MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moving your case to perform while keeping it patched...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Moving your case to perform while keeping it patched...
vrfats

I ended up with this weird triple case layout which Im pretty fond of but moving the thing for a gig and keeping it patched is a nightmare and pretty much impossible. Im pretty attached to the angled console layout. Any big ideas for moving it and keeping it patched? Maybe some kind of giant roadie coffin with something to synch the monorocket case down and a big lid?

It'd be sensible to cram all the essentials into the monorocket case and make a set out of a more limited pallet I guess and will probably end up going that route in due time.
minigmgoit
The only thing I can suggest is custom made flight cases which I’m surprised more people don’t use if I’m honest. They can be quite affordable and you can get it made exactly to your specification. That’s my 2 cents at least.
Pelsea
I’ve laid out my cases so commonly connected modules are together. Thus I have one case for my wind instrument, one for my laptop controlled ensemble, and one for the more gonzo modules. Each case has a full complement of utilities. This arrangement makes patching from case to case rare. When I take the system out to a show, I disconnect the cross case patch cords at one end and label the loose ends with a sticky label. This leaves my patch more or less intact & it’s quick to set up at the venue.

PS. The system shown in my avatar was on wheels. That worked great when I lived in a music department, but would be impossible in the venues I find myself in these days.
vrfats
Yeah, I guess strategizing and setting up more isolated systems is a good approach. Its going to be tricky to set them up as such and not patch between them hmmm.....
AuralAntithesis
after much contemplation, I have set up 2 cases.

One for my noisy but techno influenced stuff, and the other for all the more esoteric/straight up noise/drone stuff.

It can also be fun to set it up and try to focus on the more limited stuff you have in one case and maximize the noise / set times you can get out of it.

Baseck gave the advise when he was prompted last weekend in Seattle to "juice all you can out of each module / drive it like you stole it" !! paraphrased but SOLID ADVICE!

Guinness ftw! Crash
vrfats
Recently rearranged modules into a smaller monorocket case and attempted to take a more minimalist approach. Wasn't completely sold on the results. Ive also been thinking the Doepfer A-180-9 multicore may be a convenient solution for this. Anyone use these for similar reasons?
crisponline
AuralAntithesis wrote:
after much contemplation, I have set up 2 cases.

One for my noisy but techno influenced stuff, and the other for all the more esoteric/straight up noise/drone stuff.

It can also be fun to set it up and try to focus on the more limited stuff you have in one case and maximize the noise / set times you can get out of it.

Baseck gave the advise when he was prompted last weekend in Seattle to "juice all you can out of each module / drive it like you stole it" !! paraphrased but SOLID ADVICE!

Guinness ftw! Crash

I'm in the process of dividing a bigger rack into two smaller systems with more focused groups and its changing my workflow in exactly the way you describe. Limits are great!

(says the person who just bought another case...)
BananaPlug
Quote:
I ended up with this weird triple case layout which Im pretty fond of but moving the thing for a gig and keeping it patched is a nightmare and pretty much impossible

Maybe one aspect of how I pack is relevant. In the last few years I pared back to a much smaller system mainly to make it more practical but it was a good exercise for me too. There are three parts: A group of four pedals, a two row 10fu frac frame, and a dense two row 36hp euro frame.

To make it fit neatly in my case I do have to break things down a bit. The key is to not to completely unplug and give preference to the dense and fiddly euro rows. Admittedly I went overboard cramming stuff into that euro.

Cables are unplugged from the pedals which get wrapped in bubble wrap. Cables that start and end on the frac frame stay put but ones going to the euro are unplugged from the frac only, staying connected to the euro. This leaves the euro with a mane of cables hanging from it but at this point the frac and euro frames are free and can be moved independently for packing.

Maybe you can work out your own logic for leaving things half unplugged among your three big racks. To put things back together, it's not hard to reconnect the cables connected at one end. They kind of prompt you.

^ That's most of it. A thin rectangle of plywood floats on top and the lid has almost two inches of clearance to hold odds and ends like AC strip and bulky AC & audio cables. That void near the euro stuff helps a bulky pair of headphones to fit. One box, 33 pounds.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1