MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel grounding tips
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel grounding tips
Nicken85
Hey!

Sorry for n00b question maybe but I was wondering if I can get rid of the ground in any other way than plugging a banana in the ground jack and putting the other end on my body? smile

Thanks!
fonik
I do not have an Easel nor do I know about the actual PSU used, however, for those situations I built myself a mains-plug with modified with a banana socket connected to the mains safety earth only.
ArguZ
What he means is that he want to make a magic potential without a proper ground.
Which is impossible, sadly smile
Th capacitance keyboard needs exactly that, a body to case connection.
Cet a 5$ anti static wrist band from radio shack or Ali Express.
That is what i use...
fonik
Really?
For the TKB we use an external PSU with mains earth connected to 0V/COM of the TKB. This is the approach that should work for the Music Easel as well:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201326
ArguZ
I am almost sure he speaks of the the phenomena of not getting the capacity keyboard to act properly as there is the misconception that one needs to ground the Easel to something, which is wrong.
The black banana is there to provide a proper 0V reference to anything interfere with its CV inputs...
External keyboards, or modules or the human body.
So some people put a banana cable in their pants, and that is the way it works smile

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Grounding-Alligator-RTK-002-Detachable  /dp/B004N8ZQKY

If it is about actual ground, my apologies, then one needs a proper three pin medical grade wall wart which does the job just fine.
fonik
To be honest, I would be the last person to claim deep knowledge of the Easel and how it works. Nonetheless, I am always a friend of having audio gear properly grounded.
Nicken85
ArguZ wrote:
I am almost sure he speaks of the the phenomena of not getting the capacity keyboard to act properly as there is the misconception that one needs to ground the Easel to something, which is wrong.

This is it. But I’m still confused about why some people need it and some people don’t? Is it because of the wall outlet?

Thanks for the answers everyone
christie
In my case it's dimmer switches. I only have a few circuits in the house without any. The behavior of my 218e is totally different depending on whether a dimmer switch is on, and on the same circuit as the Easel or off/on a clean circuit.

I was going to say with the lights on and off it's like night and day, but stopped myself.
Nicken85
Aaah ok so it has to do with the circuits and not the actual wall outlet? Sorry for beginner questions but have never needed to deal with ground in my entire life smile
ArguZ
It really has nothing to do with "Ground" as in earth in the wall socket.
Look at your wall wart, it probably does not have a third lead anyway.
But the capacitance needs a reference , your body electric to null itself against.
So, if you play in true 70s fashion butt naked and the Easel has a grounded wall wart, it will work.
But most people i had to interact with would wear some sort of cloth, especially shoes and that negates the ground contact.
Ergo, a direct connection to the case is needed and the 218 will perform perfectly fine
captnapalm
ArguZ wrote:
But the capacitance needs a reference , your body electric to null itself against.
So, if you play in true 70s fashion but naked and the Easel has a grounded wall wart, it will work.
But most people i had to interact with would wear some sort of cloth, especially shoes and that negates the ground contact.
Ergo, a direct connection to the case is needed and the 218 will perform perfectly fine

I'd still like to know why my original 70s 218 never had this issue, and why the 218R doesn't seem to either...
ArguZ
You can borrow me your original 70s one and i can do some measurements wink
papz
It's because the original 70s one is gold plated. spinning
Nicken85
ArguZ wrote:
So, if you play in true 70s fashion but naked and the Easel has a grounded wall wart, it will work.

Ok I think I get it now. Will try to put some clothes and shoes on wink thanks!
cleaninglady
I sometimes get a different response from the 218e keyboard attached to my DIY 208r Easel. I seem to think even humidity could be a factor.
ArguZ
no
and not voodoo either
or magnetic sun storms
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1