MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-9 vs ES-8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-9 vs ES-8
DavidB
I've been considering an ES-8 for integration with Ableton, VCV, etc. The ES-9 seems like it adds more inputs/outputs (potentially avoiding the need for expansion modules), adds headphone and monitor out jacks, and uses USB-C. Seems like that would justify the additional $$ depending on use case/existing modules, etc., but is there any additional functionality I'm missing? Does USB-C improve the functionality meaningfully vs. USB-B (both look to be using 2.0)? Thanks.
os
The USB connection is just a different socket. It has no bearing on the functionality.

The ES-9 has
- more inputs
- balanced main outs & a headphone out
- a built-in mixer
- MIDI (via a breakout)

The ES-8 has ADAT, and is arguably more flexible if you're wanting to integrate it with an existing interface, but then there's also the ES-3/6 in that case.
bhenry1790
I'm considering both too and the ES-9 looks amazing, but maybe ES-8 is better (for my needs) due to expansion with ES-3 / ES-6? My goal is to have a bunch of computer controlled modulation OUT of Ableton to my small modular. Inputs on the ES-9 are nice, but I would mainly use for audio (hardly ever CV)

I couldn't find anything on the Expert Sleepers site or ES-9 manual that addresses expansion with ES-3 / ES-6

Copied from Expert Sleepers site on ES-9:
Quote:
For even more outputs (up to 48 more), the ES-9 can be expanded with the ES-5*. It also has a pair of S/PDIF sockets for connecting other digital audio gear.

The ES-9 also provides a pair of MIDI sockets (via a breakout).

* The ES-9 has a dedicated pair of audio channels for the ES-5. Unlike the ES-3 or ES-8, you don't lose audio outputs when using the ES-5.

I'm not sure how Ableton handles the special output requirements of the ES-5.
Quote:
Unlike the ES-3 itself, the ES-5 requires particular software in order to generate meaningful output signals. Currently, the only such software is the 'ES-5 Controller' plug-in, part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way, and our Max/MSP external (see below).

Copied from Expert Sleepers site on ES-8 can be expanded to 16 out with ES-3 + 10 in with ES-6:
Quote:
The ES-8 also has ADAT inputs & outputs. This could be used for example to expand the I/O count via an Expert Sleepers ES-3 and/or ES-6, or to connect a traditional audio interface to add, say, mic preamps or 1/4" line outputs (for example with the Behringer ADA8200).

EDIT: I think the ES9 could be a total game changer because of the ease routing CV/Audio to/from modular/computer. Eager to see the demos and uses
os
Quote:
I couldn't find anything on the Expert Sleepers site or ES-9 manual that addresses expansion with ES-3 / ES-6

You can't. It doesn't have ADAT connections.

Quote:
I'm not sure how Ableton handles the special output requirements.

It handles them fine.

If you're going with the ES-8, how are you connecting your speakers and/or headphones?
bhenry1790
os wrote:
If you're going with the ES-8, how are you connecting your speakers and/or headphones?

Oh gotcha... Audio FROM the computer I hadn't considered. Ableton can only do 1 audio interface for output.

So looks like ES-9 or ES-3+ADAT interface are actually best options for me.
phutureboy
sorry for my ignorance but how is a S/PDIF input (TOSlink) different from an ADAT input ? The plugs look the same but the ADAT allows 8 digital channels when S/PDIF (TOSlink) is only 1 ?
os
S/PDIF is stereo, but works natively at all sample rates (whereas ADAT only goes up to 48kHz).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1