MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Harsh noise & drone rig
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Harsh noise & drone rig
EATyourGUITAR
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1014625.jpg

After many years in euro, I am moving away from DIY. My shit never comes out this small or this fully developed. So here it is, less drones this time and more harsh noise. I haved played with other people's gear and decided I absolutely need some kind of contact mic spring or sheet metal, shaker etc.. outside the case. I need spring reverb in the case. I intentionally left out loopers and digital delay. I kinda hate hearing that stuff now. I wanted a live performance rack that feels like it is a mechanical animal. Living breathing evolving. I tried to put ultra dense modules flanked by less dense modules. No dense modules on the outside edges rubbing up against the case. I think the look, the functional layout and the finger space is as good as I can make it.

Asking here if you have any possible module suggestions to add or remove something. Do I have enough VCA? Enough utilities? I know I have no headphone module but I'm not too worried about that. I will run it into a small mixer or an audio interface anyway.

Was the synchrodyne a complete waste of space!? I would stick a e340 there and a fuzz more clock dividers attenuators.
kinkycables
Unless you already have experience with it and love it, I'd say dump the Dark Matter.

IMO, it's a huge let down. The demo vids show what seems to be its wheelhouse, add texture to weak beats. The bass boost is nice, but there's other/better tools for that.

All in all, it's not the noise/drone monster one would expect it to be.
EATyourGUITAR
kinkycables wrote:
Unless you already have experience with it and love it, I'd say dump the Dark Matter.

IMO, it's a huge let down. The demo vids show what seems to be its wheelhouse, add texture to weak beats. The bass boost is nice, but there's other/better tools for that.

All in all, it's not the noise/drone monster one would expect it to be.

I just tried it on 6U that was demo not mine. I think the best part was the faders. The guy who was using it all the time said he absolutely loves it. My reaction was that there was too much shit in this module. However, the distortion was decent not amazing but better than clean gain anyway. While I did like boosting the bass, I hate that the crossover frequency is not adjustable. I also think I probably never boost the treble so that will just stay down and waste panel space. Probably a half way decent module if you can put something decent in the send return loop. It puts everything into a great controller all in one place top left. No cables to get in the way.

I know I can do something with mults, faders, distortion, VCF but when you think about it that would be 4 modules probably 16HP and you lose the fader interface so back to maybe. It's not perfect but I know I can sell it if it sucks.
Severed head
this posted reminded me of INZANE JOHNNY
sutekina bipu-on
You should look into that xenon tube distortion module.

The doepfer comparator is a great choice tho u could go for a 3 tile holder and 2 or 3 comparator pulp logic tiles.

The equinox VCA overdrives and gets nasty if you set up the signal just right. I haven't made any of my other vcas scream like that.

Also big shout out to either the ladik animator or doepfer wave mult II.
sutekina bipu-on
Severed head wrote:
this posted reminded me of INZANE JOHNNY

VM
Which of the modules do you already own?

It looks very lean on sound sources, I assume this is deliberate? Have you looked into x1l3 stuff?
EATyourGUITAR
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
You should look into that xenon tube distortion module.

same problem I had with the distortion pedal for guitar. I didn't like the sound. to my ears it is similar to mixing noise into a signal and then running it to a VCA driven from an envelope follower derived from the original audio. even though it is probably not done this way.... my ears can't tell the difference.

sutekina bipu-on wrote:
The doepfer comparator is a great choice tho u could go for a 3 tile holder and 2 or 3 comparator pulp logic tiles.

I was a developer of tile format modules for a while. they have different power connectors. the tile carrier rotates them 90. there is wasted space in the tile carrier. I wanted to get away from tiles and never come back.

sutekina bipu-on wrote:
The equinox VCA overdrives and gets nasty if you set up the signal just right. I haven't made any of my other vcas scream like that.

the description is pretty much bog standard 2181 VCA. I see no reason why this would have enough gain to distort with a +/-5v audio signal. maybe it does but I would like to know if the one you have has the trimmer way off to one side CW or CCW? what is the max gain at less than %0.1 THD? if it is any less than 2 I could probably keep the gozinta in the rack for the same thing.
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Also big shout out to either the ladik animator or doepfer wave mult II.

the ladik is similar to all the saw animators available in eurorack. the doepfer is similar to the ian fritz 5 pulser. there is a lot of overlap here with the saw animators and the doepfer wave multiplier 2. I do have comparators and attenuverters and mixers in the rack so I have something similar already but less powerful I suppose. I kinda feel like after playing with these things long time ago, I just don't put them at the top of my list anymore. it is just adding a lot of square waves to a signal if it is all sines to start with. I wish the doepfer wasn't so big I would probably rock that maybe.

VM wrote:
Which of the modules do you already own?

I had a rack of DIY but I sold it all to buy a house and car

VM wrote:
It looks very lean on sound sources, I assume this is deliberate?

yes and no. I didn't think it was lacking sound sources. you need a lot of modulation to do it how I do it. one of the main voices I use is the contact mic. this rack is for processing and blending the contact mic with the drones. there are two crossfaders. lots of two input mixers. and a dedicated feedback controller. run it all through filters, fuck shit up modules and real spring reverb. that is a party.

VM wrote:
Have you looked into x1l3 stuff?

no but I just did now and it seems pretty cool. it is probably more glitchy and chip tune than what I would have picked out. it reminds me of the trogotronic 666 and the 669. I want a 666 but I can not find them anywhere used. rare as fuck. hit me up if you got one.
thetwlo
Yeah, the Casper packs a lot into a small space, but grew tired of the sound very quickly. Doesn't have the same functionality, but the Ritual Miasma is fantastic and customizable by swapping diodes, sold the Dark Matter right after getting it.
Unfortunately, the FIL3 wasn't as great as expected either, maybe my taste, but it also, always kinda had the same sound, maybe a WMD uHC?
The Synchrodyne+Expand! are amazing!! endless!!
VM
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

VM wrote:

no but I just did now and it seems pretty cool. it is probably more glitchy and chip tune than what I would have picked out.

Are we listening to the same modules? Shard / Wreckage are the ones. Calling them "chiptune" is like calling Rambo "assertive".

What artists/bands are you taking as inspiration for your sound?
thetwlo
VM wrote:
EATyourGUITAR wrote:

VM wrote:

no but I just did now and it seems pretty cool. it is probably more glitchy and chip tune than what I would have picked out.

Are we listening to the same modules? Shard / Wreckage are the ones. Calling them "chiptune" is like calling Rambo "assertive".

What artists/bands are you taking as inspiration for your sound?

agreed, that stuff, Shard, x113, just sounds like an old video game. over done, I cringe when I hear those silly sounds. There's little depth to them.
Dedal
I definitely think you should get doepfer a-137-2 , it’s awesome unit for harshing And add versatility to signal gently destroying it Dead Banana
Dedal
I also recommend to see at the hexinverter Jupiter storm , awesome sound generator with wide range of noises
thetwlo
Dedal wrote:
I also recommend to see at the hexinverter Jupiter storm , awesome sound generator with wide range of noises

thumbs up
moremagic
synchrodyne & expander & wogglebug? seems kinda overkill on PLLs imo; id drop the wogglebug and one of the doepfer comparators for a sport modulator, the slewing & comparators & holding all together makes it very useful in every patch
sutekina bipu-on
Oh, the doepfer Opto FET vcf/phaser is a feedbacking noise machine.
Euro Trash Bazooka
Miasma from Ritual Electronics. A matrix mixer as well.
Euro Trash Bazooka
thetwlo wrote:

agreed, that stuff, Shard, x113, just sounds like an old video game. over done, I cringe when I hear those silly sounds. There's little depth to them.
[video]Whitehouse vif.

You talk too much, you don't listen enough.
EATyourGUITAR
for music we could say merzbow pulse demon. I don't think I have heard anything since that really nails it. I can go back to this album and it never gets old. he has a great talent for never doing anything boring. always switches it up. put a lot of rhythm into his drones. yellow swans is another one.
Dedal
Double post , delete please
foliephonics
I like you black/silver organisation ! thumbs up

And... I'd like to upset that a little with the TouellSkouarn Skorn da Bask. Great module which might be right up your alley !
fjoesz
harsh noise = noise engineering
EATyourGUITAR
Changed out a lot of stuff based on suggestions.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1014625

I got 3 dirty filters in there. Dropped all the PLL's. Added two sound sources. Added modulation. Added distortion so I dropped gozinta. Dropped dark matter. I still get to have some up faders. I did not get to put a TWF or ufold but I guess can't have everything in 6U. I don't use batumi in expert mode. I hate menu diving in live performance. That is why I have two batumi. Moved mults and RIP to a passive case outside the rack. I can in theory move the attenuators to the passive case but it ruins the layout having them near the e340.
Brianvega
Perhaps consider Piston Honda mk3 for sound source. Big range of very filthy sounds (ext fm etc)
brandonlogic
look into the benjolin.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2