MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I need suggestions to properly sync my gear
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author I need suggestions to properly sync my gear
seta666
Hello,

I use the following set up; Ableton live 10 together with a 6U 104HP, three volcas and a Keystep.

In the case I have a DFAM, O-Coast and SQ-1 plus few other modules. Both SQ-1 and O-Coast can convert midi to CV.

Main problem I face is DFAM´s start/stop, I do not know how to use it properly.

As far as I know volcas/sq-1 send clock plus start/stop signals via 1/8" TRS, so I tried connecting SQ-1 sync out to DFAM RUN/STOP and ADV/CLOCK CV inputs via a trs to dual ts cable with no success. I guess volca´s star/stop signal is different to DFAM´s.

I do not mind which one I use as master(computer, SQ-1, volcas, Keystep or DFAM, I just want them to start/stop at the same time.

Regards
Javier
Koekepan
I would use MIDI.

I would not use the internal sequencers of these devices, but sequence them over MIDI.

Use Ableton as your master sequencer, and drive everything from there.

This is analogous to how I use a Social Entropy Engine to sequence many different devices (including Neutron and Boog, multiple Volcas and Boutiques).
Panason
Use Ableton as the master and enable MIDI clock ouput for each MIDI port inLive's preferences.

I found its necessary to enable count-in at Live's metronome and start playback by using Rec+ Play, because Ableton sucks and there is no option to enable the count-in for playback without recording . The count-in starts sending MIDI clock and gives the machines time to sync up. Without that the machines tend to start late.

You'll also have to apply a negative offset in Live's clock outputs to properly sync hardware with whatever Live is playing.
Panason
Quote:

I would use MIDI.

I would not use the internal sequencers of these devices, but sequence them over MIDI.

Use Ableton as your master sequencer, and drive everything from there.

This is really the best way to do it if you want to make full tracks- sequencing everything from one sequencer is the way to go.
seta666
Well, I do like external sequencer, the ones I have are all good fun.

Some of Volca´s functions are only accessible from its own sequencer (eg slides and reverse EG on volca Kick and probability and rachets on volca drum)

Sq-1 is good fun too as is volca FM

Same with DFAM, I get better and faster loops with its own sequencer but I also use SQ-1 sometimes.

Today I tried sequencing it from keystep and looks quite promising, also if I use sync out from the keystep I solve the run/stop issue. Keystep stops sending clock whe you stop the sequencer, the volcas do not.

Another problem is that not all sequencers respond the same to midi clock, there is a +/- 5ms difference between them. When you apply delay to midi clock you do so to all midi channels in that output, fortunatly now I have 3 midi outs (keystep, presonus 1810 and sq-1 so I will keep testing to find best settings.

I rather use ableton as a multitrack, I record clips of different lengths and then use the arranger with those.

Regards
Javier
Panason
If you don't sequence sounds on Ableton and it' s just a recorder then things are a little simpler.

I have found that trying to synchronise sequencers tends to bog me down with timing problems, which totally kills the creative vibe. Without a DAW that can apply offset to its MIDI clock outputs, a sync box is a must-have for a reliable setup.
babysam
I have a similar question, but please let me know if it's been covered in another thread.

I use an MPC 1000 and us it as the master sequencer for a while and using Abelton as a mixer with all the synths and effects routed through it.

The tempo fluctuates in Abelton since the MPC clock has some drift, but Abelton always plays back at a more rigid internal tempo so I would have to warp everything to the Abelton clock if I want to make any edits.

Is there a better way to get these two to play together? Considering just dumping abelton and using my Tascam or line out on my mixing board.
Xmit
Get an ERM Multiclock & all your problems go away... that's what I did.

I never even have to think about sync issues now. I even use it to play out live. cool
Panason
babysam wrote:

The tempo fluctuates in Abelton since the MPC clock has some drift, but Abelton always plays back at a more rigid internal tempo so I would have to warp everything to the Abelton clock if I want to make any edits.

Is there a better way to get these two to play together? Considering just dumping abelton and using my Tascam or line out on my mixing board.

Dumping Ableton is a very good move. Otherwise, have you tried using it as the master clock? It makes sense that the recording device should be the master.
Fastus
You might want to look into something like a Sync-GenII for set & forget sample accurate sync - they come up periodically in the used section here and @ Control. I've heard MIDI clocking is not that reliable - perhaps it depends on the implementation.

https://www.innerclocksystems.com/syncgen-ii
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1