MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Can I do key changes with a sequential switch?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Can I do key changes with a sequential switch?
3hands
Here’s what I’m trying to do... I have a Doepfer A151 sequential switch and I would love to somehow utilize it to give me a sequence of 4 notes. I can’t see how this is possible however unless I’m totally missing something. And I probably am. I don’t have a quantizer (yet), but is something like that essential to getting the switch to cycle through 4 notes?

Sorry for the n00b question, but I’m scratching my head trying to figure it out. For clarity purposes, I also have a Maths, wogglebug, Quadrat function generator and an RCD, if any of that helps me achieve some sort of pitch change.

Thanks!
Datum
Do you have any oscillators? You could just patch 4 pitched sounds into the sequential switch and cycle through them to create a sequence. Or cycle Maths into audio range (and anything else that can self-oscillate at audio rate) and plug those channels into the switch.

Maybe if you give more detail on what you're trying to accomplish? Are you trying to have it generate a changing sequence? Are you using any other modules or just the ones listed?
dude
yeah, you can use a switch to send control voltages.

fixed voltages are easiest. 4 set at 4 different levels. if you can only find 1 you can mult it and attenuate each differently to provide 4 different "tuned" pitches coming out one of each 4 switch inputs. output then goes to 1v/o input on vco. a trigger from say rcd will help to cycle through seq switch stages. probably want same trigger to trig envelope /vca in order note to have those 4 endless notes droning on forever.

but i think what you may be looking for is a traditional sequencer feeding 1v/o to a vco in a standard east coast subtractive archetype setup.
3hands
Thanks guys!!

Yes I have multiple oscillators!! My current setup is this...

Livewire AFG
Richter Borg
Orgone Accumulator osc
Elements
Rings
uLFO
Maths
Wogglebug
Braids
SYO.5
Tangle Quartet VCA
Intellijel Quadra
Living Memory VCO
RCD and breakout
Warps
A138 mixer
A151 switch
A140
A106-5

So I have a nice system! Just trying to figure it all out. I do have it all setup with an Arturia BSP but was trying a way to get it happening internally!!

Thanks!
nuromantix
I think the coolest way is to feed a constant voltage into the input of the A151 (for example you can use on of the Maths channels 2 or 3) and plug the 4 outputs of the A151 into the 4 inputs of your A138. Then the output of the A138 into your VCO. You can then use the knobs on the A138 to set pitch just like a proper step sequencer.
3hands
nuromantix wrote:
I think the coolest way is to feed a constant voltage into the input of the A151 (for example you can use on of the Maths channels 2 or 3) and plug the 4 outputs of the A151 into the 4 inputs of your A138. Then the output of the A138 into your VCO. You can then use the knobs on the A138 to set pitch just like a proper step sequencer.

Oh that’s an amazing idea!!

Will give that a shot this weekend!! Thanks so much!!
electricanada
A switch is a sequencer sans CVs. All you have to do is give it some CVs. Take the four outs from maths into the four ins of a 151 and you have a four-note sequencer.
electricanada
nuromantix wrote:

You can get a 16-note sequence. Four different clock subdivisions from your rcd into the 138. Now each column of the 138 is a 4-note sequencer. Take the four outs from the 138 into the 151. Clock the 151 so that it switches every four notes == 16-note sequence!
EATyourGUITAR
The traditional way is to have a sequencer playing 1v/Oct into a precision adder then feed the keyboard 1v/Oct into the precision adder. You may want track and hold feature in a module or in the midi to CV so you don't have to hold they key down. Sometimes you can plug another 1v/Oct into the exponential FM input with the FM CV attenuator fully CW.

You could do it in the computer probably.
andybizarre
You might need a buffer module patched before or after the A-151 if you want to feed it tuned voltages/precise pitches. The A-151 is bi-directional and as such introduces a small voltage drop to its inputs. No problem with CVs, but quite noticeable on pitches. A quantizer will compensate this effect as well and quantize to the next note on a given scale.
cptnal
andybizarre wrote:
You might need a buffer module patched before or after the A-151 if you want to feed it tuned voltages/precise pitches. The A-151 is bi-directional and as such introduces a small voltage drop to its inputs. No problem with CVs, but quite noticeable on pitches. A quantizer will compensate this effect as well and quantize to the next note on a given scale.

Adding to this, I often use multiple channels of Stages in sample and hold mode to distribute melodic information from the same quantized sequence to different voices, and it handles pitch very nicely.
gtrmstr53
+1 on the precision adder. Hearing about how to use it to transpose V/O signals has convinced me to keep an eye out for one.
electricanada
If you have multiple channels of quantization then the precision adder is nice to have but not necessary. Just transpose before quantizing.
spilthyfred
Have you checked out the Malekko Voltage Block? Eight channels of CV in whatever key you like. hihi

You could then use a sequential switch to switch between different channels on the VB if you wished.
cavidim
Quote:
you could then use a sequential switch to switch between different channels on the VB if you wished

i wonder how you that, since VB has 8 channels of cv inputs. I mean no output to send it to the sequential switch
Moerder
cavidim wrote:
Quote:
you could then use a sequential switch to switch between different channels on the VB if you wished

i wonder how you that, since VB has 8 channels of cv inputs. I mean no output to send it to the sequential switch

what? the VB has 8 separate outputs. each output/sequence could either just be a single voltage/pitch/whatever that's been set, and the sequential switch cycles between these. you can have 8 entirely different sequences/scales/lengths etc. easily so I think you're just confusing that it has 8 outputs, not 8 inputs..or am I missing something?

have done the above multiple times with VB+Pico SEQS, very straight forward
spilthyfred
cavidim wrote:
Quote:

The voltage block has 8 CV OUTPUTS. It is a CV sequencer so you can do notes, scales, etc. It is also incredible at modulating other things like the cutoff from your VCF for instance. Great stuff.
cavidim
Moerder wrote:
cavidim wrote:
Quote:

what? the VB has 8 separate outputs. each output/sequence could either just be a single voltage/pitch/whatever that's been set, and the sequential switch cycles between these. you can have 8 entirely different sequences/scales/lengths etc. easily so I think you're just confusing that it has 8 outputs, not 8 inputs..or am I missing something?

have done the above multiple times with VB+Pico SEQS, very straight forward

since i don't have VB i guess, i was confused, switching the sequences with a seq. switch using VB's channels sounds great, i did not know that it was possible
ersatzplanet
I know this is a bit of self promotion, but this is a perfect job for a programmer. The Synthwerks PGM-4X4 will give you 4 sets of 4 voltages that you can choose via manual pushbutton, external gate/trigger ins, or by triggering it's internal sequencer.

The advantage over using a sequential switch is that the control voltages can be chosen in any order you want and you are not forced into the sequence. If you want to do the sequence you can of course. The gate/trigger inputs a level sensitive so can be controlled by LFOs, EGs or almost any voltage source. I have used a Doepfer A-144 morph controller to make the selection by control voltage level for instance.

Change the pitch and three other parameters at the same time. You can also chain two together to get 8 choices or stack them as high as you have cabinet space to change as many parameters as you want.

BTW - you can put that sequential switch after the PGM-4X4 and use it to choose the rows outputted so you can easily make a single unit have 16 separate programable CVs.

syncretism
ersatzplanet wrote:
I know this is a bit of self promotion, but this is a perfect job for a programmer.

This is smart, and here's a potentially fun idea: run the output of a programmer row (or rows) to a VC slew (or slews wink) and mult the gates you use for stage selection to the slew. With some CV mixing or a logic module to combine the gates, you have a cool means to tie portamento to key change events while the four-note sequence itself will play without portamento.

In my head, at least, this is cool. Sadly, none of my sequencers have gate inputs for stage selection, but I can at least combine slew and a reset gate.

hmmm.....
ersatzplanet
syncretism wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:
I know this is a bit of self promotion, but this is a perfect job for a programmer.

This is smart, and here's a potentially fun idea: run the output of a programmer row (or rows) to a VC slew (or slews wink) and mult the gates you use for stage selection to the slew. With some CV mixing or a logic module to combine the gates, you have a cool means to tie portamento to key change events while the four-note sequence itself will play without portamento.

In my head, at least, this is cool. Sadly, none of my sequencers have gate inputs for stage selection, but I can at least combine slew and a reset gate.

hmmm.....

The common use I do is pitch transpose along with filter and VC control of echo timing and feedback. In the typical Verse/Chorus thing, it can make the Chorus part completely different than the verse part, especially if you use timed echos with your sequencer lines.

Most of the time in my rig, the PGM is tied to a Nebulae and a 4ms STS, changing a bunch of stuff on them (timing, pitch, loop selection, start and stop points etc.). I typically leave one column to tweak live, and the others to come back to when things get out of hand.

They tend to take up some panel space at 24HP, but I think of them as performance modules. We recently lowered the cost of them to $200 each (down $100).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1