new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
Xmit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 702
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:40 pm

new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths

Post by Xmit » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:38 am

SYNTRX

Image[/img]

User avatar
Jason Brock
just visiting
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:59 am

Image

User avatar
Cedrik Ha
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:43 am
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Post by Cedrik Ha » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:06 am

Interesting. Wonder how fast the overall workflow on that digital matrix will be it looks like that the position of dots will be set via the horizontal and vertical potentiometer. But being able to save presets is a good thing I guess.

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Post by cnicht » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:08 am

Very nice but way above my pay grade! :deadbanana:

kinkujin
Common Wiggler
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm
Location: USA

Post by kinkujin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:40 am

from the website -
"SYNTRX [sintrex] is developed from scratch all analogue synthesizer (no part of schematics is cloned from Synthi AKS) with digitally controlled patch matrix. Unlike most of patch matrixes around, that mechanically connect signals, our 16x16 matrix utilizes 32 (!!!) 8 channel analogue switch ICs AS16M1 (made in Latvia, Alfa RPAR) and is a mixer/buffered multiple with 3 level attenuation (gain 1, 0,6 and 0,3) in connection points. It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "

So instead of the mechanical pins, do you manipulate the matrix with the two knobs??

About 2700 usd. I would love this but that is a pipe dream.

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Post by cnicht » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:52 am

I think you select the matrix cross point with the two encoders(?) and maybe click on their knobs to select on/off and the attenuation level?

There seems to be patch matrix memory recall but I wonder if other knob functions are remembered too?

jupiter8
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:53 pm

Post by jupiter8 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:29 am

It's the month of not-Synthi clones.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 am

Beautiful!!

The patch saving aspect is great, but yes I hope it saves all knob positions!
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Post by cnicht » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:58 am

Looking at the data sheets for the multiplexers used in the matrix they seem designed for this synth and have proper buffering recommended.

Of course this precision and performance could detract from some of the interesting quirks of the original design! :despair:

User avatar
blw
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Post by blw » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:27 am

cnicht wrote:Of course this precision and performance could detract from some of the interesting quirks of the original design! :despair:
Yes, probably, but look who's building it! I bet it will have some mojo. I like the the design of the matrix with Etch-a-Sketch knobs and attenuation settings. I could see that feeling as easy or easier to use than fumbling with pins on a tight matrix. Randomly jabbing through matrix presets could be fun.

The price looks great, too. I have a Synthi already, but I'll be pretty interested to learn more. Seems like some form 'KS' playability might push this over the top in terms of being a more usable portable package, but I'll be interested nonetheless.

User avatar
cnicht
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 743
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:23 am

Post by cnicht » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:09 am

blw wrote:
cnicht wrote:Of course this precision and performance could detract from some of the interesting quirks of the original design! :despair:
Yes, probably, but look who's building it! I bet it will have some mojo. I like the the design of the matrix with Etch-a-Sketch knobs and attenuation settings. I could see that feeling as easy or easier to use than fumbling with pins on a tight matrix. Randomly jabbing through matrix presets could be fun.

The price looks great, too. I have a Synthi already, but I'll be pretty interested to learn more. Seems like some form 'KS' playability might push this over the top in terms of being a more usable portable package, but I'll be interested nonetheless.
Good to know you have an original - I’m in the process of building my take on one but not going into production.

It’ll be interesting to see what another company comes up with! :banana:

User avatar
papz
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3332
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm
Location: in a suitcase
Contact:

Post by papz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:11 am

The Synthi A and VCS3 already offer patch matrix memory thanks to the prestopatch.

With this digital matrix one can't play with the matrix pushing and pulling pins, which is a big part of the Synthi fun and versatility.
Finest EMS gear service and Music Easel/208 goodies

I'm not a synths dealer and I'm not aware of an inexpensive Synthi secret market, please don't ask me if I know one for sale.
I don't offer support of any kind to people attempting to build clones of EMS equipment.

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1126
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: North'ish London, UK

Post by Luap » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 am

It looks very cool indeed. And looks like how I imagined a new/updated EMS synthi to look. But.. If it has no EMS inspired circuits, then it isn't going to sound much like one, is it? (I have the same opinion of the Analogue solutions Colossus too). I certainly look forward to hearing some demos though.

I wish EMS themselves were upping their game and doing this, but I guess its a sign of the times in Synth world at least..

User avatar
ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design
Posts: 6655
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:23 am

cnicht wrote:I think you select the matrix cross point with the two encoders(?) and maybe click on their knobs to select on/off and the attenuation level?

There seems to be patch matrix memory recall but I wonder if other knob functions are remembered too?
It is extremely unlikely the knob positions are remembered in the patch too. There is no feedback for remembered positions (like LED rings or even "above or below" LEDs) and it would be more like the original Presto-Patch setup on the original Synthi's where connections were remembered and rudimentary levels done with resistor changes. At least on this one you can program in 3 levels at the matrix.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:04 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
cnicht wrote:I think you select the matrix cross point with the two encoders(?) and maybe click on their knobs to select on/off and the attenuation level?

There seems to be patch matrix memory recall but I wonder if other knob functions are remembered too?
It is extremely unlikely the knob positions are remembered in the patch too. There is no feedback for remembered positions (like LED rings or even "above or below" LEDs) and it would be more like the original Presto-Patch setup on the original Synthi's where connections were remembered and rudimentary levels done with resistor changes. At least on this one you can program in 3 levels at the matrix.
Yes, I asked Erica Synths and they confirmed no knob memory.
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

User avatar
blw
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Post by blw » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:39 pm

papz wrote:The Synthi A and VCS3 already offer patch matrix memory thanks to the prestopatch.

With this digital matrix one can't play with the matrix pushing and pulling pins, which is a big part of the Synthi fun and versatility.
Yes, but 'different' can bring its own benefits. And the 'one negative of the pin matrix is that sometimes my pins can slide apart and have continuity issues. Nothing more frustrating than troubleshooting a bad pin during a show.

Sir Ruff wrote:Yes, I asked Erica Synths and they confirmed no knob memory.
I think this is positive. Having encoders and not knowing their values takes me out of a patch really quickly. And the partial patch memory can have good effects. Scrolling or sequencing through 200e presets with the cables in different positions is pretty cool. And setting up a few different routing settings with common knob settings can still be really useful for creating a handful of performance patches.

The patch matrix would also make a really nice module release.
Last edited by blw on Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1956
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:42 pm

blw wrote:I think this is positive. Having encoders and not knowing their values takes me out of a patch really quickly. And the partial patch memory can have good effects. Scrolling or sequencing through 200e presets with the cables in different positions is pretty cool. And setting up a few different routing settings with common knob settings can still be really useful for creating a handful of performance patches.
yeah, I think there will be a fun "chance" factor that you would lose with everything saved (maybe getting back a little bit of the chaotic Synthi nature).
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

User avatar
EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 am
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by EPTC » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:45 pm

papz wrote:With this digital matrix one can't play with the matrix pushing and pulling pins, which is a big part of the Synthi fun and versatility.
Good point. Maybe they could make a utility aid that gives a physical patch matrix for users wanting that specific UI.
Last edited by EPTC on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandcamp | Website

This week's show is a history of Telephone Voting Machines of the 1980s:


Panason
is banned
is banned
Posts: 3324
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Panason » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:49 pm

It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "
surely this is no true analog and will have stepping and digital cancer! :twisted:

More seriously, if they did add high resolution digital control and total recall for all the knobs and switches, and used endless encoders with LED rings would it really hurt ?

RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Common Wiggler
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:33 am
Location: New Rochelle, NY

Post by RUMPLEDFORESKIN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:48 pm

Very cool, but not for that price.

User avatar
Figures
Common Wiggler
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:56 am
Location: UK

Post by Figures » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm

RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:Very cool, but not for that price.
Agreed. Like it a lot in looks and concept, hopefully sound.

But 2.5k for a mono is a lot.

Especially when you can get synth like craftsynth 2.0 from modal that cost 120, and are really amazing sounding and feature rich.

Yes I know not the same.

But proportionally it's very odd how the price points are worked out if you know a little about manufacturing anything today.

User avatar
blw
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Post by blw » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:11 pm

Figures wrote: But 2.5k for a mono is a lot.

Especially when you can get synth like craftsynth 2.0 from modal that cost 120, and are really amazing sounding and feature rich.
I looked up a demo of the Craftsynth 2.0. If you are looking at two things that happen to produce sound and saying that one costs more than the other, ok, but it seems like the comparison ends there.

User avatar
tobb
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:41 am

Post by tobb » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:24 pm

maybe its time for something like this (read non-EMS related circuitry) but same look/module features, Diy ,panel + pcb $100 or so.

User avatar
Girts23
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 379
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 2:22 am

Post by Girts23 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:00 am

Panason wrote:
It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "
surely this is no true analog and will have stepping and digital cancer! :twisted:

More seriously, if they did add high resolution digital control and total recall for all the knobs and switches, and used endless encoders with LED rings would it really hurt ?
Hi, guys! Thank you for comments! The matrix itself is analogue mixer/buffered multiple with 3 attenuation levels (there are more attenuation level possible by combining resistors, but that will make the UI very tangled) on each connection, and it has digital control over switches. So, it can store Input/Output levels of audio and modulation circuits at certain precision, if you simply leave level pots on the instrument to the max. But we did not want to scan controls for positions or implement endless encoders, 'cause that instantly kills experimental nature of the synth.

Image

User avatar
tongebirge
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 am
Contact:

Post by tongebirge » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:58 am

I would like to hear it :tu:

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”