MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stacking mono circuits to control with single pots/ switches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Stacking mono circuits to control with single pots/ switches
Illiac
Hey, all. I’m trying to cobble together some boards to utilize stereo control. Namely the Intellijel pedal I/O 1u and/ or possibly some other kits. To save space, what I’d like to do is desolder them, stack the boards and fly the pots/ switches to both circuits for stereo control. My question is would I need to increase the pot value or add any additional components to make this work? I realize it’s likely dependent on the circuit, but just generally inquiring about such a mod.

Thanks in advance!
are you intending to share a single pot between the two boards, or use dual gang pots? same with the switches?
Illiac
Woah. I had no idea dual gang pots/ switches existed! Thank you for that. I could easily go with those, but would prefer to share single pots/ switches between boards, if possible
most analog stuff in the signal path needs a dual pot if youre going to keep the L/R seperate. for CVs you can sometimes share a pot, and for digital stuff you can sometimes share a pot.
authorless
The pots and switches are probably part of the signal path of the circuit, so you probably can't use a single pot for both circuits.
Illiac
Thanks, y'all. This totally answers my questions.
devinw1
Illiac wrote:
Woah. I had no idea dual gang pots/ switches existed! Thank you for that. I could easily go with those, but would prefer to share single pots/ switches between boards, if possible

For switches too, it is not so uncommon to find even more than 2 "gangs" (and positions), if that sort of thing is of use! For pots, dual gang is kind of the ceiling. 3+ Multi-gang pots do exist but they are in the specialty domain. Have fun!
Illiac
I’m striking out on google searching dual/ multi gang switches - just get light switch wiring harnesses, lol. Any links to them?
switches are listed by the number of "poles" and "throws". a 2 pole switch allows for 2 completely independent switches to get flipped with a single toggle. a 3 pole switch allows for 3 and so on. a 2 throw switch has 2 positions that create contacts, a 3 throw switch has 3 positions and so on. they are often abreviated as nPmT where n is the number of poles and m is the number of throws. single and double are listed as S and D or 1 and 2, but the rest just use numbers.

SPDT = 1P2T
DPDT = 2P2T
4P3T

so try searching with the abbreviation you need. also, digikey has a decent search function.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1