Looking for a complementary Filter for my case

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

ozmoziz
Learning to Wiggle

Looking for a complementary Filter for my case

Post by ozmoziz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:59 am

Hi,

I'm quite new to the forum and to eurorack. I've started my journey a few months ago (before that I used my Sub37 and 0coast) and I've allready noticed that I need a second Filter. So I'm looking for a nice complement to the Three Sisters. Here is my current case:

I've searched on the forum and watched different videos, so obvious choices would be Belgrad (which I don't like from the videos I've watched) or QPAS. I've read on the forum (don't now were this actually was) that a Three Sisters would pair well with a SEM like Multimode Filter. I really enjoy my Instruo CS-L, so would a Instruo Filter (1-o47) a great combo/complement for the CS L and the 3sisters?

I hope you can help my to find a nice sibling for my sisters.

thanking you in anticipation

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:20 am

The Doepfer Wasp filter is one of the most beloved filters amongst Eurorack fans, though it has a very specific sound and definitely isn't a good starter filter or even only filter.

I love and swear by the York Modular sallen key 2hp filters. They are great. Get a low pass and a hi pass, stuff them in wherever, and that's often times the only filters I use.

Aside from that, a great jumping off point is listening to comparisons of doepfer filters on youtube to get a sense of the different flavors out there. Then decide what you like the sound of the best and go from there.

I don't know what kind of filters were in the sub37 or 0coast, but it's hard to go wrong with a sallen key multimode or a pair of lp/hp's since they are so cost effective and sound great.

SnipeCatcher
Common Wiggler

Post by SnipeCatcher » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:07 am

Nice starter case you got! Would love to have that Instruo...

I’ve been laboring over this very subject myself and I’m fairly new to this as well. Listened to a ton of demos. My current filters are a Doepfer Wasp, which I love most of the time and a Tiptop Forbidden Planet, which I don’t care for nearly all of the time :)
At some point I’d love to get a Cwejman MMF-6, but they’re quite spendy even if you can find one. I really like the Verbos Four Pole as well, but it won’t quite fit into my performance case. I was torn between Three Sisters and The Joranalogue Filter 8. Wound up going with the Filter 8, but I could see me with a TS as well at some point. Once it gets here my case will likely look like this (not settled on the layout)
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 013697.jpg
I sequence and sample with an Octatrack and have an Elektron Analog Four mkii as well.
Good luck!

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:16 pm

I added a QPAS recently and it is lovely. I’ve only scratched the surface so far but for sure it’s an excellent drone/ pad filter, with a really smooth sound under slow modulation. I just need to find away to remove its inputs from my E370 outs... they seem to have melded themselves together :hihi:

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Given the limited space, how about a Font ? Very smooth sound.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nano-modules-font

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:57 pm

I had a QPAS and SISTERS at the same time. I'd say they cover the same territory but are executed differently. I'd get something different if I were you. That Instruo might be cool

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:56 pm

I like to put a WMD aperture on the output of a complex osc - its really good at carving out well defined areas of sound and has lots of modulation options to give really precise control - a different kind of sound to Three Sisters, so a nice contrast. Twin Peak does similar things but is "smoother" and as a bonus is also much nicer being pinged (more like Three Sisters in that respect).

On a different topic, but looking at your rack more generally - have you considered a matrix mixer in there? It is great for mixing up modulation from Batumi and gives a great degree of performance control.

guigui
Common Wiggler

Post by guigui » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm

If you have space and want a stereo filter module, I'd say Steady State Fate Stereo Dipole.

If you want a smaller and versatile filter, Joranalogue Filter 8

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:05 pm

Schippmann vcf02

The architecture for control around resonance is amazing. The quality is clear to my ears.
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

artieTwelve
Common Wiggler

Post by artieTwelve » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Perhaps a Jove System 80? I think they have just come out with a 6hp version.

ozmoziz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ozmoziz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:38 am

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions. For those who are interested I ended up with the Instruo io47. I was torn between Filter 8 and the io47 but I liked the sound of the Instruo more. Here is my current set up:

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:30 am

Thanks for the update! I see there are some other additions too, which seem to have made for a nice looking and balanced system. Enjoy!

ozmoziz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ozmoziz » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:53 am

MarcelP wrote:Thanks for the update! I see there are some other additions too, which seem to have made for a nice looking and balanced system. Enjoy!
Thanks for the complement! I'm considering to mix up the 1U row a bit but right now I'm happy with the system.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”