MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-8 ADAT Pops & Clicks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-8 ADAT Pops & Clicks
jackpf
Hi,

I've seen a couple of posts with the same problem as me, but none really have a solution.

I've just got a Saffire Pro 40, and have switched from using my ES-8 as an aggregate device to using it in standalone mode, synced with the Pro 40 via ADAT, thinking this will solve all my syncing issues.

And for the most part it has, the only problem being that I get audible pops & clicks on the ES-8 inputs.

I have:
Everything set to 44.1KHz sample rate
Pro 40 set to internal clock sync
ES-8 on version 1.1.0 in standalone mode

I didn't get these issues with my aggregate device setup, so it must be an ADAT sync issue, but I don't know what else to try.

Here is an example (nothing on the ES-8 inputs, just noise and really compressed to make the clicks obvious):

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rtcnt/0004-1-2-audio-in/s-rkYxU[/s]

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Jack
os
Do you have two ADAT cables, connected both ways between the Pro 40 and the ES-8?
jackpf
Hey os, thanks for the speedy reply as ever smile

os wrote:
Do you have two ADAT cables, connected both ways between the Pro 40 and the ES-8?

I do indeed, I'm getting outputs and inputs all functioning correctly, apart from these audio artefacts.

One thing I noticed, it seems to be more prominent when there's more audio content. For example: [s]https://soundcloud.com/rtcnt/0004-1-2-audio-in-1/s-CCZVW[/s]
With the extra hat, the pops really become obvious.

Everything is fine when going directly into the Pro 40.[/s]
os
Not sure what to suggest.

Is it any different at 48kHz?

Can you let me know the ES-8 serial number?
jackpf
os wrote:
Is it any different at 48kHz?

Yep, it also happens at 48kHz.

os wrote:
Can you let me know the ES-8 serial number?

Here's the system information:

ES-8:

Product ID: 0x308d
Vendor ID: 0x20b1
Version: 1.10
Serial Number: EXSL-ES-8-1-0147
Speed: Up to 480Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Expert Sleepers Ltd
Location ID: 0x14110000 / 17
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Is it a possible hardware issue? I'm not sure what else to try either...
I am using some cheap optical cables, but wouldn't have thought that would be the problem?
os
Quite an old one then.

It would be worth trying some decent cables. If that doesn't help, maybe we can look at swapping your ES-8 & seeing if a newer one performs better in your setup.
jackpf
os wrote:
Quite an old one then.

It would be worth trying some decent cables. If that doesn't help, maybe we can look at swapping your ES-8 & seeing if a newer one performs better in your setup.

Yeah it's a few years old - did anything change hardware wise with more recent units? Is it possible that it could be something wrong with the Pro 40?

Also, what would be the costs involved in replacement/repair?

I will see if i can test with some different cables.

Cheers!
jackpf
As a workaround, I've gone back to using an aggregate device, but with the clock source set to ADAT coming from the Pro 40.
Everything seems to be nicely in sync, but it's a little upsetting I still have to use an aggregate device :(

Am I right in thinking clock source = ADAT on the ES-8 in an aggregate device should be more stable than both interfaces set to internal sync?

I guess if the ADAT clock is stable with the aggregate device, the problem must be with the signal going back into the Pro 40?
os
Quote:
Am I right in thinking clock source = ADAT on the ES-8 in an aggregate device should be more stable than both interfaces set to internal sync?

Should be.

Quote:
it's a little upsetting I still have to use an aggregate device

It does mean you have the option of fully expanding the ES-8 to increase your channel count.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1