MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good budget Monitor for Mac Mini ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Good budget Monitor for Mac Mini ?
h4ndcrafted
Had iMacs the last few years, gone with a mini this time.

Looking for 25-30 inch max monitor suggestions

Needs
Audio work
Some photo and video , but just casual editing , wouldn’t mind some already calibrated colour reproduction though.

Normally used to get dells , but I like the look of the BenQ’s as they say they come calibrated well ?
Any suggestions, some slim lines to match the Mac would be a bonus.

Cheap as possible new, must be under £300 though.

I was looking at this fella

BenQ PD2500Q 25 Inch 1440p QHD Monitor for Graphic Design, IPS, 100% Rec. 709, sRGB, 10 bit Eye-Care, Height Adjustable, Flicker-Free, Anti-Glare, HDMI, DP https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0737M9QP7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_tniMDbNW4P6R 5

Wouldn’t mind much cheaper if the colour is good, pref 4K but does it really matter at these screen sizes ?
rkiwi
It Depends if you want one just for music making or good for other things macs are used for such as adobe and maybe video editing etc?
my suggestion was going to be a dell ultra sharp but that might be a bit very frustrating (Prricccceeeey)
I love my 27" it has so much space to see a whole song but it died. Dead Banana
so i'm saving up to fix it (blacklight i think) we're not worthy

> Some photo and video , but just casual editing , wouldn’t mind some already calibrated colour reproduction though.

the photo editing side of the work is always gonna increase the bottom dollar for colour depth. (300+) reasong being in case causal work goes pro

1080 or 4k / 8k? it depends what you're editing and colour depth.

I was going to say your BENQ is a good start.

> Audio work
IMO (In My Opinion) save a bit more get a 27" a least

> Slim Lines to Match a Mac
some of my friends used a TV and said screw it for their music screen but regretted it when it came to editing.

So maybe look into a wall mount or tv mount depending on size of the screen
personally when I get my stuff sorted it will be a monitor arm (In the Middle) and two wall mounts flanking the side.
With this in mind I had searched for flat screens and not curved.

Here is some screens ill suggest don't know the company selling them though as it was index on a product engine but amazon is good at times for warranty etc

Format:

(#)
    Brand and Model:
    Deets Summary:
    Price:

(1)
Asus VG248QE
Deets Summary:
Maximum resolution: 2560x1440
Screen size: 23.8 inches
Refresh rate: 165 Hz
TNLED
Price: Cheapest £298.80 . Amazon£379
Quote:
https://www.itcsales.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000002.pl?WD=s2417dg%20dell&PN=De ll%2dMonitor%2dS2417DG%2d24%2d%2dG%2dSYNC%2dQHD%2dWidescreen%2dLED%2d% 2dFactory%2dSecond%2d%2dVGGY4%2d18007%2ehtml#SID=242

Quote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IOO4SGK/ref=asc_df_B01IOO4SGK1559250000 000/?tag=pjuk-amazon.co.uk-21&creative=22374&creativeASIN=B01IOO4SGK&l inkCode=df0&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

(2)
Benq XL2430T
Deets Summary:
Maximum resolution: 1920x1080 16:9
Screen size: 24 inches
Refresh rate: 144 Hz
TNLED
Price:£299.99/b]
Quote:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq-xl2430-zowie-24-1920x1080-tn-144hz -widescreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-107-bq.html

(3)
[b]Samsung S27R750Q

Deets Summary:
Maximum resolution: 2560x1440
Screen size: 27 inches
Refresh rate: 144 Hz
VALED

Price: Amazon£304.97
Quote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P47DM1P/ref=asc_df_B07P47DM1P1568980800 000/?tag=pjuk-marketplace-21&creative=22374&creativeASIN=B07P47DM1P&li nkCode=df0&smid=A2I0R8NBK4UE30

> Final Notes
Personally i'd save up more. happy to help more or again.
Yours the Kiwi.
Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama! Bananallama!
sutekina bipu-on
you dont want 4k for audio use. more software than you probably realize is designed for lower resolution screens.

a widescreen 1080p is pretty much the way to go. same vertical resolution as 1080p, 150% the horizontal resolution. trust me, it's so nice to stretch out your DAW screen like that! lg makes some nice cheap ones in your budget. i use a LG 29WK600-W myself, absolutely love it, and it was barely over 200 new

i cant help you if you want a monitor that looks nicer when powered off though lol
rkiwi
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
you dont want 4k for audio use. more software than you probably realize is designed for lower resolution screens.

a widescreen 1080p is pretty much the way to go. same vertical resolution as 1080p, 150% the horizontal resolution. trust me, it's so nice to stretch out your DAW screen like that! lg makes some nice cheap ones in your budget. i use a LG 29WK600-W myself, absolutely love it, and it was barely over 200 new

i cant help you if you want a monitor that looks nicer when powered off though lol

he also photo edits so 4k offers him the depth of colour not for the resolution.
Panason
+1 for LG.
sutekina bipu-on
rkiwi wrote:
sutekina bipu-on wrote:

he also photo edits so 4k offers him the depth of colour not for the resolution.

That doesnt make sense. 4k is a resolution and makes no claims of color depth.

I understand some monitors are superior for color depth and accuracy however with a budget of 300 in any currency, you pretty much pick from who has the best price on an IPS in the size you like and calibrate the color yourself.

However none of these IPS i am looking at appear to have 10-bit HDR which my $250 LG ultrawide does.
h4ndcrafted
That’s the thing , I’d like to avoid calibrating it , I used to do it with a spider.

It’s probably overkill for me to go to self calibration lengths. I’m looking to get an iPad Pro so I can use photoshop on there. But for now I’d like something that’s ok, I know at this budget that’s a big ask though.

I work mainly in clip view in live, and just swipe to arrangement view as you can split the two views on separate desktops, so I just swipe back and forth with my magic pad. Having arrangement view there all the time isn’t a big deal for me. But I must say I find my 21 inch iMac, or whatever it is, small.

About 4K, I just not sure whether I will benefit , yes I’ll be sitting close , but I have heard people say with TVs , you won’t need it until you get over 40 inches.
I’m assuming sitting closer to a monitor , I might notice more. I’m just looking to get something at least as good as my aging iMac screen , which is a 2011 model.
xonetacular
If it were just for audio I would say go with one of the Korean 27" 1440p displays. I have two qnix displays that I love with ultra thin bezels. Idk how the color accuracy is but I don't really care and they were like $300 each a few years ago, i'm sure price has come down even more. But 27" 1440p is a good size/resolution either way.

1080p looks like shit on anything over 24" and just ok at that size.
rowsbywoof
I'm in the Dell camp as well. They've been quality monitors, and I've bought tons for work over the years and had zero issues with them. These days I'm mostly laptop only, just due to portability and I've learned to work with less real estate, but I've had my eye on a nice Dell for the desk for a little while to get something big for when I want to work on a project that needs more space. I had one of the massive Dell 40 inch monitors at work and loved it... it's a bit overkill, but on sales weekends they're not too badly priced and boy are they nice.
Shrigg
I use a Dell 27” 4K with a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15” that I’ve been really happy with for the last 4-5 years. I calibrated it with an x-rite screen calibrater. Great color and no problems.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1