MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mix & Monitor while Noodling
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Mix & Monitor while Noodling
Triscus
Hello all,

recently I got a 16 channel Audio Interface. So now I can use 5 channel from my Eurorack + 2 channels desktop synths and 8 channels from my Digitakt (via Overbridge Plugin) inside my DAW (Reaper)

My idea is to program diffent parts in the Digitakt, perform and record them in a single track / jam and cut / mix them afterwards.

I also read a lot about mixing and I always found that one precondition to mixing is, that the audio material is recorded and the composition is done before mixing.

As I am tracking through Reaper, I am wondering how much mixing can / should be done while recording / jamming. I know it's good, when it sounds good and everything can changed afterwards, but maybe someone more experienced has an advice or may share some insights in their workflow.
BenA718
The key is to get it right at the source. Then there's very little 'mixing' that you have to do at all. The mentality of 'fixing it later' is a very dangerous one.
cptnal
Also make sure you have decent monitors. The key is to be confident that what you hear when you're playing is exactly, or as near as you can get it, to what's going down on "tape". Then mixing becomes part of the performance rather than a chore you have to think about later.

I too find "I'll fix it in post" an instant turn-off.
acidbob
I mix and track though my DAW, with 28 inputs from RME UFX and 2x OCTA, usually my mixing happens while I am also doing the recording, well in the process of preparing the recording might be more true. After some practice this becomes the ideal situation for me, then I just save the recording template to work with it afterwards.
Just make sure never to record too low or too high, -6/-4dB Sounds good to me, you can adjust on the fly with some plugin utility, but also possible to fine tune afterwards. That is the beauty of computers.
Here is a track that has been mixed while producing/recording

Noise is from the mixer... But not much to do about it when its all out of the box sound-sources.
Technologear?
Triscus wrote:
... I am wondering how much mixing can / should be done while recording / jamming.

As much as you can, without it interfering with your recording performance.

So the more you prepare, the closer you get to your final mix during the recording. Eq, volume levels and panning, fx amounts and settings, compression - add all that to sample preparing, song arrangement, patch creation.

I recommend recording and listening back to your sounds as much as possible, to help learn the difference between 'how it sounds while I'm performing it' vs 'how it sounds played back from my computer'. Once you learn the differences, you anticipate them and fix them when you prepare your track.
Eg I find I always smash my kick drums too loud when performing, I'm teaching myself to turn them down and add hi pass filter at 35hz before I press record. This accounts for a number of issues, like my poorly treated room, my monitoring levels, my listening preferences, summing that occurs through my desk etc.
naturligfunktion
@BenA718 & cptnal I couldn't agree more. The better it sound when you record it, the better it will sound in the end.[/b]
Triscus
Thank you for your inputs, it seems I'm on the right track. (pun not intended)

BenA718 wrote:
The mentality of 'fixing it later' is a very dangerous one.

Not sure if it's dangerous but I think a good sounding instrument is an important part of having fun while performing and getting into the flow. (at least for me)

cptnal wrote:
Also make sure you have decent monitors.

Unfortunately I don't have any monitors as I don't have any space left in my music corner, so I am listening exclusively with Headphones (DT770), also room treatment isn't possible at the moment...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1