MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author new Synthi inspired machine coming from Erica Synths
Xmit
SYNTRX

[img][/img]
Jason Brock
Cedrik Ha
Interesting. Wonder how fast the overall workflow on that digital matrix will be it looks like that the position of dots will be set via the horizontal and vertical potentiometer. But being able to save presets is a good thing I guess.
cnicht
Very nice but way above my pay grade! Dead Banana
kinkujin
from the website -
"SYNTRX [sintrex] is developed from scratch all analogue synthesizer (no part of schematics is cloned from Synthi AKS) with digitally controlled patch matrix. Unlike most of patch matrixes around, that mechanically connect signals, our 16x16 matrix utilizes 32 (!!!) 8 channel analogue switch ICs AS16M1 (made in Latvia, Alfa RPAR) and is a mixer/buffered multiple with 3 level attenuation (gain 1, 0,6 and 0,3) in connection points. It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "

So instead of the mechanical pins, do you manipulate the matrix with the two knobs??

About 2700 usd. I would love this but that is a pipe dream.
cnicht
I think you select the matrix cross point with the two encoders(?) and maybe click on their knobs to select on/off and the attenuation level?

There seems to be patch matrix memory recall but I wonder if other knob functions are remembered too?
jupiter8
It's the month of not-Synthi clones.
Sir Ruff
Beautiful!!

The patch saving aspect is great, but yes I hope it saves all knob positions!
cnicht
Looking at the data sheets for the multiplexers used in the matrix they seem designed for this synth and have proper buffering recommended.

Of course this precision and performance could detract from some of the interesting quirks of the original design! seriously, i just don't get it
blw
cnicht wrote:
Of course this precision and performance could detract from some of the interesting quirks of the original design! seriously, i just don't get it

Yes, probably, but look who's building it! I bet it will have some mojo. I like the the design of the matrix with Etch-a-Sketch knobs and attenuation settings. I could see that feeling as easy or easier to use than fumbling with pins on a tight matrix. Randomly jabbing through matrix presets could be fun.

The price looks great, too. I have a Synthi already, but I'll be pretty interested to learn more. Seems like some form 'KS' playability might push this over the top in terms of being a more usable portable package, but I'll be interested nonetheless.
cnicht
blw wrote:
cnicht wrote:

Yes, probably, but look who's building it! I bet it will have some mojo. I like the the design of the matrix with Etch-a-Sketch knobs and attenuation settings. I could see that feeling as easy or easier to use than fumbling with pins on a tight matrix. Randomly jabbing through matrix presets could be fun.

The price looks great, too. I have a Synthi already, but I'll be pretty interested to learn more. Seems like some form 'KS' playability might push this over the top in terms of being a more usable portable package, but I'll be interested nonetheless.

Good to know you have an original - I’m in the process of building my take on one but not going into production.

It’ll be interesting to see what another company comes up with! It's peanut butter jelly time!
papz
The Synthi A and VCS3 already offer patch matrix memory thanks to the prestopatch.

With this digital matrix one can't play with the matrix pushing and pulling pins, which is a big part of the Synthi fun and versatility.
Luap
It looks very cool indeed. And looks like how I imagined a new/updated EMS synthi to look. But.. If it has no EMS inspired circuits, then it isn't going to sound much like one, is it? (I have the same opinion of the Analogue solutions Colossus too). I certainly look forward to hearing some demos though.

I wish EMS themselves were upping their game and doing this, but I guess its a sign of the times in Synth world at least..
ersatzplanet
cnicht wrote:
I think you select the matrix cross point with the two encoders(?) and maybe click on their knobs to select on/off and the attenuation level?

There seems to be patch matrix memory recall but I wonder if other knob functions are remembered too?

It is extremely unlikely the knob positions are remembered in the patch too. There is no feedback for remembered positions (like LED rings or even "above or below" LEDs) and it would be more like the original Presto-Patch setup on the original Synthi's where connections were remembered and rudimentary levels done with resistor changes. At least on this one you can program in 3 levels at the matrix.
Sir Ruff
ersatzplanet wrote:
cnicht wrote:

It is extremely unlikely the knob positions are remembered in the patch too. There is no feedback for remembered positions (like LED rings or even "above or below" LEDs) and it would be more like the original Presto-Patch setup on the original Synthi's where connections were remembered and rudimentary levels done with resistor changes. At least on this one you can program in 3 levels at the matrix.

Yes, I asked Erica Synths and they confirmed no knob memory.
blw
papz wrote:
The Synthi A and VCS3 already offer patch matrix memory thanks to the prestopatch.

With this digital matrix one can't play with the matrix pushing and pulling pins, which is a big part of the Synthi fun and versatility.

Yes, but 'different' can bring its own benefits. And the 'one negative of the pin matrix is that sometimes my pins can slide apart and have continuity issues. Nothing more frustrating than troubleshooting a bad pin during a show.

Sir Ruff wrote:
Yes, I asked Erica Synths and they confirmed no knob memory.

I think this is positive. Having encoders and not knowing their values takes me out of a patch really quickly. And the partial patch memory can have good effects. Scrolling or sequencing through 200e presets with the cables in different positions is pretty cool. And setting up a few different routing settings with common knob settings can still be really useful for creating a handful of performance patches.

The patch matrix would also make a really nice module release.
Sir Ruff
blw wrote:
I think this is positive. Having encoders and not knowing their values takes me out of a patch really quickly. And the partial patch memory can have good effects. Scrolling or sequencing through 200e presets with the cables in different positions is pretty cool. And setting up a few different routing settings with common knob settings can still be really useful for creating a handful of performance patches.

yeah, I think there will be a fun "chance" factor that you would lose with everything saved (maybe getting back a little bit of the chaotic Synthi nature).
EPTC
papz wrote:

Good point. Maybe they could make a utility aid that gives a physical patch matrix for users wanting that specific UI.
Panason
Quote:
It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "

surely this is no true analog and will have stepping and digital cancer! twisted

More seriously, if they did add high resolution digital control and total recall for all the knobs and switches, and used endless encoders with LED rings would it really hurt ?
RUMPLEDFORESKIN
Very cool, but not for that price.
Figures
RUMPLEDFORESKIN wrote:
Very cool, but not for that price.

Agreed. Like it a lot in looks and concept, hopefully sound.

But 2.5k for a mono is a lot.

Especially when you can get synth like craftsynth 2.0 from modal that cost 120, and are really amazing sounding and feature rich.

Yes I know not the same.

But proportionally it's very odd how the price points are worked out if you know a little about manufacturing anything today.
blw
Figures wrote:

But 2.5k for a mono is a lot.

Especially when you can get synth like craftsynth 2.0 from modal that cost 120, and are really amazing sounding and feature rich.

I looked up a demo of the Craftsynth 2.0. If you are looking at two things that happen to produce sound and saying that one costs more than the other, ok, but it seems like the comparison ends there.
tobb
maybe its time for something like this (read non-EMS related circuitry) but same look/module features, Diy ,panel + pcb $100 or so.
Girts23
Panason wrote:
Quote:
It has 256 patch memory, automatic patch switching in performance mode or via MIDI messages. "

surely this is no true analog and will have stepping and digital cancer! twisted

More seriously, if they did add high resolution digital control and total recall for all the knobs and switches, and used endless encoders with LED rings would it really hurt ?

Hi, guys! Thank you for comments! The matrix itself is analogue mixer/buffered multiple with 3 attenuation levels (there are more attenuation level possible by combining resistors, but that will make the UI very tangled) on each connection, and it has digital control over switches. So, it can store Input/Output levels of audio and modulation circuits at certain precision, if you simply leave level pots on the instrument to the max. But we did not want to scan controls for positions or implement endless encoders, 'cause that instantly kills experimental nature of the synth.

tongebirge
I would like to hear it thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2