MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Live master out DJ EQ/compressor
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Live master out DJ EQ/compressor
th0mas
I'm looking for a tiny box that I could use on my live setup master out, that could do DJ style EQ and some compression.

Right now I use octatrack with track 8 as master but I want to free up my fx slots on the OT so I can use them for more fun transition effects.

Small is key, I could fit two half rack boxes if they're not too deep, or maybe like a 10cm x 10cm desktop box.

I was going to investigate old effectrix filter queen? And maybe a pedal? Obviously I want passable quality since it's on my master mic.

Any ideas? Thanks
xonetacular
dont rule out an analog heat. pretty great stereo filter plus eq. some of the distortion modes can also be subtle and useful on the master (enhancement is nice).

Heat can kinda do some compression but FMR RNLA if you want a cheap dedicated bus compressor
Kreis
He has exactly what you are looking for!:

https://youtu.be/g4KpYhDGCmI?t=488
soup
I love the bugbrand stereo compress on the main outs of the octatrack, it's magic glue. I would assume any other ssl style compressor would be nice too but the filters in the sidechain on the scomp are really special.

I don't have a stereo filter nowadays but would love to try the octatrack with something like a bozure isolator.
Kreis
After doing some research:
For getting a masterbus-chain including compression, some sound sculpting eq and an output transformer stage you could use this:

https://store.louderthanliftoff.com/collections/mister-focus/products/ mister-focus-comp?variant=15339388797037

As an enclosure you could use the Fredenstein Bento 2 or maybe an Heritage Audio OST-6 and add some other things to the rack
th0mas
Thanks everyone for posting

Kreis wrote:

Super cool - but that's a custom job. That box is called "Martin Stimming's Instant Mastering Chain", by someone named Doctron

Personally I'm not a big fan of the analog heat. I have an elektron analog four and analog rytm, and in both cases I find Elektron's overdrive/distortion flavors to be passable at best. I prefer overdriving some old mixers like a Boss BX-6, or an EHX big muff for all out distortion.

OTO Boum is another box that sort of does this, but I need to listen to it more to see. Reviews seem mixed.

Also found another Elektron user talking about using just an RNC compressor with a passive highpass filter on the sidechain input, going to investigate that. At $150 and available everywhere it might be a better place to start than the bugbrand, which looks awesome but is half the planet away from me

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-elect ronic-music-production/1050097-tuning-fmr-audio-rnc-techno-hpf-sc-loop .html
DiscoDevil
I use the Bozure ISO-201 strapped across the master inserts on my mixer. It obviously doesn't do compression but you could daisy chain something else off of it if you wanted. I love having a DJ style isolator to add dynamics to my live sets and it's useful in the studio as well. It sounds great, is built very well and also affordable. Highly recommended.
xonetacular
th0mas wrote:

Also found another Elektron user talking about using just an RNC compressor with a passive highpass filter on the sidechain input, going to investigate that. At $150 and available everywhere it might be a better place to start than the bugbrand, which looks awesome but is half the planet away from me

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-elect ronic-music-production/1050097-tuning-fmr-audio-rnc-techno-hpf-sc-loop .html

yes, that works but RNLA is a better bet than RNC for this

Even if you don't use the Heat distortion it can't really be beat for the money just as a stereo multimode filter/EQ. I have one just for this purpose and looked at all the other rack mount stereo filters. Super useful and tweakable, reminds me of a Xone DJ filter, and you get extra low/high EQ knobs.
nectarios
I use Heat into TC Electronic Finalizer Plus. The Finalizer does the trick, lots of clean gain, very nice converters, and very easy setting up the multiband compressor/limiter (and save the preset) with great visual feedback in clubs where monitoring on stage is less than ideal.

Heat I only use the as a DJ style EQ for the live sets and only in the Clean Boost setting.
Saturation and Enhancement are ok, but I don't need that much colouration (or bottom end "shaving") in the stereo buss.

This set up will not yield the RMS a properly mastered track will, so as anything else, its always good to make friends with the in house engineer, explain that you are basically playing "raw" and the limiter serves only as protection for his PA/ears and that they need to turn you up when you're playing so that you are closer to the CDJs.

Depending on where you are playing though, there might be dBA meters anyway so you'll turn it up right below their limiter.
Panason
DiscoDevil wrote:
I use the Bozure ISO-201 strapped across the master inserts on my mixer. It obviously doesn't do compression but you could daisy chain something else off of it if you wanted. I love having a DJ style isolator to add dynamics to my live sets and it's useful in the studio as well. It sounds great, is built very well and also affordable. Highly recommended.

You don't use some kind of compressor/limiter?
DiscoDevil
Panason wrote:
DiscoDevil wrote:

You don't use some kind of compressor/limiter?

Nope. I'm sure there's something on the sound systems I'm plugged in to but nothing on my rig. I have a delay pedal and a modulation pedal on send/returns and the 3 band isolator across the master inserts. That's it.
nectarios
Kreis wrote:

Damn!
Nowhere to be found though...
th0mas
Looks like in sturgeon's new rig he uses OTO BOUM

https://www.reddit.com/r/TechnoProduction/comments/deyt4g/the_art_of_p roduction_surgeons_techno_live_setup/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_ app
CF3
I’ve had and used both the Analog Heat and OTO Boum. I love the distortion on the Heat, but I find the resonance somewhat unusable on the filter. The Boum I didn’t really like at all TBH. IMO, you’re way better off with a FMR unit as far as compression goes. I really wanted to like the Boum, but I just don’t think it sounds very good.
th0mas
I ended up getting a good deal on a bugbrand stereo compressor. It doesn't solve my filtering issues but hopefully gives my live mix some glue and a gain boost, and hopefully lets me stop pushing the octatrack channels quite as hard. Might pick up a bozure or something similar to go with it at some point when one appears in my country, or maybe a decent multi-fx
th0mas
I ended up getting a decent deal on a Bugbrand Stereo Compressor. It's a prototype version so it's green, has no light behind the compression meter, and the sidechain is only the high/low cut and no FX loop.

That being said it's doing a nice job on my master bus of my live set, here's my latest practice session:

https://burns.ca/static/oct16.mp3
sutekina bipu-on
th0mas wrote:
I'm looking for a tiny box that I could use on my live setup master out, that could do DJ style EQ and some compression.

Right now I use octatrack with track 8 as master but I want to free up my fx slots on the OT so I can use them for more fun transition effects.

Small is key, I could fit two half rack boxes if they're not too deep, or maybe like a 10cm x 10cm desktop box.

I was going to investigate old effectrix filter queen? And maybe a pedal? Obviously I want passable quality since it's on my master mic.

Any ideas? Thanks

It's not ideal in my eyes for compression duties but to make the best of the space available, had you considered a kaoss pad? Opinions on the kaoss compressor is all over the place so demo it first for sure. If half rack works, you may like to use a boss vf1 which are cheap atm.
th0mas
sutekina bipu-on wrote:

It's not ideal in my eyes for compression duties but to make the best of the space available, had you considered a kaoss pad? Opinions on the kaoss compressor is all over the place so demo it first for sure. If half rack works, you may like to use a boss vf1 which are cheap atm.

I had the x0xb0x and TR-606 going into a little mixer and KP-3 before I realized the octatrack I had sitting on the shelf unused would be the perfect fit. Personally I am not a fan of the user interface, or the sound quality of the KP-3.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1