MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Malekko Manther alternatives for sequenced bass(ish) duties
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Malekko Manther alternatives for sequenced bass(ish) duties
NaiveMelody
Hey there,

I make mainly dark techno, verging on the more ambient / dub side and some influences from noise music / PE. I love Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement (and anything from Hospital Productions), DJ Python, Ron Morelli etc...

I used modular and a Machinedrum too.

I've been really hankering after a synth that can sit somewhere between an SH-101 and a TB-303, mainly for bass duties. Ideally I'd like a sequencer on board.

Malekko Manther seems to fit the bill pretty well, but I was wondering if there are more appropriate alternatives or anything I might not have considered.

I've been looking round to see if I can find a similar thread, and I've had no luck. Apologies if there is one!
Panason
Roland SE-02?
We certainly could do with more bass machines.
DiscoDevil
Avalon has taken over about 80% of all my bassline duties. It can do anything from low rumbles to chirps and rubbery funk slaps.
NaiveMelody
Panason wrote:
Roland SE-02?
We certainly could do with more bass machines.

I did wonder about the SE-02 - it sounds huge on videos.

Do you know how gnarly it can get?

Do you have any opinions of the on board sequencer?
NaiveMelody
DiscoDevil wrote:
Avalon has taken over about 80% of all my bassline duties. It can do anything from low rumbles to chirps and rubbery funk slaps.

The Avalon sounds totally amazing. Seems to do a lot of what I want and more.

I haven't found it in the UK yet from a very quick look.
Panason
The one thing I noticed that sucks about the SE02 sequencer is that you can only modulate one parameter per step, and it doesn't jump back to the preset value after the step has played, so you have to manually reset it on the following step. Regardless, if you can drive the filter envelope decay time from the sequencer you could do really cool bass lines .

The other thing is of course the idiotically small size and the knob caps need changing or modifying as the dots aren't all that visible.

Import tax makes the Avalon really expensive in the UK... the Novation Peak costs less (!) and can certainly deliver on the bass front if you don't need a 303 clone. Shame it has no sequencer.
NaiveMelody
Panason wrote:
The one thing I noticed that sucks about the SE02 sequencer is that you can only modulate one parameter per step, and it doesn't jump back to the preset value after the step has played, so you have to manually reset it on the following step.

The other thing is of course the idiotically small size and the knob caps need changing or modifying as the dots aren't all that visible.

Import tax makes the Avalon really expensive in the UK... the Novation Peak costs less (!) and can certainly deliver on the bass front if you don't need a 303 clone. Shame it has no sequencer.

Ah only one parameter?! That's annoying.

Yeh i think I'd have to look out for a secondhand Avalon in Europe.

I have a Peak and do really love it, I do just love using a sequencer on board. I've not tried to push it for any acid-y type stuff, but it can definitely do aggression.
Blingley
For whatever it's worth, Roland SE02 was what I thought of immediately when reading your use case.

Alternatively, Hypersynth Xenophone seems to tick all boxes and can definitely get gnarly. It is, however, rather pricy.
NaiveMelody
Blingley wrote:
For whatever it's worth, Roland SE02 was what I thought of immediately when reading your use case.

Alternatively, Hypersynth Xenophone seems to tick all boxes and can definitely get gnarly. It is, however, rather pricy.

How gnarly / crazy or acidy can the SE-02 get? It certainly sounds massive and can get gritty.

The Xenophone does look ideal - but definitely not as affordable or SE-02 or Manther.
Randy
Never mind.
NaiveMelody
Randy wrote:
Never mind.

I listened to the video and it sounds very cool! I’m not looking for DIY really but am open to having it in Eurorack.
Randy
Thanks. I removed the post because I realized it wasn't really relevant but I'm glad you liked the video.

Randy
NaiveMelody
Randy wrote:
Thanks. I removed the post because I realized it wasn't really relevant but I'm glad you liked the video.

Randy

Sure, understand! But was cool to see anyway smile
Randy
Eurorack would probably give you the most options, and lots of opportunity to change things around but, in my opinion at least, the patch cords get in the way. I have a fairly large Eurorack setup, but the reason I started designing the reSEMble panel was to get back into just fooling with knobs.

All of the modules behind the panel are also available as Eurorack modules.
col
Volca NubAss for 303 duties, cheap and sounds amazing.
NaiveMelody
col wrote:

I've never checked it out. What's the sequencer like on the Volcas?
NaiveMelody
Someone has also suggested an MC-202 or an Arturia Minibrute 2S.

Does anyone have experience of either for this purpose?
col
NaiveMelody wrote:
col wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0sA5z_GUag
unclebastard
NaiveMelody wrote:
Someone has also suggested an MC-202 or an Arturia Minibrute 2S.Henstridge

Does anyone have of which can be used to modulate experience of either for this purpose?

I have a Minibrute 2S, I'd recommend it for bass sequencing. The sequencer has four tracks, two of which can modulate anything, per-step changes, and it sounds great, from smooth to knobbly. Just take it easy with the Brute Factor knob.. .
nectarios
Elektron A4 mk1s go for cheap nowdays. One part does bass and you have 3 more parts for other stuff + 2 brilliant CV/gate sequencers with memory.
NaiveMelody
nectarios wrote:
Elektron A4 mk1s go for cheap nowdays. One part does bass and you have 3 more parts for other stuff + 2 brilliant CV/gate sequencers with memory.

I do like the tone of those - they sound quite raw to me.

Do you think they suit bass duties? Haven't been sure from videos I've seen.
NaiveMelody
unclebastard wrote:
NaiveMelody wrote:
Someone has also suggested an MC-202 or an Arturia Minibrute 2S.Henstridge

Does anyone have of which can be used to modulate experience of either for this purpose?

I have a Minibrute 2S, I'd recommend it for bass sequencing. The sequencer has four tracks, two of which can modulate anything, per-step changes, and it sounds great, from smooth to knobbly. Just take it easy with the Brute Factor knob.. .

The sequencer sounds cool. I'll check it out. Not sure I know anywhere I could compare it to the Manther, but it sounds like a contender.
NaiveMelody
col wrote:
NaiveMelody wrote:
col wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0sA5z_GUag

This sounds really really cool! I hadn't checked it out at all. Total 303-like machine!
RickKleffel
NaiveMelody wrote:
nectarios wrote:

I just picked up one used. It's an amazing box. For bass duties, you could easily write one part and have it played with four different bass sounds, each with different effects and pan settings. It has chain and song functions and apparently works with Overbridge. It's not hard for some to get great sounds out of Elektron; you'll find others here who dislike all their gear, make sure you give it a listen. I find it generally easily to tweeze presets into usable sounds; again, others not so much. [IE YMMV.] In the mix with other stuff, I find it works well. It may take quite a while to wrap your brain around the sequencer, but illumination may arrive; if/when this happens, it proves to be pretty damn useful.
nectarios
NaiveMelody wrote:
nectarios wrote:

Very much so.
The people that say it cannot make deep bass, can't program a bass patch to save their lives.

It has two resonant filters, the second one is multimode and you can easily use the high pass with resonance (or peak if you don't want to use the high pass), focus on the frequency you want and boost it with resonance. You can even set that filter to track the notes and use P-Locks so you can have control of which notes get boosted and by how much.

Its a very "generic" sounding analog synth, which was one of the reasons I did not like it at first, but grew to like it after as I used pedals and external processors to shape the sound.

Its killer for live sets as well since its 4 mono synths with sequencer and effects, with the performance knobs being handy too.

Not much that is analog and comes close for the price of the mk1, which I recommend as you'll be saving lots of cash and space (and aesthetics, imo) from getting the mk2.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3