MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do I have a broken Harmonaig? Am I an idiot?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Do I have a broken Harmonaig? Am I an idiot?
submute
Having a tough time feeling like I am using this module correctly, or perhaps I have a defective unit (I bought it used).

I have an Eloquencer with a pattern going: C1 on the first step, E1 on the 8th, 16 step pattern. Eloquencer is set to chromatic C scale.

Harmonaig is set to manual chord quality, major 7th. Closed tuning.

CV attenuverter fully open (CW), no transpose settings (light is off).

The Harmonaig shows the incoming CV as a C and F (turns the E into F?) If I change that CV on the Eloquencer to D#1, the Harmonaig shows the right note light, but sometimes jitters that to an E1.

If I transpose up two octaves w/ the slider, the proper notes will light: C and E.

So... why? I think the lights are to indicate the incoming root CV but it's doing something weird.

I think the Eloquencer is behaving: if I output the CV from there (and not through the Harmonaig), the correct note is played.

Kinda nervous I have a buggy unit, but also well aware that I am brand new to it.
Richard deHove
Not sure I understand your issue, but I had some tuning confusion when I first got my unit. Ended up writing to Instruo and Jason very kindly answered at length. A really detailed response for which I remain most grateful!

Maybe this bit from that email will help:

"At the centre/12 o’clock position, the input signal is attenuated. Rotating clockwise from centre will positively scale your input signal and rotating anticlockwise from centre will scale the inversion of the signal.
In parallel to this, the fader can be used to define offsets both pre and post quantisation."

And also this which was in reply to my question about tuning:

"Regarding tuning to concert pitch.
There are various ways you can approach it.
I tend to consider everything in relation to 0V.
If you use the module’s unison octave tuning mode you can quickly define all 4 outputs as the same level.
That’s the easiest time to tune the oscillators to a unison.
The quantiser will by default (no global offsets) treat 0V as ‘middle’ C. Then quantise the root semitones across the integer multiples of volts.
So for 0V you could tune your oscillators to 261.6Hz (middle C).
That way the keyboard will be matched to common equal temperament. Anywhere a G is played, you’ll actually hear a G."
PompeiiRuler
I think I understand your problem as I have both modules and have tried sending a quantised pitch sequence from the Elo into the harmonaig with the same scale settings. Playing with the incoming cv attenuator gets close ( roughly 3 o’clock ) but I struggle to hit the corresponding notes across a scale also.
submute
Quote:
I think I understand your problem as I have both modules and have tried sending a quantised pitch sequence from the Elo into the harmonaig with the same scale settings. Playing with the incoming cv attenuator gets close ( roughly 3 o’clock ) but I struggle to hit the corresponding notes across a scale also.

Yup! Nice to know it's not just me.

I just now tried using the KB out of my Mother 32 in the 5th octave and the Harmonaig tracks quite well. At lower octaves it seems to have some quirky issues.

More exploring, I suppose.
Tomorrow Sounds Good
Could you post of video of what you’re trying to do ?
Kirk Degiorgio
whats the purpose of the CV attenuverter at the CV input? Is it to constrain random cv to a certain range of root notes or something else? Why not just have the CV input unaffected so a C1 / E1 / sequence plays C1 / E1 root notes?
Why the need for the fiddliness of having to adjust a very small minipot?
submute
Quote:
whats the purpose of the CV attenuverter at the CV input? Is it to constrain random cv to a certain range of root notes or something else? Why not just have the CV input unaffected so a C1 / E1 / sequence plays C1 / E1 root notes?
Why the need for the fiddliness of having to adjust a very small minipot?

It's a great question, it feels like an odd control.

Even w/ the attenuverter fully open (CW), the Harmonaig seems to struggle with identifying the root note at lower octaves.

I see this w/ the Eloquencer doing C1/E1 (and Harmonaig seeing C1/F1). Same w/ my Mother 32's KB Out: octaves like 1-2 do the same wrong thing, but octaves 3+ work fine.

I don't get it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1