Powering a 1u Standalone Case

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

mayonegg
Learning to Wiggle

Powering a 1u Standalone Case

Post by mayonegg » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Suggestions for powering an Intellijel 1u standalone case? I'm planning to DIY build an 84hp-ish 1u mini case to sit on my shelf. Not sure how best to power it. I hate to spend $$$$ on an unnecessarily overpowered power supply.

Am I crazy, or would something like this work?
https://www.synthrotek.com/products/mod ... usb-power/

gentle_attack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gentle_attack » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:01 pm

1u case? :despair: :sadbanana:
Control Skiff ||Big Case || cv.ocd || TT303v2 || Manther || OP-1 OP-Lab|| Octatrack Digitone RYTM || BX-8 BX-16 || Monologue KP3+

sir stony
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sir stony » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Depends of course on what modules you want to put in there. Just because they're smaller doesn't mean they draw so much less power.
I have that usb power, but use it to power one or two modules on their own on my desk, for updates, or checking diy builds before putting them in my main rack. It works, but it is not a clean solution, and definitely not designed to make a main psu for whatever system.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:49 pm

I have no idea what this company is like, but this seems to be the only 1U Intellijel format power module:

https://www.konstantlab.audio/shop/1upw ... or-1u-row/
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Powering a 1u Standalone Case

Post by Arneb » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:26 am

mayonegg wrote:Suggestions for powering an Intellijel 1u standalone case? I'm planning to DIY build an 84hp-ish 1u mini case to sit on my shelf. Not sure how best to power it. I hate to spend $$$$ on an unnecessarily overpowered power supply.

You're not crazy, but you're still wrong because Synthrotek is PL format, not Intellijel. The PL format is generally the more popular one with DIYers... The KonstantLab solution should work for you.

mayonegg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mayonegg » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 am

sir stony wrote:Depends of course on what modules you want to put in there. Just because they're smaller doesn't mean they draw so much less power.
I have that usb power, but use it to power one or two modules on their own on my desk, for updates, or checking diy builds before putting them in my main rack. It works, but it is not a clean solution, and definitely not designed to make a main psu for whatever system.
Thanks. I'm hoping to power an oscilloscope, buff mult, an octave switch, and maybe an attenuator or VCA. Not super power-consumptive, but looks like the total is going to be somewhere between 80-120 mA. I'm willing to go smaller, though. This whole thing started because I wanted a tiny, portable oscilloscope haha
Last edited by mayonegg on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mayonegg
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Powering a 1u Standalone Case

Post by mayonegg » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:04 am

Arneb wrote:
mayonegg wrote:Suggestions for powering an Intellijel 1u standalone case? I'm planning to DIY build an 84hp-ish 1u mini case to sit on my shelf. Not sure how best to power it. I hate to spend $$$$ on an unnecessarily overpowered power supply.

You're not crazy, but you're still wrong because Synthrotek is PL format, not Intellijel. The PL format is generally the more popular one with DIYers... The KonstantLab solution should work for you.

This power supply isn't specifically for the Synthrotek 1u format, though. I'm aware the PL and Intellijel 1u formats don't play nice, but if this power supply is capable of powering 250mA at +12v, and my Intellijel oscilloscope module, for example, is pulling 8mA, what would be the issue? The Synthrotek power supply accommodates a regular ol' flying bus cable.

If it's a matter of physically fitting in the case, that's nbd since I'm planning to DIY build that.

Thanks for your help!

mayonegg
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mayonegg » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:06 am

exper wrote:I have no idea what this company is like, but this seems to be the only 1U Intellijel format power module:

https://www.konstantlab.audio/shop/1upw ... or-1u-row/
Thanks!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”