MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ES-3 & ES-6 question, with ES-8 for good measure
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author ES-3 & ES-6 question, with ES-8 for good measure
MrBiggs
I have a nice and lovely orange ES-3 version 1.0, and I've used it for years to bring audio and CV into my modular.
Lately I've been noticing that I'd like to go the other way as well. I'd like to start taking CV back into the computer for various jobs. VCV, recording CV sequences, and so on. So I think I need an ES-6.

Since the ES-6 requires an ES-3, but my ES-3 is 1.0, I'm guessing that I'd need to upgrade the ES-3 to use the ES-6, right?

Also, since a lot of what I use my ES-3 for is to run audio to to the modular for my Euro loopers and samplers, I'd like to make sure as well that the ES-3 can reverse this also, and send audio back into the computer. Not merely CV. I assume this is yes.

Lastly, I notice the ES-8. It costs $61 more than the ES-3/ES-6 together, which I'm assuming is because of the USB interface capabilities. Is this correct? I'd be fine with 4 inputs rather than six, and it's an advantage for me because it saves 4hp, which right now might be worth that $61 even though I probably don't really need the USB. Is there something I'm not considering that would also benefit from either the 3/6 combination or the 8?

(Running MacOS, MOTU 828 mk3 audio interface, Ableton)
(PS: no more orange modules, Os? I love the orange modules!)

thanks much
MrBiggs
I should also mention that I have a FH-2, which I use all the time with various USB controllers and the Digitakt. I don't have it right here -- but can it send CV through to Ableton or VCV via USB?

[Edit: Nevermind. It's all MIDI/clock, no audio.]
os
Quote:
Since the ES-6 requires an ES-3, but my ES-3 is 1.0, I'm guessing that I'd need to upgrade the ES-3 to use the ES-6, right?

ES-3 mk1 will work, but requires soldering. Similar to this: https://expert-sleepers.co.uk/es5es3mk1.html

Quote:
and send audio back into the computer. Not merely CV. I assume this is yes.

It is.

Quote:
Is there something I'm not considering that would also benefit from either the 3/6 combination or the 8?

You can add an ES-7 to the ES-6 for 8 inputs.

Quote:
no more orange modules, Os? I love the orange modules!

Me too, but the market prefers black or silver.
MrBiggs
Much appreciated Os. Read through the ES-6 manual last night and noted much of those answers were contained therein. If I can find room, it looks like the ES-6 and my soldering iron is good. (Though the upgrades to the ES-3 with v3 and v4 are pretty nice.)

I'm confused about the ES-8 operation after reading its manual, however. You have a small section in there about standalone operation, where the USB would not be used.

I think its the word "standalone" that's getting me since, practically, it's the USB (not needing another interface) that is standalone. Using the ADAT requires something between it and the computer. So just making sure I get its operation, my understanding is that this is either a USB interface, in which case the ADAT jacks wouldn't be necessary at all. Or it's an ADAT input/output module similar to the ES-3 in which case the USB isn't necessary. If you're running the USB, the ADATs are there merely for expansion, correct?
os
Correct.
MrBiggs
Nice, thanks.
One more query, then (well maybe several more but one more for now):
If the ES-8 is attached via ADAT in/out to my MOTU interface, and then I would like to use it with my iPad via USB, can it send simultaneous output and receive simultaneous input through both ADAT and USB? Or are they exclusive? Does one need to be detached before using the other?
os
If you connect the USB, then the ADAT channels become part of that USB audio interface i.e. they'll start sending audio to/from your iPad.
MrBiggs
os wrote:
If you connect the USB, then the ADAT channels become part of that USB audio interface i.e. they'll start sending audio to/from your iPad.

And therefore STOP sending it through those toslink cables, right?
os
No.

iPad -> USB -> ES-8
ES-8 8x jacks -> analogue out (8 channels)
ES-8 ADAT -> ADAT out (8 channels)

analogue ins (4 channels) -> ES-8 4x jacks
ADAT in (8 channels) -> ES-8 ADAT
ES-8 -> USB -> iPad
MrBiggs
w00t

Ok -- simultaneous identical signals could widen my rabbit hole considerably.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1