MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla USA 2018 model - issues?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Buchla USA 2018 model - issues?
Nicken85
Hey,

I’m about to buy a buchla USA 2018 model and I am wondering about the 218 keyboard on that one. I’ve seen that they updated it during 2019. Are there any issues I should be aware of?

And also should it say “buchla electronic musical instruments” on the front lower right corner? Even though it’s not a BEMI?

Thanks!
blw
Nicken85 wrote:
Hey,

I’m about to buy a buchla USA 2018 model and I am wondering about the 218 keyboard on that one. I’ve seen that they updated it during 2019. Are there any issues I should be aware of?

And also should it say “buchla electronic musical instruments” on the front lower right corner? Even though it’s not a BEMI?

Thanks!


It is likely that they used existing panel inventories from the time of purchase until they ran out. The same thing occurred when BEMI purchased and was selling B&A panels for a time.
Nicken85
Allright. Do you know the reason why they updated the keyoboard?
blw
The new one doesn't have plastic frets between the keys and has additional grounding. The frets are the old school style and provide some nice tactile feedback, so you might actually prefer your version.
Nicken85
Thanks for your answer! So the additional grounding isn’t anything essential?
blw
I honestly don't know. Some people have had issues with random triggers on the original version., but I don't know how prevalent that is or what BUSA's remedy was--possibly just a dedicated ground plug? But you should be able to ground the 218 to your other gear or possibly to yourself when playing if you had an issue. Possibly as easy as wire attached to a screw one both cases if you had an issue. Someone else probably knows more about that than me.

You could probably search the Buchla forum for '218' and 'grounding' for some reading on that.
Nicken85
Thanks a lot man! Appreciate it!
eveldave
I have a 2019 BUSA and the earth thing with the keyboard is still a thing.

One of the wires associated with the reverb had snapped in transit and needed a repair.

And I don’t get any audio out the right hand tinijax out. Not sure if this is associated with the way I have the jumper set (I have dual audio out the side rather than audio and sustain) or some other transit damage. Too lazy to move the jumper and check.
papz
In BEMI Easels I've seen, this tinijax out is not wired to ground and as a result outputs no audio on its own. You want to check in yours and add a ground connection if it's missing as well, the ring of the other tinijax is an easy spot.
Nicken85
papz wrote:
In BEMI Easels I've seen, this tinijax out is not wired to ground and as a result outputs no audio on its own. You want to check in yours and add a ground connection if it's missing as well, the ring of the other tinijax is an easy spot.


How do i spot that? This is the one I’m getting:

Nicken85
It is a buchla USA one but built in 2018 and not 2019. So it should’ve gone through that extra layer of quality assurance that the BEMIs didn’t. Right?
ws9848
I have a BEMI easel and I don’t have that problem. Thats not something you’re gonna be able to see unless you take it out of the case and look for that.

And my easel is one of the first ones I think. At least a pretty early one.
Nicken85
ws9848 wrote:
I have a BEMI easel and I don’t have that problem. Thats not something you’re gonna be able to see unless you take it out of the case and look for that.

And my easel is one of the first ones I think. At least a pretty early one.


Ah ok. Thought it was something on the front panel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group