MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

my Pharmasonic SYS-700 build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author my Pharmasonic SYS-700 build
wendallsan
Hi all,

My build is coming along nicely! 14 of the 16 modules I've put together are working! It is kind of like seeing the Death Star getting built ... so much black!

artieTwelve
Any larger photos or more info on this? Google only shows Sys-100.
wendallsan
The PCB's and faceplates came from Pharmasonic.

I have a build blog up.
Modulart_JP
wendallsan wrote:
Hi all,

My build is coming along nicely! 14 of the 16 modules I've put together are working! It is kind of like seeing the Death Star getting built ... so much black!

Guinness ftw!
thumbs up
wendallsan
A quick update on this project:

I have built my 2 row, 126hp case to house this synth and all modules are complete calibrated. One of my VCO's has a bad range switch that will need to be replaced when I can order a new one, but in the meantime it works great except one of the range switch options doesn't work.

The two remaining gaps in the synth will be filled by a Hexinverter Mutant Brain MIDI-to-CV module and a spring reverb module. The 4MS SISM will also have a black faceplate soon. I decided that this was the module to use for this system, as the SYS-700 works in the 10V range while many of my other modules will only pump out a max of 5V. I also plan to swap out the Intellijel buffered multi for an all-black 2HP model.

My next plans for this case are some black Tolex, some black metal amp corner brackets, and some rubber feet on the bottom. The back is still open, but I also plan to install a back plate to keep things tidy and hide the magic. This is the 3rd 'box case' I've built and I feel like there is actually some slight craftsmanship going on now rather than complete woodshop bumbling. The rails are straight and the box joints are pretty clean. I was able to use a router to round the edges as well, which lends a nice touch. It has me eyeing my last attempt, which was a 3 row 84hp case, and thinking about building it again, but prettier this time, and slapping some Tolex on that as well.

sutekina bipu-on
very cool..... any quirks about the builds on these? i was just thinking about loading up a cart with sys-700 panels & boards twisted
wendallsan
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
very cool..... any quirks about the builds on these? i was just thinking about loading up a cart with sys-700 panels & boards twisted

Sadly, I can't compare this to any other projects, as this was essentially my first dive into DIY electronics and eurorack. Source the IC's from somewhere reputable-- either from Pharmasonic or your supplier of choice. I got a bunch of 3080's and LM301's off eBay and they were all bad. That alone set me back probably a full week. If this is not your first DIY project, you probably already know that ...

The boards are not too dense usually (there are a couple that seem pretty tight). There are a few surface mount bits on a couple of the boards, but they're not common. This was my fist stab at surface mounts and they all worked great without problems, so it was less difficult than I expected it to be. There are no schematics provided, but they are fairly similar to the original Roland System 700 designs, and people smart enough to read schematics (not me) have been able to use them to provide me with assistance on this project. There is apparently a voltage difference between the original and eurorack and some components have been replaced with modern bits, so the original schematics are not 100% accurate.

It sounds very Roland to me. I've just been feeding it with Mutable Marbles and using that as background music for my workdays. Can't wait to really dive into it here soon.

nanners nanners
wendallsan
Ah, and wiring the LFO's was a little wonky. The rotary switch on that was panel mounted and a bit of rainbow spaghetti. There were a couple other 16mm pots on a few of the boards which were a little tight to wire up. Otherwise, everything was PCB mounted which was fairly straightforward and all modules being either one or two board designs.
wendallsan
In action!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxUnrZctMU
ishi
Nice! Always good to hear DIY folk actually make some music.. SlayerBadger!
wendallsan
ishi wrote:
Nice! Always good to hear DIY folk actually make some music.. SlayerBadger!

It's hard to find the time to play between the builds!
ishi
Yeah, over here my carefully crafted music studio gradually transformed into an electronics lab where playing music is some new sort of adventure. Time to move to a bigger place.. It's peanut butter jelly time!
devinw1
Nice! What you using for the drums?
wendallsan
Got Tolex and corner brackets in place! Also a Music Thing Modular Spring Reverb, a black faceplate Mutant Brain, and a black faceplate for the 4MS SISM rounds out the modules.

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

thats looking really good!
wendallsan
guest wrote:
thats looking really good!

but its SOUNDING good thanks to all your help!

Many thanks again!

I've been enjoying playing it rather than building it! But of course have about 4 other DIY projects going or planned now. cool
devinw1
Very nice! Now it really looks like it begs to be patched up and plugged into a big amp! cool I
wendallsan
The case now has a back panel installed to keep the inner workings of the synth an absolute mystery to the uninitiated.

The cord coming out the back on the left is the connection to the spring reverb tank. I can push it into the case to 'store' it with relative ease. Saves me from having to take the back panel off to attach/remove the cables from the spring reverb module, which has some pretty flimsy connections to boot, so its probably best that I'm not constantly messing with them.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1