[AVAILABLE] clee Bits for Euro (bit crusher)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

[AVAILABLE] clee Bits for Euro (bit crusher)

Post by CLee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:44 pm

You Euro DIYers may not be all that familiar with my stuff, I build 4U Serge format modules. One of my modules, a bit crusher, I'm releasing in the Euro format. Thanks to Frogleg Synthesis for the PCB and Panel layout.

PCBs/PCB panels are $36 and available at the usual places. SynthCube has them in stock, Modular Addict and Thonk to follow soon (on their way)

Here's the 4U thread, viewtopic.php?t=208069&highlight=

Bits is a 12bit bit crusher module with waveshaping. The module uses a Teensy 3.2 Info on my web site: Euro Bits, including BOMs and schematics.

**THE EURO PCB HAS AN ERROR **
One resistor is not connected to ground like it should be. The fix is easy and just requires a small jumper wire. Information is on my web page.

[video][/video]

Last edited by CLee on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daynehacks
Common Wiggler

Post by daynehacks » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 pm

This looks very excellent. I've always wanted to build a guitar pedal with the teensy that did this. I will definitely have to pick one up for my eurorack!

pppier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pppier » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:57 pm

great module (and I look forward to have other clee modules in eurorack)

so you told me to set 48Mhz as CPU SPEED in Arduino Environment (I love teensy, easy to flash)

what about the 2 trimmers? looking at schematics I guess TR2 is to reach 0V at output, or...?
and what i have to look for while trimming TR1 (RAW DAC / LPF) ?

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 pm

EDIT: THIS WAS INCORRECT ORIGINALLY!

Trim TR1 for unity gain through the module with no modulation (fastest sample rate, maximum bits, and no wave shaping and ADC/LPF set to ADC).

Then with no input adjust TR2 for no change at the output when switching the OFFSET switch on and off.
Last edited by CLee on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pppier
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pppier » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:40 pm

:tu:
edit

symplx
Learning to Wiggle

RV5 dual Potentiometer

Post by symplx » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 pm

I have a question about RV5 the prefilter dual Potentiometer, Alps RK09L. According to the image of the PCB it's 100k. Alps does not make a dual 100k vertical pot. Would a 10k work? Is it audio taper? What's available: https://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/P ... _list.html

Thankx

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: RV5 dual Potentiometer

Post by CLee » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 am

symplx wrote:I have a question about RV5 the prefilter dual Potentiometer, Alps RK09L. According to the image of the PCB it's 100k. Alps does not make a dual 100k vertical pot. Would a 10k work? Is it audio taper? What's available: https://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML/P ... _list.html

Thankx
It should be 100K because the value sets the range of the filter.

Thonk carries the pot here,

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/alpha-9mm-pots/

When I was having the PCBs made for the Euro version I was told by synthCube and Modular Addict that they had the pot available, but I don't see it on their web site.

symplx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by symplx » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:16 pm

CLee, So is it audio taper? Also Q1 & Q2, (LM4040LP-3) is that 3 volts? Thankx

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:25 pm

symplx wrote:CLee, So is it audio taper?
The dual 100K pot is linear taper (B100K)
symplx wrote:Also Q1 & Q2, (LM4040LP-3) is that 3 volts? Thankx
The LM4040-3 is indeed 3 volts

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: [AVAILABLE] clee Bits for Euro (bit crusher)

Post by FatRocky » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:31 pm

Hi
What´s the impedance for the ferrite beads needed for the 4u version?

My SynthCube kit didn´t come with those

is it here:

https://www.mouser.pe/Search/Refine?Key ... rough+hole

Thanks

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:58 pm

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Here's some alternate code for the Bits module. With this code "Bits V1.3" the range switch will switch between audio range and external clocking. The RATE CV IN will be the clock in.

Notes in the Arduino sketch tell how to return it to internal sub-audio clocking by commenting/uncommenting lines and re-programing the Teensy.

Soon I'll post how to modify the module by changing the On/Off RANGE switch to On/Off/On and adding a jumper wire and resistor. Then running V1.4 software will give you AUDIO, SUB-AUDIO, and EXTERNAL CLOCK for the SAMPLE RATE control

Craig
Bits_REV_1dot3.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:22 pm

Great

Thanks!

Ric

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:20 am

CLee wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:57 pm
Here's some alternate code for the Bits module. With this code "Bits V1.3" the range switch will switch between audio range and external clocking. The RATE CV IN will be the clock in.

Notes in the Arduino sketch tell how to return it to internal sub-audio clocking by commenting/uncommenting lines and re-programing the Teensy.

Soon I'll post how to modify the module by changing the On/Off RANGE switch to On/Off/On and adding a jumper wire and resistor. Then running V1.4 software will give you AUDIO, SUB-AUDIO, and EXTERNAL CLOCK for the SAMPLE RATE control

Craig

Bits_REV_1dot3.zip

Hi Craig
Thanks for the info.
What exactly the Range switching upgrade does to the Bits? I haven´t completed the build and have no idea of it´s behavior yet.

Other thing: Would you recommend i program the brand new Teensy 3.2 directly with the V.1.3 code (without trying the previous code before)?

And Would you say i better wait to the hardware modification instructions to On/Off RANGE switch to On/Off/On before even programming the Teensy?

I wanted to replace the mini jacks for TRS´s or TRs for the IN -OUT as well.

Thanks

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am

Original code V1.2: Range switches between audio sample rates and sub-audio sample rates

Updated code V1.3: Range switches between audio sample rates and external clocking. That's the only change between the two.

You should load whichever you think you'd like.

Mod code V1.4: Range switch UP: external trigger, CENTER: audio rate, DOWN: sub-audio sample rate

The update will be really easy. If you're building now just install an on-off-on switch instead of the on-off for range. The V1.2 and V1.3 codes will still work just fine with that switch, it's just one on position won't do anything. I'll be confirming the mod today (on 4U). It will just involve a jumper wire and tacking a 100K resistor onto the new Range switch.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:51 am

CLee wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am
Original code V1.2: Range switches between audio sample rates and sub-audio sample rates

Updated code V1.3: Range switches between audio sample rates and external clocking. That's the only change between the two.

You should load whichever you think you'd like.

Mod code V1.4: Range switch UP: external trigger, CENTER: audio rate, DOWN: sub-audio sample rate

The update will be really easy. If you're building now just install an on-off-on switch instead of the on-off for range. The V1.2 and V1.3 codes will still work just fine with that switch, it's just one on position won't do anything. I'll be confirming the mod today (on 4U). It will just involve a jumper wire and tacking a 100K resistor onto the new Range switch.
ç

Excellent

Thanks

Ric

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 pm

Here is the mod on the 4U version of the module. I don't have a switch on hand to do it to the Euro module. As you can see it's pretty simple.

Replace the SPST on-off with a SPDT center off on-off-on switch. Solder a 100k resistor across the 2 outer pins of the switch. Locate the outer pin that isn't a ground connection, it's a no connection hole. Run a wire from that pin to PIN 6 of the Teensy, which is PIN 8 of the Teensy board (the first pin is GROUND and the second pin is PIN 0). Then load BITS V1.4 software.

DON'T RUN THE V1.4 SOFTWARE UNLESS YOU DO THE MOD. The software removes the internal Pull-up resistor from PIN 6 so it would be floating without the 100k pull-down resistor. That could cause long term damage to the Teensy as the pin would be floating.

hardware mod for V1.4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:55 am

Hello, is it just me or is anyone else having problems verifying the firmware on the Clee Bits, I have three computers with different builds of Arduino IDE and cannot get it to verifying and get "error compiling for Teensy 3.1 3.2. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the IDE and can load the Blink prog ok, the end of the error message says:-

C:\Users\davel\Desktop\Clee Bit Crusher\Code 1dot2\Bits_REV_1dot2\Bits_REV_1dot2.ino:18:17: fatal error: pdb.h: No such file or directory

compilation terminated.

Multiple libraries were found for "ADC.h"
Used: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\ADC
Not used: C:\Users\davel\Documents\Arduino\libraries\ADC-master
Using library ADC at version 8.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\ADC
Error compiling for board Teensy 3.2 / 3.1.

If CLee reads this I am "R40 man"

Can anyone point to what I am doing wrong, I certainly hope so.

DaveL

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Your printout says "fatal error: pdb.h: No such file or directory"

do you have this file,
Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 2.12.49 PM copy.jpg

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:13 pm

An error was discovered on the Euro PCB that requires a jumper wire to ground a resistor.

The module works as-is but the LINE OUT will be louder than it should be. The LINE OUT is designed to be half the level of the SYNTH OUT but without modification will be the same level.

You just need to run a jumper wire from one side of R40 to somewhere on the nearby ground pour. You can see it in the picture below or download a PDF from my web page, http://clsound.com/bitseuro.html
R40-FIX-Photo_72ppi.jpg

davel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davel » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Hi Mr Clee, yes I have that file but things have moved on after I copied it to the folder before I verified it, now using the laptop I get
a different error if I using 1dot3 or 1dot4 I get :

Error at line 118 setupPins();

setupPins was not declared in this scope
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI
'setupPins' was not declared in this scope

I will keep trying but am getting a bit disheartened, with the virus there are no programmers at work, they are working from home.

DaveL

CLee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CLee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:10 pm

I think I did this correctly, hope it works. I'm shaky of Arduino...

You should be able to open these hex files with the Teensy uploader and program the Teensy without the Arduino sketch. I'm not sure what the problem is you're having but this will at least get you running until you can get Arduino to compile.

Use Vers1.2 if you are building without the switch/resistor/jumper mod.

Use Vers1.4 if you did the mods

davel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by davel » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:58 am

Hello Craig,
Thank you very much for the .HEX files. I now have it working but still cannot understand as to why the Arduino will not verify on any of my four computers and yes, I even had to get out my old notebook but life is strange at times. I thought that electronics was a pain, then I started to look at music and found that was a minefield with an octave that has twelve notes and beats per quarter note, then electronics didn't seem so complicated after all.
I will investigate the mods and see how I can impliment them to a 3U device.
Thanks once again and take care and be safe in these troubled times, and the pubs are shut.
DaveL

vtl5c3
Common Wiggler

Post by vtl5c3 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:29 am

Hi Craig!

What's the rating for the PTC fuses in the BOM?

elmegil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by elmegil » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:07 am

Trip current is 240mA

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Li ... ein2Cy0%3D

Main purpose is to protect from a full reverse power, so other values will work.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”