Master List of Synth Mods

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

buildafriend
Learning to Wiggle

Master List of Synth Mods

Post by buildafriend » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:12 am

Hi all,

I’m trying to find or compile a master list of available synth mods. Does this exist or can we attempt to create and maintain it?

All the best,
- JP

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 am

If you add up the over 100,000 posts on muffwiggler.com you could say we have the biggest collection of information anywhere but it is also incomplete. Who gets to decide what is included or not included in the short version? Who will do all the work for free? The idea of modding a synth overlaps with designing, building, repairing a synth. It also overlaps with some proprietary information and some information found in text books. You are asking us to compile the internet. I don't think this is possible. However I did once ponder what it would take to document all existing synth circuits in one place. It was about 10 people full time forever till the end of time.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

buildafriend
Learning to Wiggle

Post by buildafriend » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:52 pm

Hey man, not really seeking your advice anymore because it’s a no can do attitude. Thanks for the response though! Nothing personal I just never asked anyone to compile the internet.

That said I bet if there was a portal designed for this people would have a blast sharing their mods! Perhaps some kind of look up table with comments sections? Ide donate to the design and web costs of such a thing.

Fixed typo. Look* not loom.
Last edited by buildafriend on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kevin Mitchell
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kevin Mitchell » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:59 pm

It may be a neat idea to create a sort of sub-forum where each brand and model can be discussed individually.

Not to rain on your parade but it does seem like a redundant scheme with google being a thing and all. But everything in one place is appealing.

-KM

buildafriend
Learning to Wiggle

Post by buildafriend » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:43 pm

Kevin Mitchell wrote:It may be a neat idea to create a sort of sub-forum where each brand and model can be discussed individually.

Not to rain on your parade but it does seem like a redundant scheme with google being a thing and all. But everything in one place is appealing.

-KM
Yeah you get the drift. Imagine you wanted to know the most popular mods for device X. Google and forums like this are the best way to find this currently as you stated but they aren’t as concise as this idea could be. Anyway, trying not to be redundant here ;)

Hope this idea can be inspiring! I’de throw a few things into it or edit a thread with links as they were given to me. It would be strictly about links to known working mods.

All the best,
:deadbanana:

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:10 pm

There's an awful lot of things that can be considered synths out there. Thousands. Just compiling that list would be a gargantuan task, and not to mention tedious. How do we define "synth"? Do we consider chord organs to be synths? What about the yamaha PSR line, not to mention all the casio keyboards? Do we list highly expensive, unobtanium synths like the ARP 2500's and such?

And each of those "synths" might have anywhere from a dozen to hundreds of potential mods. How much detail do we want to include?

And does circuit bending count as mods? Do we count the thousands of different individual synth modules into this madness?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but a wiki of this kind of scope would probably be way beyond the "labor of love" type of thing to be done with any kind of comprehensiveness, at least as currently presented. That being said, no, such a thing doesn't exist currently, but nothing stopping you from starting such a thing. Find some friendly wiki type site, start a page dedicated to this, create a few entries, and try to get other people interested and involved. I'm not sure there's much interest in such a thing, but I'm often wrong.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:21 am

If random people are posting information without getting paid then you have a website as accurate as Wikipedia. If it gets popular then it will need money. If you think this is a good idea then you can put your time into it. My advice to you would be to learn how synthesizers work %100 so that you can design them. A synth you designed and built yourself for yourself should not need any mods. If you are modding something all the time then you probably enjoy it because of your personality. There is no harm in that. You will learn a lot that way. That is how I learned. Part of the skill in modding is being able to find or guess the missing information needed to do the mod. Sometimes you can see pictures of a circuit bent keyboard but no tutorial. Try sending an email. Sometimes you meet nice people who love to help. This is more valuable than any website. The journey is worth more than getting it gift wrapped. Trust me.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Return to “Music Tech DIY”