MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Grandmother Problem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Moog Grandmother Problem
herbebe
Hey Wigglers,

my moog grandmother seems to be having problems. When I turned it on today, I could not get any sound of it.

I then discovered that only in drone mode I would get audible, normal sound.

When I turned it all the way up, I could barely hear a signal in the other envelope modes but then figured out that the envelope wasn't applied. No matter what I did with the envelope knobs - it did not effect the sound even in ENV mode.

Could the Envelope module being faulty be the reason for this?

Thanks in advance,

Julian
Blairio
Open the filter at least 50%
Set the VCA mode to envelope
Set the VCO outputs in the mixer to 50%
Set the LFO to a saw wave and the speed to about 25%
Patch the LFO wave out to the envelope trigger in
Set the envelope attack to 0%, sustain to 0%, decay to 25% and release to 50%

You should get a pulsing drone. That shows the envelope generator is working ok, especially if the shape of the pulse varies as you alter the envelope settings.

Does your GM behave perfectly if you trigger it from another keyboard? (remember to set the midi channel on both to the same channel). If it does then that suggests the keyboard or the keyboard connection may be the issue within your GM.

Some early GM customers reported that connections within their GM were loose on delivery, and needed to be firmly plugged back in. Perhaps that is the case with your keyboard. Best to get a tech to check for you if you are not happy dismantling it yourself.

Good luck.
rowsbywoof
If it's still relatively new (and I think most GMs are) give Moog a call or shoot them an email. They may have some things for you to try before seeking a repair/return. The Grand Mother is a relatively new synth... I'm sure Moog is still handling repairs of these without too much trouble. Even if it's just, as Blairio says, that you need to check your connections.
herbebe
Thanks so much for your replies.

@Blairio:
I did what you told me and it worked.
What is even weirder - after I unpatched the cable I was able to play the synth normally.

Did I change the knobs in a way that I didn't get any sound? What happened there?

Triggering from another keyboard via MIDI also works perfectly.
kinkujin
Gosh I want the GrandMother. How do you like it?
herbebe
@kinkujin: Finally someone asks so that I can describe in how I perceive it. I have the feeling that there is no description on the internet that matches my impression of the synth grin

I love it, but it is a complex relationship.

Sound:
So - it has a very specific sound. I have the feeling no matter what my input is, it still sounds very grandmotheresque. This also means that in my opinion, you can't really use it as an adaptive sound or a tool within a song. The sound profile seems very limited, but in a good way. A guitar sounds like a guitar - a grandmother like a grandmother.
It is very present in a song, a ton of low end. I mean you can highpass it, yeah. Still very present.

I actually doubt the synth everytime before I use it and am sometimes reluctant to do so:

1. I feel like it is hard to get a sound out of it that I want to use, because it is so special

2. I think that I don't like the sound profile as much. I feel like I can't get a bassline out of it that I would like, nor a lead sound, nor a pad.

But I am always wrong.
I am impressed by this synth everytime I use it. I get new sounds out of it every week, but it still sounds like the grandmother. (and I am able to incorporate it into my tracks). I produce techno and house music and this synth sounds like an electric guitar Rockin' Banana! . So not the typical instrument for this kind of music.

The rest: Very sturdy, looks great (not too colorful for my taste), lots of room for creativity, lots of character.

I think it's a special kind of synth. I like it.

Back to topic:
Is it broken? Miley Cyrus
Blairio
I don't think your synth is broken. There are combinations of envelope generator settings that can result in a sound being very slow to trigger or retrigger from the keyboard. The settings I gave you should trigger reliably.

I suggest you keep using and enjoying your synth, and if the problem comes back, note how all the controls are set and post here again.

Alternatively, if you are close to the shop you bought the synth from, ask them to thoroughly test it for you. Your synth will be under warranty, so any issues are for the shop to solve.

Blair edit: if you find the synth stops behaving again, the first thing I suggest is to set the envelope attack to 0 (fully anticlockwise), and try the keyboard again.
Xmit
^
I've had pretty much the exact same issue with my GM, once. I think I'd just some patched some sort of setting where I coudn't get a sqeak out of it. Oddly, even after unpatching & setting most controls back to pretty 'standard' it still wouldn't make a noise. The cliche of switching it off & back on again
actually did the trick - and I've not had this issue since....
kinkujin
herbebe wrote:
@kinkujin: Finally someone asks so that I can describe in how I perceive it. I have the feeling that there is no description on the internet that matches my impression of the synth grin

I love it, but it is a complex relationship.

Sound:
So - it has a very specific sound. I have the feeling no matter what my input is, it still sounds very grandmotheresque. This also means that in my opinion, you can't really use it as an adaptive sound or a tool within a song. The sound profile seems very limited, but in a good way. A guitar sounds like a guitar - a grandmother like a grandmother.
It is very present in a song, a ton of low end. I mean you can highpass it, yeah. Still very present.

I actually doubt the synth everytime before I use it and am sometimes reluctant to do so:

1. I feel like it is hard to get a sound out of it that I want to use, because it is so special

2. I think that I don't like the sound profile as much. I feel like I can't get a bassline out of it that I would like, nor a lead sound, nor a pad.

But I am always wrong.
I am impressed by this synth everytime I use it. I get new sounds out of it every week, but it still sounds like the grandmother. (and I am able to incorporate it into my tracks). I produce techno and house music and this synth sounds like an electric guitar Rockin' Banana! . So not the typical instrument for this kind of music.

The rest: Very sturdy, looks great (not too colorful for my taste), lots of room for creativity, lots of character.

I think it's a special kind of synth. I like it.

Back to topic:
Is it broken? Miley Cyrus

Thanks for this! I always like to get the user's impression in addition to reviews that you see online. I appreciate your opinions. This has all served to make me want it all the more.

Hope you're having success now and enjoying yourself. Cheers.
herbebe
Thanks guys!

@Xmit: That helps me. Because I think that I would know if I have had envelope settings that would hinder me in getting normal sounds out of it.
I didn't have problems since either.

@kinkujin: my pleasure. It's great to share my view of this wonderful synth.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1