MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

iOS 13 WARNING
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author iOS 13 WARNING
Bignorthumbrian
I’ve just updated my iPhone to iOS 13.1 and now my Line6 Sonic Port doesn’t work, apparently its a known issue, not sure if it effects other audio interfaces.....thankfully it still works with my iPad mini 2
Panason
It will apparently mess up plugins installed on the Mac too. It's the price to pay for following Apple's accelerated hardware obsolescence scheme (aka OS updates).
rustedimac
Panason wrote:
It will apparently mess up plugins installed on the Mac too. It's the price to pay for following Apple's accelerated hardware obsolescence scheme (aka OS updates).

If you are serious about making music, you probably wouldn't install new OS updates immediately as they come out regardless of an OS.
sutekina bipu-on
Unless line6 dropped support for it, they'll update their drivers soon thumbs up
Licudi
iOS 13 deleted my music library. Fortunately, it was still on my MBP so could be re-exported.
dubonaire
rustedimac wrote:
Panason wrote:

If you are serious about making music, you probably wouldn't install new OS updates immediately as they come out regardless of an OS.

Yes I'm several OS behind on my music machine.

Panason you kids get off my lawn - planned obsolescence is something I learned about in high school 45 years ago so what's new? But honestly my Mac laptops have lasted way longer than any of my PC laptops lasted, and I've never had those weird slow downs, network fails or hard drive paging gymnastics I used to get on PC laptops which I was using at work even recently. Fortunately I can use a Mac at work now.

If we didn't have progress in ports and adaptors etc we'd still be uding serial and parallel ports. I seriously couldn't care less if I need to buy a USB-C adaptor, I used to spend a fortune on floppy disks that failed on a regular basis. Anyway...
Panason
Quote:
planned obsolescence is something I learned about in high school 45 years ago

That was a very advanced school you went to!

Anti -Apple rant from life-long Apple user follows:

What has really fucked me off with Apple is that they remove older OS versions from their servers so it becomes very hard to continue using old machines if you need to re-install the OS on a new hard drive etc- the only place to find the older OS installers is torrents.
My older Intel Core2Duo MBP still works fine (unlike my newer i7) and would be suitable for any number of tasks but in order to keep it going past a hard drive failure I have to make sure I keep the OS installer backed up...because the machine is "legacy" and "not supported".. as if it would hurt them to keep a 4GB installer file available on their server.
And of course not keeping up with the Apple yearly update means you cannot use a whole bunch of apps that would work just fine on your machine. Often the developers follow Apple's "support " policy and remove previous versions from their site...

And... A Mac is faster when running Windows (not via VM but natively) than its own OS. waah waah

They went from being the obvious choice for independent creatives to being this hostile corporate machine that only cares about selling phones and tablets for people to "consume media" fap fap fap... and their "pro" laptops became these flimsy underpowered, overheating bling machines for Instagram bunnies.

They are working hard to surpass Microsoft in being assholes to anyone who want computing to be open and platform-agnostic.

But what REALLY makes me despair is people still blindly installing Apple updates....there is a widespread assumption that updates are good and will make any machine better, in the face of a ton of evidence to the contrary...and Apple's standard "support " response to any issue is "install the latest update".

Apple also need major regulation to stop them from selling devices with no user replaceable batteries. Their contribution to toxic waste in landfills is astronomical. But of course the US is the home of the mega-corps so they do pretty much as they please.

And no this isn't old man ranting against technological "progress" because I don't see much progress there, just short-sighted greed.

Now their machines have a "security chip" installed so that new OSs will not work with Hackintosh systems.. the security is for them, not for us.
dubonaire
Panason wrote:
Quote:

Nup.

"In the United States, automotive design reached a turning point in 1924 when the American national automobile market began reaching saturation. To maintain unit sales, General Motors head Alfred P. Sloan Jr. suggested annual model-year design changes to convince car owners that they needed to buy a new replacement each year, an idea borrowed from the bicycle industry, though the concept is often misattributed to Sloan. Critics called his strategy "planned obsolescence". Sloan preferred the term "dynamic obsolescence"."

Read further:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence#History_and_origins _of_the_phrase

It's everywhere you look, not just the exclusive domain of Apple. Your cynicism is not unjustifed but somewhat naive young fella.
Panason
Quote:
an idea borrowed from the bicycle industry, though the concept is often misattributed to Sloan
Quote:
an idea borrowed from the bicycle industry, though the concept is often misattributed to Satan

That's how I read this! hihi

Some recent examples of people failing to block Apple (from GS thread on "Mojave"):

Quote:

Irony is that today after macOS 10.14.6 supplementary update my MOTU 828es is no longer recognizable by the OS. MOTU Discovery cannot detect it. I tried clean reinstall of the MOTU AVB drivers etc., but to no avail. I created a ticket with MOTU support, but at the moment the interface is unusable!

Quote:
I forgot to turn off auto-update and got screwed.

Mojave 10.14.6 won't even see my fw 8pres. Previous OS would see it and let me use them, not my other MOTU 896mk3 FW hybrid.

Now I can't use my old 8pres/896mk3 FW interfaces nor my monitor speakers.

there's a lot of this online and it makes me facepalm every time - why do people blindly update?? :
dubonaire
oh whatever. have another vape.
Blairio
dubonaire wrote:
Panason wrote:
Quote:

Nup.

"In the United States, automotive design reached a turning point in 1924 when the American national automobile market began reaching saturation. To maintain unit sales, General Motors head Alfred P. Sloan Jr. suggested annual model-year design changes to convince car owners that they needed to buy a new replacement each year, an idea borrowed from the bicycle industry, though the concept is often misattributed to Sloan. Critics called his strategy "planned obsolescence". Sloan preferred the term "dynamic obsolescence"."

Read further:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence#History_and_origins _of_the_phrase

It's everywhere you look, not just the exclusive domain of Apple. Your cynicism is not unjustifed but somewhat naive young fella.

Indeed. If goods lasted for ever, there would be no need to replace stuff, and manufacturing would gradually grind to a halt. The 1961 Ealing Comedy 'The Man In The White Suit' played with this idea - a chemist who came up with a fabric that appeared initially to be indestructible. Rather than praising him, his employers (a textile concern) sought to bury his invention, as they saw in it the death of their industry.

Most products are designed around an MTTF: mean time to failure. MTBF (mean time between failures) is another thing altogether.
nectarios
Yeah, don't update before making sure things will work. As already mentioned, people that depend on their stuff working, don't have auto updates on, or even wait long enough until there is the "all clear" kinda message, from various reports on line.

I have mixed feelings about Apple products. I have an early 2011 MBP i7, here that has had 3 fried logic boards. The first lasted 3 years, the second one 3 months and the third one lasted 4 months. Then I was told that I am out of logic boards and I have an i7 MBP as a doorstop.

I managed to get an old 2008 3,1 MacPro from Apple bank for 500€, maxed out that has been a work horse.

Next laptop is definitely going to be a PC. Since both Apple and PC are unreliable, I might as well not spend a fortune.
Blairio
I have run apple computers since '86, never had a hardware failure. They are good for 7-8 years before they become too far off the pace for macos version and the sequencing or DAW software I use, then they are repurposed and passed on for someone else to use.

That said, my computers have all been desktop variants. I am on my 3rd macmini, which I think is a macbook squeezed into a small box. It was bought in 2014 and is doing just fine.
CF3
Running the new iPadOS 13.1 with little to no issues. Except maybe some general OS bugs. A few apps are a bit little squirrely, but that will probably get handled in time with an update from the individual devs.

Now, my studio desktop is YEARS behind OS wise. No way in hell I update that until I’m forced to like I was when I they had to drag me kicking and screaming from OSX 10.6.8. cry I will say though, the new Sidecar feature has me thinking about it. A wireless, portable touchscreen I can just wander around the studio with is intriguing.
Blairio
I was badly bitten with the move to El Capitan. Overnight my Edirol UA25 interface, Focusrite VRM box and HP printer became paperweights / doorstops. I moved back the the previous O/S version the next day, somewhat chastened.
EPTC
I have a 32-bit ipad that I keep for all the really good music software that no longer works on crappy newer ipads. And I have a laptop with no wifi enabled with other midi software that doesn't work now on OS10.

It's totally stupid that my operating software can't be physically set to prefer 64 or 32-bit permanently, or even optionally on a switch. Hardware is now controlled by restrictions from the software and it's very myopic and dumb.

People developing OS code often don't see anything wrong, as they're solely focused on improvements of the OS itself and not what will use the software.

I'd love a simple OS that only upgrades for security improvements and that's it.

But it's Friday and I'm in a good mood. Fun to rant though. razz
cornutt
Panason wrote:
[

Apple also need major regulation to stop them from selling devices with no user replaceable batteries. Their contribution to toxic waste in landfills is astronomical. But of course the US is the home of the mega-corps so they do pretty much as they please.

They aren't the only ones. My most recent Dell laptops have no access panels for battery, disk, memory or anything else. I installed more memory in my laptop and my wife's, and it involved major disassembly (52,794 little black screws) for both of them. On my wife's, there was a teensy weensy pressed-in grounding bushing for the screen that fell out when I opened the case; there is no way to reassemble it and it hasn't worked right since. All so that Dell could save $2 per unit on case moldings. It's all Chinese-made crap anyway.
Panason
The Mac Mini is/was the best Apple option for a small home studio IMO but not sure how the more recent models are. My 2012 model which i use only for music is great but running at 64 sample buffer size (essential to me) puts a rather low limit to how many plugins I can pile on... which is probably a good thing at this point. The best thing is that the fan does not buzz or hum, it's just like white noise and very quiet. It's staying at 10.12 forever and always offline.

I will keep that for as long as Windows is inferior for MIDI. If I ever get a Cirklon it will take over the MIDI side of things and if it works out I'll just use the DAW for recording and FX - in which case I'd move to Windows immediately and use a USAMO to sync the Cirklon with the DAW.

My next laptop for online and other work is not going to be Apple, that's for sure. Linux for web browsing is the way to go I think.
nostalghia
Panason wrote:
What has really fucked me off with Apple is that they remove older OS versions from their servers so it becomes very hard to continue using old machines if you need to re-install the OS on a new hard drive etc- the only place to find the older OS installers is torrents.

While I totally agree that Apple updates the Mac OS much more frequently than I would like, and am also quite pissed off that they don't keep downloads of older versions available through the App Store where it would be convenient, it's not true that "the only place to find the older OS installers is torrents". They can be found in the Support section of the Apple site with a bit of searching.

For example, google "mac sierra download" (this is OS 10.12.6, released back in 2016-latest OS is "Catalina").
Second result down is a link to this page: https://support.apple.com/downloads/sierra, from which you can access the download page for Sierra (latest version only ("delta update"), or "combo update" which contains all changes since original release so you can use it to update from an installed earlier version of Sierra to the last version)-many find it's best to use the most recent "combo update" file.
realtrance
I agree. If I ever have to replace a PC, it's going to be the cheapest junk possible.

The new systems are hugely overpriced and use most of their processing power to run adware, the new bloatware, and.....security.

Best to stick to real instruments to make music.
Bignorthumbrian
Just installed iOS 13.1.1, still not working, Line6 must be bricking it
SingIt
Panason wrote:
The Mac Mini is/was the best Apple option for a small home studio IMO but not sure how the more recent models are. My 2012 model which i use only for music is great but running at 64 sample buffer size (essential to me) puts a rather low limit to how many plugins I can pile on... which is probably a good thing at this point. The best thing is that the fan does not buzz or hum, it's just like white noise and very quiet. It's staying at 10.12 forever and always offline.

I will keep that for as long as Windows is inferior for MIDI. If I ever get a Cirklon it will take over the MIDI side of things and if it works out I'll just use the DAW for recording and FX - in which case I'd move to Windows immediately and use a USAMO to sync the Cirklon with the DAW.

My next laptop for online and other work is not going to be Apple, that's for sure. Linux for web browsing is the way to go I think.

I did USAMO and Cirklon with Windows and it sucked. Very frustrating Sync box for me in both Bitwig and Ableton. Some people will swear by it, but it's hit or miss. I went ERM with Bitwig and it was much, much better, but once you lay down audio in the DAW and want it to sync with the Cirklon, there is a 4 beat sync up count in that gets rather annoying.

I literally did exactly what you want to do - all MIDI in Cirklon and audio and FX in DAW. Fun way to work, but also pretty limiting in some ways. I work a lot faster in Reason, and the sequencer rack extensions are pretty deep.

Best reason to have a Cirklon - you will become a wizard at sequencing. It will make you into one. Second reason is you can stare at a tiny screen instead of your computer monitor..lol.

At the end of the day, I play too many keyboard parts myself to deal with editing takes in the Cirklon. That’s a pretty painful part of doing all MIDI in it. It’s simply a lot faster to edit MIDI in the DAW, at least for me.
Bignorthumbrian
Downgraded my iPhone SE to iOS 12 and my Sonic Port works again, hurrah. So I guess I’ll keep the SE for recording and my XS for all the other phone type stuff.
h4ndcrafted
Blairio wrote:
I have run apple computers since '86, never had a hardware failure. They are good for 7-8 years before they become too far off the pace for macos version and the sequencing or DAW software I use, then they are repurposed and passed on for someone else to use.

That said, my computers have all been desktop variants. I am on my 3rd macmini, which I think is a macbook squeezed into a small box. It was bought in 2014 and is doing just fine.

This, desktop macs do 8 years just fine.
Can’t say ios 13 has caused me any issues, and I have quite a lot of audio apps now.

There is a bit of lag with iOS 13 on my iPad 5 though. Freezes in apps every now and then. Faster generally though.
Neo
Just got the latest ipad and almost all of my music apps have already been updated for the latest OS and seem to be working fine... including Rebirth SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2