long drone

A place to post links to your music, upload tracks and promote yourself.

Moderators: ignatius, Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

sandyb

long drone

Post by sandyb » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:17 pm

i've been getting into longer form drones. here's one based on a patch i made a while ago. it's 34 minutes long, starts pretty quietly. and, yes, i've been listening to too much eliane radigue :)

http://share.ovi.com/media/sandyb.public/sandyb.10029

sandy

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:07 pm

Your drones are always bad-ass. Gonna listen to this one whilst cookin' dinner!

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:19 am

I love Eliane Radigue and this drone is great! Very relaxing, too. I imagine you had to blink your eyes a few times or similar after you finished recording this.

I'm inspired and encouraged to try some longer format drones, now...

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:24 pm

cebec wrote:I love Eliane Radigue and this drone is great! Very relaxing, too. I imagine you had to blink your eyes a few times or similar after you finished recording this.

I'm inspired and encouraged to try some longer format drones, now...
thanks for the comments kent and cebec. i really like doing longer drones. you can let things develop slowly - the gradual shifting of sounds seems more pleasing to me. sometimes with shorter drones i feel that i have to shift things along a bit more than i'd like. this track was actually an edit from a much longer (like over an hour) piece. definitely try some longer drones - i'll be interested to hear them.

sandy

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Curse you, Short Attention Span!!!

I have a hard time making stuff this long. No problem listening, it's just that I like to start screwin' with 'em if they are right in front of me with all their knobs blazing in a wave of glory...

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Kent wrote:Curse you, Short Attention Span!!!

I have a hard time making stuff this long. No problem listening, it's just that I like to start screwin' with 'em if they are right in front of me with all their knobs blazing in a wave of glory...
that's exactly why i hit record and then walk out of the room, returning now and then to tweak.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Shit, the last time that you told me the same thing I thought that you were being figurative. You literally walk out?

I gotta calibrate the brain.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Kent wrote:Shit, the last time that you told me the same thing I thought that you were being figurative. You literally walk out?

I gotta calibrate the brain.
literally - out of the room, go do something else for 5-10 minutes or so, depending on the patch. i normally leave the door open so i can hear things bleeping away. then come back, make a small adjustment (with long drones tweaks shouldn't be too big - changes should be gradual imho) then leave again.

11ish
Nerd With Wound

Post by 11ish » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:29 pm

brilliant.

a good slow drone like this makes you *add* acoustic elements in your imagination, deceiving you about their actual presence - you start to hear things that aren't there - or are they? this kind of ambiguity is very appealling. And the strength of pieces like this is that you don't even have to be drowsy or in a meditative state of mind to experience this effect.

btw:

wetterberg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wetterberg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:25 pm

Bebe?

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:11 am

wetterberg wrote:Bebe?
eliane radigue

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:34 am

Gotta love the reel of tape hanging of of the 2500.

Man, I wish I had a cool Granny like that.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 pm

Kent wrote:Gotta love the reel of tape hanging of of the 2500.

Man, I wish I had a cool Granny like that.
i would like a cool synth playing granny too, particularly if she bequeathed me her Arp 2500 :)

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:35 pm

Your words. My thoughts exactly.

dkcg
I pity the fool w/o enough VCAs

Post by dkcg » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:11 pm

sandyb wrote: that's exactly why i hit record and then walk out of the room, returning now and then to tweak.
I smoke things until I hear something I want to pursue in the patch, or a sound I think I hear and want to accentuate it more. For me, EQ comes in SUPER handy...as do smokables when making a long droning patch. :party: :lol:

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:17 pm

dkcg wrote:
sandyb wrote: that's exactly why i hit record and then walk out of the room, returning now and then to tweak.
I smoke things until I hear something I want to pursue in the patch, or a sound I think I hear and want to accentuate it more. For me, EQ comes in SUPER handy...as do smokables when making a long droning patch. :party: :lol:
No smoking in the studio :mad: :lol:

Very hypnotic and trance inducing Sandy!

cebec
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cebec » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:46 pm

dkcg wrote: I smoke ... smokables when making a long droning patch. :party: :lol:
:mrgreen: :tu:

Return to “Your Tunes Here”