MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

pitching audio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author pitching audio
prae
hi peepz

just wondering which program offers the "best" audio pitching (in the style of a record player, so slowing down the audio too)

so far i've been using ableton. HiQ on, repitch mode on. i calculate the new BPM with a little bit of maths to work out what the new tempo is were it slowed by -1semitone, -2semis etc

however, this doesn't sound amazing, especially at like -4 or something

are there better options out there? i heard melodyne has "the best" pitching algorythms but i've not tried it yet...
Yes Powder
Melodyne's pitching is the kind that doesn't change the tempo, which it sounds like that's not what you're looking for.
From my understanding, you're talking about just slowing down the audio.
Thing is there's not really much to a slowdown algorithm; all it does it change the speed at which the samples are played back— which of course shifts down the entire audio band with it. If you're not happy with how it sounds, then the thing to do is either to get audio recorded at higher initial sample rates (good luck on that if you're talking about commercial recordings) or maybe add an exciter effect to the chain for the pitched-down audio. This may help bring back a little bit of the high-end that is seemingly lost with heavily slowed-down samples.
acidbob
I find the Akaizer program super nice smile Check it out
Soy Sos
How about throwing the audio in Simpler and pitching it down there?
Either detune or send a lower midi note.
See if that gives you the desired effect.
prae
Soy Sos wrote:

good idea but need offline bouncing really!
acidbob
prae wrote:
Soy Sos wrote:

good idea but need offline bouncing really!

http://the-akaizer-project.blogspot.com/
Soy Sos
"good idea but need offline bouncing really!"

Not sure I understand what you mean.
ikkyu666
quite into ableton's pitching abilities - that being said, it can only do so much. make sure you've got it set to 'complex pro' and adjust the formants to your liking but if you've got warp on to prevent actually stretching the audio, its only going to sound 'good' for around +/- 5 before you start to get lots of artifacts popping up.

the old school MPC does it great. I also quite like the morphagene's sound but getting it to not warp the time is kind of a hassle.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1