sound design.
i wonder if u own the synth. it's pure sound design synth for me.
I don't own one, however I have had a good look at the synth and always thought it would be awesome for sound design. I think all of his recent synths are amazing for sound design. But if you check out Dave Smith's introduction of the synth he emphasizes the ergonomics and playability, and it also has a smaller keyboard than the Prophet range.

But I'm OK to be outnumbered on this :). Poor choice of words I guess.

I still would be surprised if they add the X sampling thing to this. I think it will be a paraphonic monosynth with similar form factor with some new synthesis elements, maybe wavetables or a new kind of vector synthesis or similar.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 am

Can’t help thinking it will be a more basic mono synth, something like the AS1 but in a useful form factor , maybe with wavetables ?
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 am

I hope it's different enough than the PRO2 I just bought new a couple month ago :doh:

Hopefully they keep all the possible modulation destinations. PRO2 is one of these synths that let you modulate pretty much everything which is awesome.
It would be great to have new fxs that have their all parameters assignable, and like you guys said more digital oscillators possibilties (samples, wavetable, ect...).

Maybe they could add probabilities and other new features on the already great sequencer as well.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:57 am

ludotex wrote:I hope it's different enough than the PRO2 I just bought new a couple month ago :doh:

Hopefully they keep all the possible modulation destinations. PRO2 is one of these synths that let you modulate pretty much everything which is awesome.
It would be great to have new fxs that have their all parameters assignable, and like you guys said more digital oscillators possibilties (samples, wavetable, ect...).

Maybe they could add probabilities and other new features on the already great sequencer as well.
Deep modulation matrix is a feature of all Sequential synths so I’m sure it will be retained.

spikysimon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by spikysimon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 am

h4ndcrafted wrote:Can’t help thinking it will be a more basic mono synth, something like the AS1 but in a useful form factor , maybe with wavetables ?
I'd buy that -- I have the AS-1, love the sound, but I don't enjoy using an editor for programming, and it would be nice to have the sequencer sync bug fixed. I don't think that would be called Pro-3, though, it would be too simple compared to a Pro-2

SweetNuthin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SweetNuthin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:26 am

they raised the bar so high with the Pro 2 (proud pro2 owner for 3 years) that it will be difficult to make something superior

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:26 pm

What do people like so much about the Pro-2, as compared to the Prophet-12? Just curious, I looked at the specs, and didn't get what everyone was saying was so impressive. Not saying it's not great, just curious specifically why.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:What do people like so much about the Pro-2, as compared to the Prophet-12? Just curious, I looked at the specs, and didn't get what everyone was saying was so impressive. Not saying it's not great, just curious specifically why.
The sequencer & the filters.

The sequencer is really well-integrated into the synth and has loads of capabilities.

And it has two different filters (plus variable routing options), including a SEM-style filter.

The biggest complaint I hear about the Prophet 12 is that it doesn't have the Pro-2's filter section.

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 pm

diophantine wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:What do people like so much about the Pro-2, as compared to the Prophet-12? Just curious, I looked at the specs, and didn't get what everyone was saying was so impressive. Not saying it's not great, just curious specifically why.

The sequencer is really well-integrated into the synth and has loads of capabilities.

And it has two different filters (plus variable routing options), including a SEM-style filter.

The biggest complaint I hear about the Prophet 12 is that it doesn't have the Pro-2's filter section.
yes the prophet 12 uses the old Curtis filter design like in the Prophet 08 and Evolver coupled with a 2nd highpass filter. the Pro2 uses a new at the time designed discrete SSM style 4 pole filter coupled with a SEM style SVF, that could both be used in series or parallel.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:20 pm

dubnspace wrote:
diophantine wrote:

yes the prophet 12 uses the old Curtis filter design like in the Prophet 08 and Evolver coupled with a 2nd highpass filter. the Pro2 uses a new at the time designed discrete SSM style 4 pole filter coupled with a SEM style SVF, that could both be used in series or parallel.
Very cool, thanks makes a lot of sense.
New video on Prophet 12 Drone Patches:
Prophet 12 Drone Patches

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:43 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
dubnspace wrote:
diophantine wrote:

Very cool, thanks makes a lot of sense.
Also: you have superwaves at the oscillator level (multiple, detunable copies of the waveforms for each oscillator) and 4-note paraphony, so you have chords covered for some kind of use

And it have the rotating oscillator assignment in paraphonic mode, and you can do the trick of use different oscillator settings. Coupled with individual oscillator routing thru the 2 filters this opens a new world of possibilities with both manual chord playing and arpeggios

The form factor is more appealing for some people than a bigger, 5-octave keyboard, and it´s cheaper than the P12

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am

anselmi wrote: And it have the rotating oscillator assignment in paraphonic mode, and you can do the trick of use different oscillator settings. Coupled with individual oscillator routing thru the 2 filters this opens a new world of possibilities with both manual chord playing and arpeggios
Yes! Top that off with the fact that the 16 track sequencer can be used in Key Trigger mode, which turns it into a super arpeggiator/modulator. Incredibly fun to play.

Paraphonic osc rotation and key trigger seq mode are my fav two features of this beast. If simpler synths had even these two features they would be much more powerful. I seriously hope they keep them in the next iteration.

robinkle
Common Wiggler

Post by robinkle » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:25 pm

Dave Smith tends to go new directions continously. But I hope that features we love about the Pro-2 will be implemented in the Pro-3.

I'd keep the digital oscillator uncompromised, but added the sampling ability from Prophet-X.

Then I would replace the descrete SSM-2040 like filter, with two SSI-2144 IC's for stereo. (From Prophet-X).

I would replace the old keybed with Fatar 49-key TP-9s (same as P6/OB-6).

Finally I would add digital effects with by-pass toggle switch.

I'd buy it no question.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:24 pm

robinkle wrote:Dave Smith tends to go new directions continously. But I hope that features we love about the Pro-2 will be implemented in the Pro-3.

I'd keep the digital oscillator uncompromised, but added the sampling ability from Prophet-X.

Then I would replace the descrete SSM-2040 like filter, with two SSI-2144 IC's for stereo. (From Prophet-X).

I would replace the old keybed with Fatar 49-key TP-9s (same as P6/OB-6).

Finally I would add digital effects with by-pass toggle switch.

I'd buy it no question.
what I´d want exactly...the 2144 sounds amazing in the PX

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Dave...please, don´t let me wait till NAMM...

Return to “General Gear”